Thread: Is there a way to get music videos on the PSP?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there a way to get music videos on the PSP?

is there a way to get music videos onto the PSP in a format that is sized right for the screen? I think it would be pimp, if there was someway to be able to watch a bunch of music videos on the PSP, in a format that has the aspect ratio of the video and the resolution at the right level to best take advantage of the screen.

You know how you can go to Yahoo Music and click on music videos, and watch the music videos in a little small window, is there someway to do the same thing on the PSP?

I know that there are some UMD's that have music video's or concert footage, but I'm more interested in watching videos from all kinds of different artists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure. Music videos, full length movies, tv shows.....you can pretty much put any kind of vid on a PSP as long as it can be converted to mp4 format.

You just need an application that will convert the vid. I'm on a Mac so I use ffmpegX which is great. Has pre-configured settings for PSP format, so all you gotta do is drop the vid in and it'll convert it to the correct size. Of course, if you want to watch the vid at exactly the same aspect ratio of the PSP screen, it has to be the same size or else you won't be able to watch it full screen with out it appearing distorted.

Don't know what conversion apps are available for PC's, but I know there are a bunch out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use WinAVI for PSP/Ipod... pretty quick and easy.

'Course it's pay-ware, but obviously you can find a "free" one

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP Video 9

Try PSP Video 9, it is pretty easy to use.

http://www.pspvideo9.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use PSP Video 9, and its perfect for TV Shows, Cartoons (Family Guy ), Films, Music Videos..... anything that moves really.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather watch things like that on my 32" tv not a 4 inch screen, the PSP should be used for video games like it was intended.

/end stereotypical PSP bashing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    I'd rather watch things like that on my 32" tv not a 4 inch screen, the PSP should be used for video games like it was intended.

/end stereotypical PSP bashing
    If only that 32" television would fit in my economy-class airplane seat with me ... Anyways, PSP Video 9 is an awesome free download that will probably satisfy all of your video needs. Start there and you probably won't need to go any further.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, but where do I download the music videos? When I go to Yahoo Music, you can't download them, just stream them. I would like to download them and have them on my hard drive, but I don't want to have to go the bit torrent route or any of that crap. I guess I'm SOL.

You would think somebody would realize that there is a business model there for being able to pay a few to download unlimited videos or something, per month, for music videos, in a format that is specially sized for the PSP or Ipod or whatever. It makes sense.

To the guy that said the screen wasn't meant for that, shit, you must be out yo damn mind. You don't ever listen to MP3's on your PSP? Well, if you are going to listen to the songs, might as well see the damn video too. I mean, isn't that the primary selling point for the video ipod and the PSP has an even better screen, considering it's widescreen.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

iTunes has some music videos. If you would like to go to some "less legal" places, Limewire and the like have a ton of music videos available. Additionally, if you have concert/music video DVDs, you can rip the footage to your computer and then convert it into mp4 format.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I believe that when you rip video to the memory cards it doesn't ever come up on the PSP "full screen" unless you stretch the image (which doesn't look as good obviously).

I thought I read somewhere that only UMDs can use the full screen without stretching (I'm talking mpeg4s here only BTW)?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    I thought I read somewhere that only UMDs can use the full screen without stretching (I'm talking mpeg4s here only BTW)?
    It all depends on what the original aspect ratio of the video is. I've watched tons of widescreen mpeg4 movies on my PSP without any stretching. Stuff filmed in 4:3 like TV shows though are going to appear stretched on the PSP screen unless you crop it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    iTunes has some music videos.
    Not gonna be able to get that over to PSP without a DRM-breaking proggy.
    Move 'sig' for great justice.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    It all depends on what the original aspect ratio of the video is. I've watched tons of widescreen mpeg4 movies on my PSP without any stretching. Stuff filmed in 4:3 like TV shows though are going to appear stretched on the PSP screen unless you crop it.
    Maybe it's the software I'm using then, 'cause I converted Empire Striks Back to mpeg4 and the image doesn't fill the screen unless I stretch!
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end