Thread: I hate my NES

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default I hate my NES

I still cannot get my NES to work right! I put a new 72pin connector in a few months ago, and worked fine at first then went dead again, worked before when I had it hooked up last year (before getting the DC). Been cleaning carts with the new cleaning kit I got, alhchol and q-tips up the wazoo and nothing!!

I'm sick of this!!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hrm.

So I assume it's "blinking" again? Were the carts clean when you were using your repaired NES, or did you use it a lot with "dirty" carts?

I consider a "dIrty" cart, any cart that has not seen alcohol and a q-tip for years+. I've never had a problem with my NES, or the 15 or so others I've put new pins in, however I never put a new find into my deck until I've cleaned it. The electricity running thru the contacts will make any dirt stick to the new pin.

Failing that, I'm guessing a bad pin.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I had given all my carts at the time a cleaning with the kit one my friend shad, before and after aquiring the new pin connector. Just recently started uing the q-tip method along with the cleaning kit I bought yesterday as well.

I see my father again I'll try to grab some WD-40 off him..how you use that for cleaning?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't use wd40 for contact cleaning. If I'm ever desperate enough to usea lubricant to clean contacts, I use a "tuner cleaner" spray I got from Radio Shack. Kinda pricey (10bucks a can) but it works well. It's a miracle worker on Atari paddle POTS.

Do you use a game genie a lot by any chance? I've heard they are hard on the NES pin design....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Do you use a game genie a lot by any chance? I've heard they are hard on the NES pin design....
    I used to when I was younger. Since putting in the new pin connector I have not used the NES Game Genie once.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds like your games are dirty.

Get a security bit and open your games and clean them. Q tips and alcohol really don't do that good of a job. Use an eraser and then clean with the alcohol and Q tips. I've been doing this and never have a problem!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have another solution for cleaning your NES games. It may seem a little radical, but it doesn't cost much and the games work PERFECTLY each time and EVERY time. Open up your NES game and clean the connectors on the cart with SANDPAPER. Yes sandpaper! 100 - 120 grit (fine grade, aluminum oxide sandpaper) Rub the sandpaper over the contacts and it will clean ANY game, even the most stubborn. As long as you clean all of your games, replace your connector properly and store the games properly when you are not using them, they will NEVER need to be cleaned again. I thought this was crazy to do at first, but the results speak for themself. Hope this helps you out.

Danny

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a fine metal wire brush on the boards that just won't come clean. works like a charm, and doesn't hurt the boards at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    I use a fine metal wire brush on the boards that just won't come clean. works like a charm, and doesn't hurt the boards at all.
    Fluke, you open up the carts themselves when you clean them with the metal wire brush or no?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    I have another solution for cleaning your NES games. It may seem a little radical, but it doesn't cost much and the games work PERFECTLY each time and EVERY time. Open up your NES game and clean the connectors on the cart with SANDPAPER. Yes sandpaper! 100 - 120 grit (fine grade, aluminum oxide sandpaper) Rub the sandpaper over the contacts and it will clean ANY game, even the most stubborn. As long as you clean all of your games, replace your connector properly and store the games properly when you are not using them, they will NEVER need to be cleaned again. I thought this was crazy to do at first, but the results speak for themself. Hope this helps you out.

Danny
    I totally agree. And if i can't find any sandpaper I'll use an fingernail file. Or my dremel tool with a wire brush attachement. I haven't had to re-clean my games since. Oh and with the fingernail file you don't have to take your games apart. But I suggest taking them apart so you can do a better and actually quicker job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I have least over a dozen games- new ones I've gotten and my older titles I really need to give a good cleaning to before I get a new NES from Achika also. I also don't have the security bit to open the carts up. So you recommend the nail file I guess and q-tip w/ alchol? When using the file, how can I tell when they're all clean and whatnot (obviously using the q-tip I'll stop seeing dirt on the swab).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    I have least over a dozen games- new ones I've gotten and my older titles I really need to give a good cleaning to before I get a new NES from Achika also. I also don't have the security bit to open the carts up. So you recommend the nail file I guess and q-tip w/ alchol? When using the file, how can I tell when they're all clean and whatnot (obviously using the q-tip I'll stop seeing dirt on the swab).
    If you would like a security bit, just PM me, I will hook you up with one for a couple bucks.

Danny

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Same thing with the fingernail file. At first you'll see green and black on it and after a couple of times you won't. Then just clean it off with the alcohol to get off the dust and you're good .

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'd recommend dipping your NES in SULFURIC ACID! That's right - SULFURIC ACID! It may seem radical, extreme, or even CRAZY but it WORKS, by gum! And if it doesn't try dropping your NES off of a very tall building. It seems wacky and nutso but holy smokes it works EVERY TIME.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I'd recommend dipping your NES in SULFURIC ACID! That's right - SULFURIC ACID! It may seem radical, extreme, or even CRAZY but it WORKS, by gum! And if it doesn't try dropping your NES off of a very tall building. It seems wacky and nutso but holy smokes it works EVERY TIME.
    I guess I will try blasting it with my shotgun as well, if the sandpaper doesn't work. :P :P :P :P

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Anyone got spare SMB/Duck Hunt carts to try this with? :P

@Vader, I PMed you about the bit.