Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories of Purchases, etc.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Memories of Purchases, etc.

Here's something I've been wondering about for a while (especially as it pertains to those of you with MASSIVE collections). When I'm looking for a game to play or pick one or whatever, I'm usually able to recall when and where I got them from, how much I paid and so on. As someone who always revels in the joy of getting something new, these are pretty much always fond memories. Anyways, I'm wondering if I'm in the minority on this, or if there are others out there who try to remember these sorts of details. Where do you folks stand on this?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i remember usually where i got the item, and sometimes how much i paid. i never remember when i got it.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I usually at least remember where, for most of my stuff.

I tend to keep all my game xchange receipts so that helps too.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no idea where half my stuff came from or when. I do not keep any receipts at all. 70% is gamezone & bookmans, 20% thrifts, and 10% online purchases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember my VCS purchase. Late 1984 in Germany, 1000 DM (approx $2000 at the time) in hand. Going to the huge toyshop in town which also had a TV/Hifi-section room, and they had VCS + games there too.
    I asked for the Atari 2600 VCS and games for my amount. I wanted Pac-Man, the seller had no stock and said Ms.Pac-Man is better anyway, I wanted a racing game, he suggested Enduro as one of the best. I loved Scramble, he said the nearest available would be Super Cobra. The Atari VCS came with Phoenix, he said this was a very good shooter. A VCS and three games for 1000 DM. You bet, as the video game crash hadn't arrived yet in good old Germany. Anyway, I had the cash, and with VCS and games in hand I left the shop happy and excited as a little kid. That evening my wife and I played the VCS until our hands and fingers really hurt, especially the thumb. We must have played until 1:00 am. Whilst sleeping in bed, I had VCS game graphics in front of my eyes, that was really weird.
    At first, the VCS was sitting there, played daily, but no other games were added, as I didn't look for them. I had to get that trophy in Enduro anyway, and that took some time and skillful driving. Super Cobra was neat, especially in fast mode, the challenge to get through those mountains was intense. Phoenix I liked a lot too, my wife loved shooting the birds, whilst I had to get that mothership at the end of the level. Ms. Pac-Man was ok, didn't warm up to it like I did to Pac-Man, which I always played at my friends house before owning my VCS.

My next game was an Intellivision cartridge (99 DM), Beauty and the Beast, bought from a shop in town. I took it home, tried to insert it into my VCS, which of course didn't work. Took me ages to figure out why it didn't fit; aah I see there are different gaming consoles in this world, you gotta look at the box decriptions. Lucky for me, the shop took the game back (usually they didn't, especially opened), and I exchanged it for Kangaroo.

After that something weird happened, I got a VCR and videos and some video magazines, which had gaming reviews at the end of the magazine. I read about video games for the first time, and I was truly hooked. Got somehow a telephone number for Tele Match magazine (which by then had already folded), it was a bit like EG, as many articles were translated from EG. I managed to get most via the back issue service, which was still going. Once they did arrive I read the magazines over and over and over. Gaining knowledge also from the German book Pac-Man & Co, which listed most German VCS releases I decided to collect VCS, so bye, bye wages and a burning CC with games still costing between 50 - 150 DM, it was like buying heroin. It really was like a drug, I just had to buy VCS games, in my 1/2 hour lunch time break I skipped into town just to purchase a VCS title. 10 minutes driving there, 10 minutes trying to park the car and running to the shop and collecting a title, 10 minutes driving back, phew...Later I discovered a shop which had a huge range of games just sitting there on a shelf. That shop became my best buddy.

Next stop was UK for 17 years, for working and living, in 1992 I learned about Joe and Digital Press, finally getting more foreign games (also Best Electronics) and I collected VCS until 2003, when I auctioned my whole collection off on Ebay.

Now, I'm starting again, already got 10 boxed VCS carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Generally I remember where I got the game from, roughly how long ago it was (Which isn't tough since I've only been collecting for about 3 years), and estimated prices. I don't keep receipts on anything really because I'm not shifting enough money around to bother book keeping. Later on though I'll end up recording big buys and all. The real thing though is I just buy games when I see them cheap, not generally because it's a game I must have.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I pretty much can remember when/where/about how much I paid for some games, especially the older ones. However, sometimes with the more recent cheap purchases, I'm not as clear.

And I tend to keep my receipts as well, just easy enough to stick them in the box/case with the game. I also put the prices of new purchases up on my IGN collection for the heck of it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can remember when and where I got just about every game I have. I can also remember what price and with what deal I got the said game with.

Now if I could only remember other things....such as my mother's birthday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, absolutely. Especially when it involves the NES, which I was absolutely obsessed with as a kid.

Zelda II was a first communion gift from my grandma a few days after it was released.

Spy vs. Spy (of all games) was a birthday gift from my mom because I pestered her non-stop about it. Fun game, but I don't remember exactly why I wanted it so bad.

I remember I saved up some cash from my first paper route to pick up Donkey Kong Classics and Tengen Pac-Man from a used game store. That was my first ever purchase with my own, earned money.

etc etc etc....
    ________
    Ecigarette Forum
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can normally recall where the item was purchased and for how much. Sometimes I can recall when it was a big deal item (such as my Neo Geo, Turbo Duo, release day PS2 etc). As for the more common items I can only give you a ballpark time as to when I purchased it (ex: somtime in 1997).

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I started a gaming tab about 2 months ago... it's crazy by now... so many pages thick.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80117

I think it's something every diehard collector/gamer who likes to recall this type of stuff -- I think they should do it. I know when I look back a year, 2 years from now I'll just smile at the memories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I have difficulty remembering what games I own full stop. I'm forever buying duplicates accidentally.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm usually pretty good at remembering where, when, how, etc. I got an item; I like the idea of a "running tab", because I usually rely on notes from day-to-day if I forget something.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my games came from Babbage's, EB, or Toys R Us, way back in the day. Very few came from the internet, except for most of my Saturn imports. I always tried to get them at Babbage's whenever possible, since they had that groovy system of getting card punches to earn a discount. In fact, I still have a fully punched Babbage's card that for some reason I never redeemed. Probably because at some point they stopped doing the card punch thing right before they disappeared forever, but I'm glad that I still have it as a momento of all the times that I filled up one of their cards.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I can remember when and where I got every one of my consoles and arcade cabinets, but I can't remember when or how I got almost any of my games. Part of that comes from the fact that a lot of my Genny and NES stuff have come from box lots. Also I pick up a lot of stuff while thrifting and when I get home I throw it all in a pile. I might do that three or four times until the pile's big enough, then I inventory everything and move it to its final destination.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I can remember when and where I got just about every game I have. I can also remember what price and with what deal I got the said game with.
    Yup, I'm usally pretty good at remembering exactly how much I paid, where I got most of my games and sometimes even people or random things I saw while doing it. For example, I remember picking up my pre-order of Metal Gear Solid back in '98 at my local EB and seeing Radiant Silvergun, X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Metal Slug for the Saturn all for sale near the magazine rack.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only if it's really significant, as in I like it very much, got it for a steal, or something like that. 2 examples.

Lunar 2 I'll always remember I got for $75NZ with everything mint [I love my Lucia pendant!!].

Suikoden 2 I'll always remember I got for $15NZ since it was a total steal at a pawn store.

As for the other games, I keep their manuals in chronological order, so I remember roughly when I got them.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

The first memory of a past purchase was for NES Super Mario Bros. 2. I had finally bugged my parents enough to buy it for me, so they surprised me when we were out shopping one night and told me to go ahead and get it! I was trying to read the manual on the way home from the store, and my dad ended up getting pulled over by the police for speeding. I sat and read the manual under the glow of blue and red police lights...

I also remember when I picked up the Dreamcast at launch... Me and my buddy sat and played Madden and ate plate after plate of homemade cheese fries for hours...

PSN: SouthRox

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiekrome
    The first memory of a past purchase was for NES Super Mario Bros. 2. I had finally bugged my parents enough to buy it for me, so they surprised me when we were out shopping one night and told me to go ahead and get it! I was trying to read the manual on the way home from the store, and my dad ended up getting pulled over by the police for speeding. I sat and read the manual under the glow of blue and red police lights...

I also remember when I picked up the Dreamcast at launch... Me and my buddy sat and played Madden and ate plate after plate of homemade cheese fries for hours...

Wait, you mean NFL2k right? Madden was never released on the Dreamcast. Anyway, I remember picking up my Dreamcast on 9/9/99. I took the day off of work as a personal holiday and drove straight to Toys R Us at 7am that morning. I had it preordered so I gave my ticket to the cashier and she handed me my brandspankin new Dreamcast, VMU, Sonic Adventure, NFL2K, and Blue Stinger. I had to return 2 times to the store because Blue Stinger refused to work. I gave up on that game after the 2nd trip and ended up getting a 2nd controller to play NFL with my bro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram
    I have difficulty remembering what games I own full stop. I'm forever buying duplicates accidentally.
    Same here. I'll be browsing through my games and I'll come across stuff I don't remember buying - always a pleasant surprise! The other day I found some stupid LCD boxing game (where you wear a headset and throw punches with the attached gloves) which I thought I'd sold a few years back! Even having 99% of my stuff listed on my site doesn't always help.