Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Best:
    DVD style cases (PS2/XBox/GC)
    CD cases (JP Saturn, PSone, etc)
    Genesis/Master System plastic snap cases (the winner, IMO).

Worst:
    Cardboard/Paper boxes (SNES, NES, Genesis, etc.)
    Saturn/Sega CD/Early PSone

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Best:
    DVD style cases (PS2/XBox/GC)
    CD cases (JP Saturn, PSone, etc)
    Genesis/Master System plastic snap cases (the winner, IMO).

Worst:
    Cardboard/Paper boxes (SNES, NES, Genesis, etc.)
    Saturn/Sega CD/Early PSone

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best packaging of all time

definately the odyssey Master Strategy Series.

I liked the genesis for general packaging the best (but loathed the tabs at the top)

but my favourite general packaging was the old parker series boxes, frogger, empire, etc...
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best packaging of all time

definately the odyssey Master Strategy Series.

I liked the genesis for general packaging the best (but loathed the tabs at the top)

but my favourite general packaging was the old parker series boxes, frogger, empire, etc...
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love:
    MegaDrive/Master System for their uniform appearance
    All current gen standard boxes for being only as thick as they need to be. (Euro DS boxes look nice in my opinion but I prefer the size of the American ones.)

Hate:
    PAL PS1 & Dreamcast - break too easy
    PAL Saturn (the plastic/cardboard/crappy glue ones not the all plastic ones) - fall apart
    Anything cardboard:

Me: "Do you have the box for that?"
    Them: "We threw it out 'cos it was made of the same stuff our breakfast cereal comes in."
    Me: "I want to hate you but can't fault your logic."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love:
    MegaDrive/Master System for their uniform appearance
    All current gen standard boxes for being only as thick as they need to be. (Euro DS boxes look nice in my opinion but I prefer the size of the American ones.)

Hate:
    PAL PS1 & Dreamcast - break too easy
    PAL Saturn (the plastic/cardboard/crappy glue ones not the all plastic ones) - fall apart
    Anything cardboard:

Me: "Do you have the box for that?"
    Them: "We threw it out 'cos it was made of the same stuff our breakfast cereal comes in."
    Me: "I want to hate you but can't fault your logic."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the SNES-boxes cause they are hard to find in mint condition. These are the best for collectors.

I hate the PS2/Xbox-cases.....you can buy 10 of them for 1,99 Dollar....worthless
    www.sealedvideogames.net... a new forum about factory sealed games (JAP, US and PAL) !!! Language: english

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the SNES-boxes cause they are hard to find in mint condition. These are the best for collectors.

I hate the PS2/Xbox-cases.....you can buy 10 of them for 1,99 Dollar....worthless
    www.sealedvideogames.net... a new forum about factory sealed games (JAP, US and PAL) !!! Language: english

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love:
    #1 Saturn!
    I know many hate their oddball size, being frail, or other little things but they are great to me. The shape and size is just something I like.

#2 Sega CD
    Because they are just like the Saturn's dimentions so they look good together and the side colors make the distinction.

#3 Early PS
    The big cases for the first Playstation games. The ones I didn't like were the cardboard+plastic ones like for Doom.

#4 Nintendo DS
    Although I don't have one yet, when I do I love those little cases! It's like a mini DVD case with well detailed sides that give off a statement.

Hate:
    All cardboard/thick paper boxes that tear, fold, fall apart, and ultimately cause many, many loose games for their system.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love:
    #1 Saturn!
    I know many hate their oddball size, being frail, or other little things but they are great to me. The shape and size is just something I like.

#2 Sega CD
    Because they are just like the Saturn's dimentions so they look good together and the side colors make the distinction.

#3 Early PS
    The big cases for the first Playstation games. The ones I didn't like were the cardboard+plastic ones like for Doom.

#4 Nintendo DS
    Although I don't have one yet, when I do I love those little cases! It's like a mini DVD case with well detailed sides that give off a statement.

Hate:
    All cardboard/thick paper boxes that tear, fold, fall apart, and ultimately cause many, many loose games for their system.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even as a young lad, I despised Nintendo for supplying their games in cardboard boxes. They were made for breaking. Go to any fleamarket, note how many Sega games comes with their boxes intact, and how rare NES boxes are, not to mention good-looking ones.

Of course, as an old computer gamer, I am partial to the big, luxurious boxes of the late eighties and early nineties. Microprose had wonderful boxes with slip covers. Nowadays, computer games come in cheap DVD cases, with no manuals to speak of.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even as a young lad, I despised Nintendo for supplying their games in cardboard boxes. They were made for breaking. Go to any fleamarket, note how many Sega games comes with their boxes intact, and how rare NES boxes are, not to mention good-looking ones.

Of course, as an old computer gamer, I am partial to the big, luxurious boxes of the late eighties and early nineties. Microprose had wonderful boxes with slip covers. Nowadays, computer games come in cheap DVD cases, with no manuals to speak of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Megadrive boxes get a big 'thumbs-up' from me too. Also Neo Pocket hardcases. Absolute quality. It's also nice that PC Engine HuCards come in CD sized cases too.

I'm not sure why everyone dislikes PAL Dreamcast and PSone game cases? None of mine are broken, nor are any of the crazily oversized NTSC/U SegaCD/Saturn cases.

I also think that BigBear's Shockboxes deserve a mention. It's great having all the MVS and PGM games lined up on the shelf, all with absolutely huge full-frontal inserts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Megadrive boxes get a big 'thumbs-up' from me too. Also Neo Pocket hardcases. Absolute quality. It's also nice that PC Engine HuCards come in CD sized cases too.

I'm not sure why everyone dislikes PAL Dreamcast and PSone game cases? None of mine are broken, nor are any of the crazily oversized NTSC/U SegaCD/Saturn cases.

I also think that BigBear's Shockboxes deserve a mention. It's great having all the MVS and PGM games lined up on the shelf, all with absolutely huge full-frontal inserts.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I, too, think that my collection of microprose games has some of the best packaging. Remember the sturdy cardboard for red storm rising or pirates! Good stuff

Insert Coin (Level 0) mydjsobad's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

favorite: DS, for all of the reasons everyone else has already mentioned. Plus I like how if I wanted to, I could line them up with my GCN games and they would like up pretty uniformly.

least favorite: PSP, the slot to hold the manual is flimsy as hell and the cases are completely different size from every other DVD/CD case I own, so it's impossible to line them up anywhere and have it look even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

the middle bit in CD Jewel cases sometimes break the CD hole,

and DVD cases, the middle prongs (?) actually break off sometimes (cheap plastic).

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always like cartboard boxes, like NES, GBA and old PC games Genesis/Mega Drive boxes are also good because they are sturdy and dont take damage that easy.

I never been a fan of PC games in DVD cases. Altho they are sturdy, but still, i miss the big old boxes

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the DS cases....but I wish that they had a flat bottom edge so that they would actually stand up instead of lean against each other. Why couldn't they have used that size for the Cube discs, silly Nintendo.

I really like the see-through green 360 cases too. It beats the plain black of the PS2 cases.

Ain't nothing wrong with the jewel cases of the PSX/Dreamcast days either. I kind of think that the DVD-sized cases are "blah". They get filthy and ripped in the hands of your average moron and I hate that when hunting games in the wild.

And even though it's not what we're talking about, let me say once again......Working Designs had THE best fucking packages ever. I weep that they are gone.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The worst game packaging ever is the PS2 Super Bust A Move. Downright horrid.

I liked the US Megaman 2 cover, though. I liked it a lot.