Thread: Shadow the Hedgehog/Sonic Riders: which version is the best?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shadow the Hedgehog/Sonic Riders: which version is the best?

Comparing graphics, sound, and other unique features, which of the three versions is the best, and which is 2nd best? Any versions running at 60fps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what i hear they all suck equally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Is this game anything like Sonic R for the Saturn? I have mixed feeling on Sonic R. On one hand, it's easily one of the best-looking Saturn games ever made. I'd say its 3-D engine is stronger than that of the engine behind the 3-D world portion in Sonic Jam. On the other hand, the game is a bitch to play.

I did get in the zone on Sonic R ONE TIME though... Almost made it to the end! I think there's a lot of hidden stuff in the game, a lot to discover, a lot to unlock. It might be a great game that no one gave a chance because of the learning curve. Then again, it might just suck.

Sorry to derail the thread. I'm curious about Sonic Riders, too. It seems that most of Sega's Sonic-themed games have been crappy lately. Shadow got terrible reviews, and I hear that the PS2 version of Astroboy was a big disappointment.

:/
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, on Sonic Heroes, the lead platform was the Cube, and it definitely made a difference. I say this because I had it on XBox first (while looking for the non-GH Cube version) and it was definitely a bit inferior. When I eventually get Shadow and Riders for collection purposes, I will be getting them on Cube. The controller just screams Sonic as well, with that huge A button.

I have played Shadow and it does totally suck, but I need it for the collection. Haven't yet played Riders. In general though, I think the PS2 versions are the worst as they lack any sort of optimization that the good PS2 games have. Not worth the time or money I guess.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I debated whether to get Heroes, Shadow and Riders on Xbox but eventually settled for PS2 (mainly due to the optional Japanese voices and the fact that I own the PS2 while my brother owns the Xbox). I know that since Sonic Team developed the games on GC, they should be the best on that platform. But I hear that both GC and Xbox do not have optional Japanese voices.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone actually played Riders? I'd love to hear some impressions, guys.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

They had a demo of it set up at my Gamestop. Played it for about five minutes, and that was enough for me, sadly. The controls have that "what the hell is supposed to be going on?!?" feeling.

Which sucks, because the game looks REALLY GOOD. Almost as if you dropped Sonic into F-Zero GX. The soundtrack was pretty good too (I have the title theme stuck in my head as we speak). One small thing I did note is that Sega seems to be using the cast from the Sonic X TV series instead of the VA from previous games now.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a Sonic Riders demo in the March OPM. It's okay but I'm somewhat disappointed. I expected it to be really intense like the Sonic levels in the Adventure series but it seems to slow down a lot. It could just be the PS2 version though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up Sonic Riders, obviously. Come on people.. its me.

But, I snagged both the PS2 and Cube versions, and I did try out the X-Box version. Obviously, the Cube and Xbox versions are the best, no framerate chugs, tight controls, the usual, but surprisingly, the PS2 version plays quite well.

Anyways, we all know Shadow was sort of a dud, but so far Riders is solid. I'm quite enjoying the game. Its difficult for a Sonic game, better voice acting, solid graphics, crazy amount of shit to keep track of during a race, fantastic CG, etc.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox

But, I snagged both the PS2 and Cube versions, and I did try out the X-Box version. Obviously, the Cube and Xbox versions are the best, no framerate chugs, tight controls, the usual, but surprisingly, the PS2 version plays quite well.

Anyways, we all know Shadow was sort of a dud, but so far Riders is solid. I'm quite enjoying the game. Its difficult for a Sonic game, better voice acting, solid graphics, crazy amount of shit to keep track of during a race, fantastic CG, etc.
    Why'd you get one for PS2 and one for the Gamecube, you weirdo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drummy
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox

Why'd you get one for PS2 and one for the Gamecube, you weirdo?
    I think that explains it drumz.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sign me up as another who's very interested in hearing reviews (from people here, not crappy magazines) of Riders. The characters look too "new school" for me, which is the same kind of thing that's turned me off to recent Mega Man stuff. That said, I love unrealistic racing games (see: Wipeout, F-Zero, Mario Kart, etc) so this would suit me well. *PLUS*, I not only unlocked and beat the crap out of Sonic R, but also enjoyed it completely while doing so.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard bits of the soundtrack from the mp3s that IGN posted, and I liked it. Sounds like the crazy Sonic Rush style made it across to Sonic Riders, which is great! I'd pick up the Cube or Xbox version, so it is good to hear that the framerate is pretty tight on those.

Basically, is it fun?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my PS2 Sonic Riders last night and was amazed that the frame rate was a solid 60 fps, whereas the frame rate in the demo was inconsistent. I guess it goes to show that you can never fully trust the demos of unreleased games. I also like the soundtrack very much, and was disappointed that there is no language select for the voices in the game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer
    I got my PS2 Sonic Riders last night and was amazed that the frame rate was a solid 60 fps, whereas the frame rate in the demo was inconsistent. I guess it goes to show that you can never fully trust the demos of unreleased games. I also like the soundtrack very much, and was disappointed that there is no language select for the voices in the game.
    Who is gonna be ripping me a copy of this wonderful soundtrack, then? Game doesn't hit the UK for almost another month. Someone needs to fix me up!

Wasn't the Black demo on PS2 supposed to be quite iffy, but the final version a fair bit better too?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am curious to find out if any of the three versions of Shadow the Hedgehog runs at 60 fps. I have seen the GC and Xbox versions of Sonic Heroes, and they do run at 60 fps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Quote Originally Posted by segagamer
    Who is gonna be ripping me a copy of this wonderful soundtrack, then? Game doesn't hit the UK for almost another month. Someone needs to fix me up!

Wasn't the Black demo on PS2 supposed to be quite iffy, but the final version a fair bit better too?
    I only played the Xbox one but, from what I have heard the PS2 and XBOX final versions are identical.