Thread: Xbox and MAME Questions

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox and MAME Questions

Recently, I posed a question to Flack in a PM. His suggestion was that I post it here as someone may be a bit more helpful than himself. He's very modest anyway onto the question.....

Currently, I participate in the Monday Morning MAME Club but to my dismay, the past two choices (QIX and Boogiewings) were not listed with my ROMS. I'm using the BAED which I've loaded to my hard drive on the console. If I download the rom from the link provided and burned it to a (CD or DVD?) can I take that disc and load it to the rom files on my xbox?

and

would I load the .zip file or the extracted files?

now obviously it would be a lot easier if I could just FTP it to my xbox but at this time, that is not an option.
    so there is my question and a bit of background. Can anyone help me out?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would THINK that you would load the zip files. Why can't you ftp to the xbox hd? Still using the stock hd, and have it too full?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ohhh no. I've got a 250 gig hard drive with nearly 120gb of free space available. Due to some HIPPA regulations (medical stuff) regarding my wifes laptop, I choose not to ftp and such with it. That and the fact that I dont even own all the equipment necessary to set up a connection

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddychester
    Ohhh no. I've got a 250 gig hard drive with nearly 120gb of free space available. Due to some HIPPA regulations (medical stuff) regarding my wifes laptop, I choose not to ftp and such with it. That and the fact that I dont even own all the equipment necessary to set up a connection
    Ahhh... yes.
    Is that the only pc you have access to? ??? If not, the "Equipment" you need consists of a network card in your pc(damn near every pc in the last 5 years at least has one) and a crossover cable. (Msft tries to market fancy ass "system link" cables; they're just normal Crossover cables with an inflated price tag). We're talking a $15 equipment investment that even a jewbag such as myself can pry out of the bag of gold :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All you need to do obviously is put the .zip file in your ROMS folder. Typical standard mame stuff.

Now how you do it is another story. The simplest and most obvious way is to just FTP it over. But since you can't even do that you're out of luck.

Another way is what you're saying.. which is to burn it to a DVD (or cd if your xbox can read them), then simply use an xbox file manager program to copy it from the dvd drive to the hard drive ROMS folder. These days there are lots of xbox file managers including some built into some dashboards like Evox. I still like the old boxplorer but that's since been overtaken. It's just a sentimental favorite (that and I know how to use it ). But yeah..you can do it that way.. just seems a lot more harder than FTPing though which would take all of 2 seconds.

BAED's game selection by the way is kinda crappy.. the guy didn't even put Robotron on there! WTF is that!?!? x_x