Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Rare Xbox Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have about 140 Xbox games - a lot of those have been bought over the last couple of months with the EB/GS sales.

What's the opinion here on Marvel Vs Capcom 2? I loved the game on DC and am looking to pick it up again, but there's such a huge swing on the prices on Ebay that I'm not sure what's a decent price for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think Marvel Vs Capcom 2 auctions end up very high! So you must be a real fan of this game !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    (F1 2001 sucks by the way )
    Yes, yes it does. It's kinda like Night Driver with more colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    What's the opinion here on Marvel Vs Capcom 2? I loved the game on DC and am looking to pick it up again, but there's such a huge swing on the prices on Ebay that I'm not sure what's a decent price for it.
    It's a good game, but I could be satisfied with one of the cheaper 2D fighters. Samurai Shodown V is a possibility. But MvC2 is actually good. Just expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I have a question for all you with huge Xbox collections. Do you have any backup systems? Personally, I've always been hesitant to buy Xbox games because of the fact that you can't go into a store and buy a new Xbox if your current console breaks. I realize there are tons of used Xboxes out there, but really...are they even reliable?

Since this is DP, I feel I can openly admit that I've bought backup consoles (new, still in their boxes) for years. I have an extra Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, 360, GBA, etc. packed away waiting to be called into action if my current systems break down. I've spent $1000's of dollars on video game software, and will be damned if I suddenly can't play a particular title because by current machine is shot.

I'm curious if anyone else does this. I wish I could've picked up an extra Xbox while I had the chance...but I didn't. Like I said, this is the main reason I never pick up Xbox games that aren't backwards compatible.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Playstation 3--$249,Xbox 360 Prenium pack --$278

Horray! No Spam here!
    Last edited by PapaStu; 06-16-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't usually get new systems to keep as backups. Years later, I tend to pick up a system or two I find in the wild to keep around for backup purposes. I have something like three spare Dreamcasts, but I know that at least one of them have the 'bad controller port' syndrome.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I have a question for all you with huge Xbox collections. Do you have any backup systems? Personally, I've always been hesitant to buy Xbox games because of the fact that you can't go into a store and buy a new Xbox if your current console breaks. I realize there are tons of used Xboxes out there, but really...are they even reliable?

Since this is DP, I feel I can openly admit that I've bought backup consoles (new, still in their boxes) for years. I have an extra Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, 360, GBA, etc. packed away waiting to be called into action if my current systems break down. I've spent $1000's of dollars on video game software, and will be damned if I suddenly can't play a particular title because by current machine is shot.

I'm curious if anyone else does this. I wish I could've picked up an extra Xbox while I had the chance...but I didn't. Like I said, this is the main reason I never pick up Xbox games that aren't backwards compatible.

I think my idea is that should something go wrong with my system, I'll MOD it and buy parts to fix whatever is wrong. XBOX seems to have a good fanbase so hopefully spare parts and such should be around for some years.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

Yes.

This generation (PS2/XBox/Cube) was the first generation that I bought backup systems for. My launch model PS2 was backed up by a launch day Slim PSTwo, my launch day Cube was backed up by the Metroid Prime Bundle and my pre-launch built XBox was backed up by a Limited Edition Halo Bundle.

My PS2 is still going strong, but in the time being the Slim has become my primary unit (I had sent the slim out to my wife so she could have one when we had started dating, since she had left a PS2 behind when she moved), and the same can be said for my Cube.

My Original XBox did die. It had the infamous 'Thompson' drive in it, and after its many many hours (and newer meatier games like DOOM 3) it just went the DDE route really fast. I ended up buying another new system and left my Halo unit alone, but that was whe there were still some systems to be found in the wild.

For games i'm personally in the 180+ spot (I might have missed one or two) and have been buying on and off since launch. I'd own more, but I tend to buy for just a few too many systems to be healthy and the XBox and the Cube are the usual sufferers since they arn't played alot right now.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first Xbox had the Tompson drive and gave me DDEs from the moment I plugged it in. Even after sending it in twice for repair. Once the warranty wore off, MS wouldn't touch it though it was clearly a faulty system from the beginning. I once posted my experience on the Xbox.com forums, but they took it down after about twenty minutes. That Xbox is sitting on a shelf in the attic. All it needs is a new drive, which is no big deal.

My second Xbox has a Samsung drive, and it works great. Not a hiccup yet. As long as drives are readily available, I feel like I'm in good shape. In fact, when it comes to Xbox, spare drives will probably do the trick just as well as spare systems. Especially if you're using a Tompson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had my Xbox for 3+ years now and haven't had one problem with it (I have one of the Samsung models). I just try to keep the room it's in cool and dust-free (I run an air cleaner and will take a vacuum to it every couple of weeks). I'm not wrried about having any sort of back up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My Xbox has the Thompson drive in it, so I guess I need to pick up one of the limited edition type consoles I occasionally see in some shops around here. I've seen the Halo Xbox a few times in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe i'm on borderline territory, if i am let me know.

If my drive goes kaput in the future isn't it possible to just replace the DVD drive with a standard computer DVD drive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't believe you can use any off-the-shelf drive for the Xbox, you have to use one that's dedicated for the machine. I don't know if there's a ROM chip inside or it's got a specific firmware in it. Anyone know?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    HardcoreXBL
    PSN
    HrdcrePSN
    Steam
    Brother_Daniel

Here you lovely folks go:
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm - This gives you some ProTips on DIY repair. The Thompson DVD drive(which is what is in my modded box) is a POS, and will die on you.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php?p=191|192|#192 - This gives you a listing of tutorials from DVD repair to replacements. NEVER REPLACE A THOMPSON WITH A THOMPSON.

And this...
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/x...comparison.htm
    ...will tell you which version DVD drive you have.

Happy Xboxing!
    <Blackjax> YES!!! MIDGET WRESTLING ON THE SPANISH CHANNEL!!!!

Romans 3:23
    For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
    Romans 5:8
    But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    Romans 6:23
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    My Xbox has the Thompson drive in it, so I guess I need to pick up one of the limited edition type consoles I occasionally see in some shops around here. I've seen the Halo Xbox a few times in the past.
    hehehe, most LE xboxes use thomson drives (not all, but a lot of them). Also, most LE xboxes are systems that were returned to microsoft as faulty (the halo xboxes and the first round of the PAL crystal xboxes in particular). When i opened up my first halo system, someone had written "BAD" on the motherboard with a sharpie.

It would be illegal for microsoft to resell a system that had been returned, so to get around that pesky law most console manufacturers rebundle the system with a pack-in or a new case. As long as they can use a different SKU, they get around the law. All 3 console manufacturers use that trick BTW, it's amazing how many "Rare and expensive" limited edition systems were faulty returns...

The xbox dvd drives are normal retail drives with two differences. The "Fat table" is hard coded in the firmware (xbox discs use a fake boot sector so you can't read them from a normal PC). They also use a custom power connector (the connector also transmits the open/close door signal).

The general answer is that you'll need to steal a drive from one xbox to fix another. There are exceptions to this rule, but it's incredibly expensive and a real pain in the ass. You should be able to buy a replacement xbox drive for $20-40. That's the route i normally take.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rumor has it that microsoft threw any spare motherboard they had laying around when they made some of the japanese LE xboxes. It's not unheard of to crack open a panzer dragoon system and find a debug motherboard (with diabled debug features). DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, the odds are still insanely low. No point in cracking open a $700+ system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post

It would be illegal for microsoft to resell a system that had been returned, so to get around that pesky law most console manufacturers rebundle the system with a pack-in or a new case. As long as they can use a different SKU, they get around the law. All 3 console manufacturers use that trick BTW, it's amazing how many "Rare and expensive" limited edition systems were faulty returns...
    Kinda makes me wonder about my Forza bundle XBOX, but it does say it was manufactured in 2005.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Rumor has it that microsoft threw any spare motherboard they had laying around when they made some of the japanese LE xboxes. It's not unheard of to crack open a panzer dragoon system and find a debug motherboard (with diabled debug features). DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, the odds are still insanely low. No point in cracking open a $700+ system.
    Heh, got to remember to open my PDO LE Xbox and check -- it's already been opened before anyway.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ZumZamim

Nope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, while checking out a GameStop out of boredom, I bought a copy of Futurama for $20 used and Raze's Hell for $5 used. Turns out Futurama doesn't even have an instruction booklet, now that I check. At least it had a case..... GameStop's used game selection is around 80% in generic cases, which makes me wonder what the f*ck is wrong with people that they can't keep track of a game's original DVD case. I can understand that kind of thing with sports games, since (in my opinion) most sports game players are complete 'tards who need the simplistic style of gameplay because that's all their little peanut sized brains can handle. Yes, I know that's harsh, I'm just making a severe judgement based on the sports game players I personally know.