Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NWC Gold Carts - Have they all been found?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NWC Gold Carts - Have they all been found?

This question is specifically regarding the NWC gold cart, but I also ask this regarding any other Holy Grails....

Has every single copy of this game been found and accounted for? I know that these games change hands via Ebay, being sold from one collector to another, but are any of them still floating out in the wild?

What about the Starfox Super Weekend cart and Donkey Kong Country competition cart, etc, etc..... Which of these Holy Grails have all been discovered and are no longer circulating in the wild?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm curious about the NWC as well, though I doubt there are still any in the wild. Just my guess but those not known by now are probably compost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd guess there are probably still a couple out in the wild.

But, yeah, I'm sure quite a few were probably destroyed or lost before anyone really knew what they had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

/awaits rbudrick's response

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    Same here...he'd be the one to ask.
    What?!...Me worry??...HA!!

My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdchess
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    Same here...he'd be the one to ask.
    Him or DreamTR... common guys, where are you!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know there have been attempts to track all the NWC carts down through the original recievers, but from what i understand is that not all have been found.

Probably still a handful in attics, closets, or sadly, in the dump

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I find it hard to believe that there would be many if any in the dump since you had to love the system so much just to get one in the first place. My thought would be that they could have been forgotten about but probably not thrown away.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8
    I find it hard to believe that there would be many if any in the dump since you had to love the system so much just to get one in the first place. My thought would be that they could have been forgotten about but probably not thrown away.
    We look at it in a different way then the average person,most of us collect and play video games where a good many people probally got into it at the begining and lost interest after a while and moved on to other things.for a lot of moms an old nintendo sitting in the closet is useless and ends up at the dump or a yard sale. Im sure all of us have had something we through away that would be super valauable to someone else.I cringe when I think of all the old toys,comic books and stickers I had that my mom through out.Im sure the countrys landfills hold more than half of the games we would like to get our hands on..

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is a funny little story about my find, so it is possible:
    I found my gold NWC 3 years ago in the wild. I was at a flea market in CA. and ran accross a big box of NES games. The box had around 100 different NES games in it. A lady was selling it for her son so he could buy a couple PS2 games. I got the box for around $80-90. The games were all stacked with only the end label showing, so I just thought it was a zelda missing the label. That day I also found tons of other good finds. Once I got home I tossed the NES box aside since I was so excited about the other great finds, still not realizing the NWC was in the box. 3-4 months go by and I haven't even touched the box until someone asked if I had zelda for sale. I told them I have one without the label and they can have it for free. I go back to my office and pull the cart out. I almost exploded from excitement. I went on the internet and double checked that mine was the real deal. After a few months of wondering what to do with it I finally ebay'd it. I got alittle under $4000. I was gonna owe that much in taxes for the year. So, the gov't took my thunder from my biggest find ever. Oh well, I usually only like to keep games that I enjoy to play. Below is a picture of the find along with another good find. Funny thing is I have been looking for a copy of Little Samson & Panic Restaurant for years and have never found either in the wild. I can find a Gold NWC and a few prototypes, but not games on my want list. :/
    www.videogex.com/gamefaqs.htm

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I recently sold my Starfox Super Weekend cart here on DP, but did find it in the wild about 2 years ago. It was at a local EB Games. I am sure there are more out there somewhere.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here is a funny little story about my find, so it is possible:
    I found my gold NWC 3 years ago in the wild. I was at a flea market in CA. and ran accross a big box of NES games. The box had around 100 different NES games in it. A lady was selling it for her son so he could buy a couple PS2 games. I got the box for around $80-90. The games were all stacked with only the end label showing, so I just thought it was a zelda missing the label. That day I also found tons of other good finds. Once I got home I tossed the NES box aside since I was so excited about the other great finds, still not realizing the NWC was in the box. 3-4 months go by and I haven't even touched the box until someone asked if I had zelda for sale. I told them I have one without the label and they can have it for free. I go back to my office and pull the cart out. I almost exploded from excitement. I went on the internet and double checked that mine was the real deal. After a few months of wondering what to do with it I finally ebay'd it. I got alittle under $4000. I was gonna owe that much in taxes for the year. So, the gov't took my thunder from my biggest find ever. Oh well, I usually only like to keep games that I enjoy to play. Below is a picture of the find along with another good find. Funny thing is I have been looking for a copy of Little Samson & Panic Restaurant for years and have never found either in the wild. I can find a Gold NWC and a few prototypes, but not games on my want list.
    www.videogex.com/gamefaqs.htm
    MachineGex, are you bullshittin? If not, do you have the contact info for who it was sold to?

Anyway, I guess the best way to approach this is, what do you mean by "accounted for." Do you mean does anyone know where each cart is now? The answer is no. But I'm working on it. I know of the owners of a few of them (somewhere between 4 and 7...memory is fuzzy now and my PC is down). DreamTR has actually had 7 pass through his hands, but sold most of them.

As many of you know, the gold ones were not numbered, so the only way to identify them is by the placement of the label (they are all placed on the cart a little bit differently...their allignments are different), and by surface scratches and artifacts....much like a fingerprint. I have pictures of several, and I think I have identified 6 or so unique carts, though I don't have the owners for each. It's another ongoing project that I've been very distracted from over the last couple of months. So, if anyone has some better info to track down the owners so I can get a cart pic and an interview, it is much appreciated.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex
    After a few months of wondering what to do with it I finally ebay'd it. I got alittle under $4000.
    How long ago was this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tvp

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe it sold for somewhere around $3700(give or take a "c" note). It has almost been 2 years, cause it was around tax time. I know the guy who bought it needed a Gold NWC and one other fairly common title to complete his set. He already owned a gray NWC cart. I know I have seen a copy(html) of the auction on the internet floating around, maybe someone at Gamefaqs. I went through my ebay feedback trying to figure out who it was but no luck. If you really want to figure out who the owner is, you could contact the ebay buyers around that time. It would be some work, probably 40 or so auctions around that time. Sorry about that. I am gonna go throught my old PC for emails, but I don't keep stuff that long. I think I still have my listing picture if that helps.
    Send me a PM if you want to brain storm.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Probably player-2.

DreamTR is the best source for who what and where. I know he contacted everyone, but the only problem may be his hazy memory in recalling each winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never doubt tom (machinegex) I ve been to his store before and know him in person and I have seen his auction on ebay but forgot who bought it and I have even talked with him about that cart and how he found it etc and reason why he sold it for is exactly same story he mentioned here so its a FACT that he had it !

Hey tom good 2 see u here will be sending ya a PM shortly thanks ! Welcome to DP !!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG:

OMG

Buy it Now for $19,999.99

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, if some dumb ass buys that cart for 20 gerrr, I'll be amazed by that. Actually, I'm sure somebody will use the buy it now, but won't actually pay the dude. No way. It may be one of only 26 in existence, but unless Mark Cuban or Bill Gates is trying to comptete their collections, then it ain't gonna happen. I've seen a number of pictures of NWC Gold carts, and that is probably the worst condition of any of them that I've seen.

If I was going to pay anywhere near the kind of prices that people are paying, I would actually have to travel to that town and see the damn thing in person. I would have to know that it is totally legit.

You know, maybe a better question than have all 26 been found and accounted for, is the question of.... "How many fake NWC Gold carts are in existence, and how many unfortunately individuals have paid thousands for mock ups? Anything can be faked. And believe you me, there will be some Russian dude or some Yukrainian dude that is going to figure out how to make convincing fakes of these carts. With people paying that kind of money, it's going to attract some professional con-artists. We already know that a very large number of factory sealed games that are floating around are con jobs. What better con is there than a factory sealed game? No body would ever open it to find out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NWC board is very complex, I don't think so