Thread: Seller wants refund because Ikaruga DC isn't US version

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seller wants refund because Ikaruga DC isn't US version

Quick Q guys

I sold a copy of Ikaruga DC last week. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1)

The title says "US Seller", there's a picture of a game that is clearly not American and has Japanese writing, and the game, of course, was never released in the US. The buyer (seems like a pretty young dude) is now contacting me saying it doesn't play on his DC, and wanting a full refund. I'm leaving the country on Thursday, so this really isn't possible. I sent him an email telling him that the game was never released in the US, and that there's a picture included for his inspection even if he was unsure. I also sent him links to places to buy DC-x, DC gameshark,etc. so he could play the game. What do you guys think?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You did the right thing, not your fault. He may try and hit you with a negative, but who knows. Hopefully he'll look into those sites and pick up something to boot up the import and stop complaining.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say send him a copy of the boot loader.

One of them utopia ones. Your format in your auction said ntsc us and canada. In fact it should have said Japan. I see how he could have been misled.

Let him know you will send him a boot disk he will need to use in order to play the game.

I use it with my ikaruga. If you have one you can burn it with disc juggular. The funny thing (from what I'm told) is disc juggular is the only burn soft that can do the dreamcast iso properly.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I am going to side with the buyer because

1. you have this in your auction.

Format: NTSC (US, Canada)
    2. picture is hard to make out. Us game nerds can tell a Japanese release from US release with a blurry picture but not the average public. They see NTSC (US, Canada) and thats what they think they are getting.

3. you spent more time talking about yourself than the item you were selling.

With a bit more detail about the item you were selling you could have prevented this.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I certainly didn't select NTSC-U/C; in fact, I've only now noticed it! I think this is the default. I haven't sold on ebay in the last year or so, and they didn't have these autofields back in the day.

That said, though, who is willing to spend 58 on Ikaruga but doesn't know it wasn't released in the US? Do we need to mention "Japanese version" when we sell Radiant Silvergun too?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    I certainly didn't select NTSC-U/C; in fact, I've only now noticed it! I think this is the default. I haven't sold on ebay in the last year or so, and they didn't have these autofields back in the day.

That said, though, who is willing to spend 58 on Ikaruga but doesn't know it wasn't released in the US? Do we need to mention "Japanese version" when we sell Radiant Silvergun too?
    That's why most sellers immediately state the region that games and other items are from. It may be obvious to you or me, but the average joe may not even realize what game regions are.

It says "JP" on the auction title, but nowhere does it say it won't work on US/European DCs. You kinda sorta let the door open for that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari

Yeah, I gotta side with the buyer because of this too. It may have been the default setting and you didn't mean to choose it but it is listed that way in the auction description and definitely misleading.

Also, the US GameCube version even has the same Japanese writing on the front of the box, so the buyer probably didn't think much of it when he saw it in the pic.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2. picture is hard to make out. Us game nerds can tell a Japanese release from US release with a blurry picture but not the average public. They see NTSC (US, Canada) and thats what they think they are getting.

With a bit more detail about the item you were selling you could have prevented this.
    I agree, you clearly stated "NTSC" in the auction, so of course the kid was expecting to be able to play this on his dc. Let him know about the boot loader, or give him a refund.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with this on all points. I'm sure you weren't purposefully trying to trick the buyer, but your listing was rather ambiguous.

However, the buyer should've spotted the "JP" in the listing title. So this hasn't been a perfect transaction on either of your parts. Like it's been said, offer him the boot loader and see if he'll call it even.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Except even if it does say JP in the title, you can't really expect everyone to know the abbrivation.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Except even if it does say JP in the title, you can't really expect everyone to know the abbrivation.
    ... not to mention, most everyone who sells Japanese items tend to use "JAP" instead of "JP". :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I don't think he was in the wrong. The JP in the title as well as the fact its IKARUGA for DC should be a dead giveaway it wont work on a US console. The US/NTSC was a pretty bad mistake, but I've seen it listed as such in MANY import auctions. I don't see why anyone would be looking for this game and not know its a japanese import.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think you were in any way wrong for the auction but I can see how he was confused. I buy anime dvds on ebay and until reading this post, I always thought "US seller" was saying the product was a US seller not that the seller is in the US. I'm probably just weird...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Seller wants refund because Ikaruga DC isn't US version

there's a picture of a game that is clearly not American and has Japanese writing,
    "Clearly"? Can't even see the cover. How is anybuyer supposed to know this is Japanese? Mis-leading. You'll likely lose the paypal case.

EDIT - False information: NTSC (US, Canada) It's NTSC but not u.s. or canada. No doubt. You will lose the paypal case.

I certainly didn't select NTSC-U/C; in fact, I've only now noticed it! I think this is the default.
    Having just listed an auction last night -NO- the default is "----" until you change it.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That said, though, who is willing to spend 58 on Ikaruga but doesn't know it wasn't released in the US?
    (raises hand) Ikaruga wasn't released in US? I thought it was. I've seen it in stores.

What I now see is a seller who made several mistakes. Poor picture. Poor description. Falsely advertising as "us/canada". But not willing to admit that he made those mistakes. He wants to blame the buyer for seller errors. Not good customer service.

NOTE - I'm Being generous with the word "mistakes". Given he chose u.s./canada & took a picture from a very very strange angle & I am inclined to think seller did this on purpose (to hide this was a japanese game).

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx

I certainly didn't select NTSC-U/C; in fact, I've only now noticed it! I think this is the default.
    Having just listed an auction last night -NO- the default is "----" until you change it.
    Actually I think that what ever you used the first auction you posted becomes the default because I've listed plenty of auctions and don't remember ever choosing one option of the other yet some how my auctions all shows as being NTSC compatible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Even the title of this thread is misleading. Seller wants refund?

I would just refund it, tell him to send it back. Then just relist it.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Burn the kid a copy of Utopia and send it along. Everyone's happy.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default The thing to do.......

You do a world of good if you address the compatibility in your own words. I sell games from time to time and always write my own descriptions, in which I explain what region a game is compatible with. Then I tell potential buyers I will not field questions about compatibility (how to play imports) because I don't want it to come back on me if some one-in-a-million goofus breaks their Dreamcast trying to get it to play imports. I occasionally read posts about someone trying to modify their machine or some other junk and then damaging their system. I mean let them search the friggin' net if they want to find out how to play games from another country. I also tell them no refund if they order a game that is not compatible with their region to find it doesn't work.

With that said, what percentage of DC buyers on Ebay do you expect would know the full list of US games? He probably thought it was just another (US) game, maybe bidding on it since he heard or thought it was rare. I'm sure this same thing has happened over Shenmue II.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also agree with the buyer in this case. Not all are collectors and know which games that was released in which countries. Not everyone knows what JP means either. I recommend you to use JAP or Japanese instead.

The default "Format: NTSC (US, Canada)" is also false info even if you didnt mean to have this info. Some sellers also write a notice that the game/movie doesnt work on a US system etc.

Ask the seller if you can send him one of those bootdiscs and hear what he says. If he doesnt want to i would just take the game back. No big problem imo, we have all done mistakes. You live and learn Hope it works out ok.