Thread: Any VHS movies worth buying to sell?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any VHS movies worth buying to sell?

If you are like me, you go to lots of thrift stores and flea markets, and you always see tons of VHS movies, but you have no interest in them. Sometimes, when I go to a thrift or flea market, I end up empy handed. I wonder to myself if there is a particular VHS movie or some music cd or hardcover book that is worth alot of money inside this place, and I just don't know anything about that stuff. I figure, if we are going to be going to these places anyways, looking for games, maybe there is a certain VHS movie or book or music cd that we should also be looking for. That way, maybe we come up empty handed from a video game standpoint, but we score a great find with a certain VHS movie, or maybe a old album or 8 track or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to sell VHS tapes on eBay all the time. I made about an extra $500 bucks a month doing it as well. The problem is now that DVDs are are the main format a lot of the hard to find stuff has been rereleased. As a starter you could research wrestling & childrens VHS tapes. I've done espceially well with the wrestling tapes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Anything that wasn't released on DVD usually still sells for $20-40 for a VHS copy. A lot of great 80s movies weren't released on DVD so the bids go high on them. To get an idea just do a search for VHS and look at the items about to end.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XianXi
    To get an idea just do a search for VHS and look at the items about to end.
    Or have ended.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any of the old movies from like the 60's or 70's will sell for $20+ still especially since many of them aren't on dvd yet. I recently bought The Ghost and Mr Chicken for my mom and it cost me $20 and it's not even new. If people are like my mom and want their childhood memory movies then most of the time they are willing to pay the few extra bucks to get them.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default These three

These never came out on dvd and have sold as high as $50 on Ebay, not all the time. It depends on the timing.

1. Rock n Roll High School Forever (Corey Feldman, ALL his and Corey Haim's movies that never came out on dvd do well)

2. Sidekicks (Jonathan Brandis and Chuck Norris, never released on dvd that I know of)

3. Miracle Beach (Ami Dolenz, 1992 romantic comedy that never saw a dvd release)

4. No Holds Barred (Hulk Hogan, no dvd release that I know of)

Use Amazon.com as a resource, some users post lists of "DVD Wish Lists" naming bunches of 80's movies that never saw a dvd release.

Seen all these do around $50, sometimes less.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few of the Goosebumps videos (namely Bride of the Living Dummy and One Day At Horrorland) usually fetch in the 30 range because they haven't been released on DVD yet (and they may never will be).

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Another recommendation

Obscure 80's hair band cd's do really well. I've sold cd's for 50 bucks a pop consistently, without a picture sometimes. I don't mean Poison or Warrant, though.

I mean stuff like Shotgun Messiah, Helix, Keel, Britny Fox, Hericane Alice, Every Mother's Nightmare, certain Bang Tango albums (hint, hint), Heaven's Edge, etc. Because of the web site, www.metalsludge.tv and all those hair band specials on VH1, people are nuts for this stuff, kitsch value alone, especially "hair metal" bands that nobody ever heard of, groups who never even sold half a million records.

Just look at the cover since 80's hair metal was the one genre of music where the album cover, song title or band name gave it away. Have a studio album or two (the right one) by any of these bands and prepare to make some bucks.

With that said, if you dig up the very early, the later day or indie albums by "name" groups from the 80's hair metal scene, they make a killing, too. Early cd's by Great White and Whitesnake, before they became stars, are high in demand. CD's from hair bands like Bulletboys and Quiet Riot that came out on tiny indie labels and sold only 2000 copies when in the mid 90's when grunge took over go for like 50-60 bucks.

Other albums I have actually sold for a big profit. I highly recommend finding all of the albums below.

-The Beach Boys studio albums from 1989 and 1992 ("Still Cruisin" and "Summer in Paradise")

-certain cd's from the Fat Boys (80's rap)

-Some of the Milli Vanilli albums really get up there, since they are out of print and not due to be reissued (for obvious reasons), there are actually some people who still want them.

-"Skold" (self-titled solo album by Marilyn Manson bassist who is now one of the hottest names in industrial music)

-"Y Kant Tori Read" (debut by Tori Amos)

-the old albums from Kid Rock and Saliva before they started selling records, back when Kid Rock sounded like Vanilla Ice

-Vanilla Ice "Hooked" (debut album which was totally rerecorded, even "Ice Ice Baby" and became 'To The Extreme')

-The Doors albums they did without Jim Morrison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mindless self indulgence's first cd tight gets over $70 each time its listed and even one of the completed ones on ebay recently hit over $150

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Oh great, so now I'm gonna have to add VHS tapes to my search list... Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic