Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games you finished, then put away for good.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games you finished, then put away for good.

There are a few games that I played where the fun in it was not so much the gameplay or whatever, it was just working toward the goal of finishing it- (or "beat" or whatever you call it) and since accomplishing that goal, never devoted any serious time to again. Or some that I don't even want to look at!

Double Dragon III - I never really liked this game, but I played it because it was the latest Double Dragon and I wanted to see the ending. After I beat that Pharao-ghost chick, I never subjected myself to Double Dragon III again.

Chrono Trigger- When it came out I played it, it was fun, got one of the many endings within 4 or 5 days, and didn't care to see any more of them. Haven't played it since.

Dragon Warrior- Took me awhile to finally beat the Dragon Lord, and said "Gee, I'm glad I don't have to do that again!"

Super Mario Bros. 3- Got it not too long after it's release, took me a month or so to get good enough to finish it. Which I did a couple times, actually. But since then playing SMB3 just seems more like a chore than a game- it's too damn long!

Gradius- Another "Gee, I'm glad I don't have to do that again!" moment.

P.O.W- I still can't believe I had the strength to endure P.O.W. long enough to finish it. Haven't played it since.

Wrath of the Black Manta- Okay, so I didn't finish it. I got to the final boss, used my last credit before figuring out the ninja-arts sequence needed to put him away. Either way, that game doesn't appeal to me any more.

There are also some games that I still like to play, but never enough to finish. For example, I still like Ninja Gaiden, but once I get to stage 6-2 the thought of putting up with the headache of playing all of stage 6 over again when the Jaquio beats me such a turn off, I usually stop playing at that point. I did finish it twice back in the day, though.

Blaster Master's another one, I'll still play it but once I get to stage 4 or so I turn it off and do something else, that game is too damn long. It needs a save feature or passwords or something.

Okay, what about you? I'm interested to see if different people have that experience with games others love to play all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: Games you finished, then put away for good.

Grandia on the PlayStation (only English port, nevermind that letdown that Grandia II was) which is my all time favorite RPG. After completing it I really didn't see a reason to play through it again since it was perfect. I may again eventually though.

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ
    Super Mario Bros. 3- Got it not too long after it's release, took me a month or so to get good enough to finish it. Which I did a couple times, actually. But since then playing SMB3 just seems more like a chore than a game- it's too damn long!
    Really? :/ While I'm not one of those "OMG, IT'S THE GREATEST MARIO GAME EVER!!" people, SMB3 is easy to breeze through. I'm always perpetually completing the game 100% for one of my little cousins who seems to love deleting his Super Mario Advance 4 data just so I have to do it again. And the whole point of Gradius is the challenge and the accomplishment of being able to get through again and again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to have to say Quest 64 for this one. I remember getting so frustrated with the damn thing I used cheats just to get to the end of the story and be done with it. Boy am I glad I never have to suffer through that again!

Oh, and Donkey Kong 64. Collecting everything ever does get tiring after 1 go-round.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A bigger list for me is stuff I never even got close to finishing [or in some cases, never started] then put away never to be seen again.

Examples of that include Evil Dead: Hail to the King [terrible], all the Syphon Filters, Grandia and most of my RPG pile too.

No time for too much gaming thesedays.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Most every RPG I've ever played, but looking at my collection I really haven't played that many.

But most recently, the one "I'm never touching that fucking game again" title is Dead or Alive 4. Fucking ugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm this way with most RPGs. I like to play through the story, but never want to put the time in to do it again.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, it'd be a shorter list to show the games I DO play again.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Super Mario 64. My fave game of all time but nailing everything is just too long-winded. Especially all the stars on the DS version, that was a few months lost right there. Generally speaking though, I have been known to do more than one run-through on most games. Up to 9 on FFVII

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram
    Super Mario 64.
    Same here. I was just about to say that. After completing all the goals, I haven't touched this game since. I thoroughly enjoyed it too... just never had the feeling to go back to it.

Same goes for Castlevania II. I labored over that game for a while with only the ridiculously unhelpful tips from Nintendo Power as a guide. Haven't even thought about playing that in its entirity again.
    ________
    Cumshot Blowjob
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I beat Ghosts and Goblins I didn't play it for a year, but I have picked it up again because I do enjoy it. Most games I enjoy, I play again and again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to be redundant, but I will never go through most RPGs ever again, IF I've gotten through them at all. The only RPG-ish game I play on an almost yearly basis is Ys Book I & II, though Darm Tower is irritating every time. I have also taken down Ys III (TG16 version) several times. I love them, what can I say?

I have had MGS2 Substance for PS2 laying around for over a year. Can't bring myself to do it after having gone through the original release. Maybe after I give the forthcoming MGS3 Subsistence a go?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't play many new RPG's, but most of the older ones like the Ultimas and Bard's Tales I played, beat, and never played again.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

R-Type Final: Once I 1CC the game and unlock everything, I didn't touch it in two years.

Thunder Force III: Once I ICC it, I just put it away.

Fire Mustang: Same as TF III.

All RPGS I never touch again once I beat it.

Dark Wizard: Got the game at a great price, but I'm not a fan of RPGs at all.

Samba De Amigo: Beat it, unlock everything, put it away. Didn't touch it for I don't know, a year and a half?

Most Sonic games: Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, and Adventure games, once I beat it, I put them away. 1, 2, and 3 sometimes get play time, but not much. I put Sonic CD (Japanese version) in the CD Player all the time because for some reason the Music gets to me.

Fighting games: Street Fighter II, once I get bored of it, I stop playing it for years. I don't lose my skill in Street Fighter because once you know everything, you know everything. I know the moves, tricks, everything. KOF is the same deal.

Phew, that's a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paper Mario. The game was great until the last boss. I almost lost another controller to that geme.

Call of Cthulhu. Is it just me or is this game broken? It also does not pick up at all until hours into it. What sucks is that I'm an H.P. Lovecraft fan and one of his best stories has been ruined yet again (ahem...movies like Dagon, Reanimator)

Fable. I played through being as good as possible, and the game took far less than what I remembered reading. So I immediately went through and played through being evil, and finally trying to stay neutral, but anyone that's really played this game knows how impossible this is. The game is great, but once you've played it, it's ho-hum playing again.

GT4. I have to get everything possible in my games, so this one was a nightmare. I finally completed every race in the game, and it leaves me with a 99.8%. I go back and check, and it did not give me credit for completing the first special conditions race. I played through it probably 10 times in a row, each time stating it was completed successfully and winning prize money, but it will not credit me with completing it. I even bought an Action Replay MAX and tried to put the code in to complete it, and still nothing. GT2 anybody?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The first Halo. It was the first game I got for my Xbox. It was the first game I beat on my Xbox. I haven't touched it since 2002.

It's sitting on the Xbox portion of my current-gen game shelf, collecting dust.

Same with Jet Set Radio Future. I bought it in Feb. 2002. Got about halfway through the game, then just quit playing it. It just didn't have the charm that the Dreamcast version did, IMO.

Last but not least; Ninja Gaiden (xbox). I got to the very last boss in the game and haven't touched it since. 'Nuff said. That bitch is damn near impossible to beat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Magician Lord

Magician Lord for the Neo Geo AES. I beat it with my friends, played 8 hours straight, and then put the game away after I took pics. I will never never play that monster again.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I keep promising myself to finish games I never played or got to finish... like:

Paladin's Quest
    Shining Force CD
    Lufia
    Lufia II
    Lunar II
    Breath of Fire II

I just never get around to them though.. so they sit until one day maybe I'll finally plunk down and beat them to a pulp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Every Square game.
    Every Enix game. (except Valkryie Profile)
    Every NIS game.
    Every Atlus game.

Christ, is there ANYTHING I finish I ever want to play again?

Tetris.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

first on the list would be Castlevania 2 NES it after finishing it there was simply NO reason to replay it.
    I still play through the original and part 3 on EMU bout once a year though.

Many RPGs the most recent being Shadow Hearts 1 , while I liked it well enough I most likely will never play through it again.

others:

Blue Stinger DC -NO reason to play through again
    GTA:vice City -I did play through this one a couple times but probably never again
    Tekken 4 -one of the few fighting games I dont replay until the disc is worn out I gotta get my Tekken Tag back or move on to Tekken 5

there r many others but whatever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I rarely find a game that I really enjoy and will play all the way through. But when I do, I finish it really fast. Most the time with games I like, I will always play them again. Kingdom hearts is probably one of the only games I have ever enjoyed enough to finish, but never go back to it, or have plans to go back to it.