Thread: Price Gouging on "non-next gen systems"

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Price Gouging on "non-next gen systems"

I was looking at some prices in my recent treck to my local gamestop, and going over the different prices It made me think about the price of the technology vs. the Level of the "technology". I was wondering if we as the consumer were to blame for the absorbiatant prices of games. For instance, I was looking at some new games for PS2, and some were comming out at 29.99 and some 19.99, similar case for xbox, yet nintendo still has gameboy titles that come out at 29.99 and some cases 34.99. I know that 360 prices are high, for their games most at 59.99, however why should we pay 15 bucks less for something, thats based on 10 year old technology, I think the same can be said for PSP. But I was wondering where is the meter for how games should be priced. I don't beleive there is. Also, what (if anything) determines how a game should be priced, and if its not based on Technology, then what, I mean supply/demand? I was just mulling this over last week, so I figured I would get some of your thoughts on the matter.

--- p.s. I am sure there are alot of "sales and marketing" things, that come into play, but I was taking this from a 50,000 ft, perspective, just a BROAD overview of this. Thanks
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some factors like cart-vs-CD/DVD but I’d say a lot of it has to do with the rising costs of game design and hardware costs. It wasn’t like it was in the early 90’s when memory was expensive and programmers were cheap. Game now have HUGE budgets with some costing as much as some movies to make. Then there are many more hands in the pot than there used to be as well. More money going to pay large companies that make the games. All of this translates into larger game costs.

Another large thing is the whole loss leader thing. Lose money on the console, make it up in software. Quite like Direct TV giving away costly dishes and equipment. They make their money back on programming fees. The Xbox 360 is expensive to make and Microsoft isn’t making that much on it if anything at the current time. They make their money back on software and software rights (at least on paper they do).

While the media constantly drops in price year after year, the production costs go up. Thus the price being high.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    There are some factors like cart-vs-CD/DVD but I’d say a lot of it has to do with the rising costs of game design and hardware costs. It wasn’t like it was in the early 90’s when memory was expensive and programmers were cheap.
    What are you talking about? I remember when SNES and Genesis games were $60 - $80. MORTAL KOMBAT! "Yeah, I'll take that $120 copy of Virtua Racing."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, why can I buy a dvd player, with laser, precision motors, ect., for $30, when the curtains my wife wants for our living room cost over $200 for one window. Curtains are just pieces of cloth (technology 1000's of years old), sewn together somewhere in the 3rd world.

I guess people will pay what they are willing to pay. (sorry, I don't have anything more profound.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its economics, i rarely buy games at new prices unless i know im getting a good game. i take more risks on cheaper used and/or reduced price new games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    There are some factors like cart-vs-CD/DVD but I’d say a lot of it has to do with the rising costs of game design and hardware costs. It wasn’t like it was in the early 90’s when memory was expensive and programmers were cheap.
    What are you talking about? I remember when SNES and Genesis games were $60 - $80. MORTAL KOMBAT! "Yeah, I'll take that $120 copy of Virtua Racing."
    Back in the day memory was expensive, now, CD's and DVD's aren't but the cost or game developing has risen to new heights. I think my point was pretty clear.

Early 90's- Cheaper development + expensive media

Now- Expensive development + cheaper media

Not all Genesis and SNES games were so expensive. Didn't games like Virtua Racing have processors on the cart? Thus the higher price tag.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to recall "Strider" on Genesis being quite high...like $70.

Perhaps that was a memory issue.

I look at all these old magazines and see the price of games in the 16-bit era and see them now and am amazed they have stayed about the same price (or sometimes cheaper today).

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0) soundwave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    ha yeah I remember shelling out $70 for Street Fighter 2 when it first came out on SNES.