Thread: Good Japanese RPG games for SNES and N64

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good Japanese RPG games for SNES and N64

Ok, Does anyone know any good RPG games for SNES or N64..?

Thanks, Lonely Captain Qb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Japanese RPG's as in imports, or traditional style Japanese RPG's?

Forget about RPG's on the N64, Paper Mario is the only memorable one. Another one would be Quest 64 which is a love or hate type game. Then there's Harvest Moon 64, and Ogre Battle 64 which are both high quality games, but are shades of grey in what you consider an RPG (Harvest Moon is more simulation, while Ogre Battle is more strategy).
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean Import games, but If you know good RPG games, just say them.. ^.^

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you ever heard of the Megami Tensei franchise? It's my favorite RPG series by far. The games are incredible. Only a scant few have made it to the US despite the franchise being so prolific and having so many spinoffs.

Get these Japanese SNES games ASAP:
    Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible III
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Shin Megami Tensei II
    Shin Megami Tensei If...

Shin Megami Tensei also came out on the MegaCD and the Turbo CD. You could make a case for the MegaCD port being the best, with tons of redone artwork and the cd soundtrack. Turbo CD one was obviously rushed. It's the SNES version but with WORSE sound and some slowdown, oddly long loads even for small areas, etc.

SMTI and II also both got re-released on the PSX and GBA in Japan. As much as Atlus is my favorite publisher of this generation by far, I wish they'd grow a pair and put a couple of M rated games on the US GBA in the form of that SMT I and II port.

If you just care about the cartridges you can get these off JapanGameStock or wherever for like 5 USD each (I even got boxed+manual ones for under $20 at one point). If you just want to get roms then I think there's English patches already for all of these.

Read this whole page for information on the Megami Tensei franchise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megami_Tensei

The site seems to be down because Gamespy is stupid, but Kurt also did an awesome page that details most of the games in the franchise:

hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/megaten/megaten.htm

For those not familiar, basically really badass cyberpunk RPG series. Blade Runner with demons. Fantastic. Also some elements are a bit dated, but on that same note these games and Final Fantasy IV and the like were the games that created the cliches for console RPGs to come.

That said, the character designs and behavior are always a nice change from the norm. Last Bible III is probably the most traditional of them. It's prevalent in some of the games that have made it here. Unlike most wishy washy idiots, as an example, the protagonists in the PS2 Digital Devil Saga games do NOT take any bullshit from ANYone, EVER. It's a great change of pace.

Also check out Metal Max 2 and Metal Max Returns, another underrated series, used to be relatively unknown in the US. They were published by Data East but the new game, Metal Saga, is being brought to the US by Atlus later this year. Lighthearted games set in post-apocalyptic environments. Instead of really being "fighter," "healer," etc. you have some classes like "gunner" and "pilot," as you eventually control several tank-like vehicles in battle that you can man and upgrade and arm as you will. You also go around and hunt bounties. Whacked out enemy designs like Earthbound.

Going back to Megami Tensei stuff, there are also two really good turn based strategy game spinoffs on the SNES. Majin Tensei and Majin Tensei 2: Spiral Nemesis. These are also really common. Literally Fire Emblem only set in the present with demons.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    Have you ever heard of the Megami Tensei franchise? It's my favorite RPG series by far. The games are incredible. Only a scant few have made it to the US despite the franchise being so prolific and having so many spinoffs.

Get these games ASAP:
    Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible III
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Shin Megami Tensei II
    Shin Megami Tensei If...

If you just care about the cartridges you can get these off JapanGameStock or wherever for like 5 USD each. If you just want to get roms then I think there's English patches already for these.

Read this whole page for information on the Megami Tensei franchise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megami_Tensei

The site seems to be down because Gamespy is stupid, but Kurt also did an awesome page that details most of the games in the franchise:

hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/megaten/megaten.htm

For those not familiar, basically really badass cyberpunk RPG series. Blade Runner with demons. Fantastic. Also some elements are a bit dated, but on that same note these games and Final Fantasy IV and the like were the games that created the cliches for console RPGs to come.

That said, the character designs and behavior are always a nice change from the norm. Last Bible III is probably the most traditional of them. It's prevalent in some of the games that have made it here. Unlike most wishy washy idiots, as an example, the protagonists in Digital Devil Saga do NOT take any bullshit from ANYone, EVER. It's a great change of pace.

Also check out Metal Max 2 and Metal Max Returns, another underrated series, used to be relatively unknown in the US. They were published by Data East but the new game, Metal Saga, is being brought to the US by Atlus later this year. Lighthearted games set in post-apocalyptic environments. Instead of really being "fighter," "healer," etc. you have some classes like "gunner" and "pilot," as you eventually control several tank-like vehicles in battle that you can man and upgrade and arm as you will. You also go around and hunt bounties. Whacked out enemy designs like Earthbound.

Going back to Megami Tensei stuff, there are also two really good turn based strategy game spinoffs on the SNES. Majin Tensei and Majin Tensei 2: Spiral Nemesis.
    I'm going to buy these RPG games,.. Next time i'm going to Japan, I will buy these:
    SFC:
    - Shin Megami Tensei
    - Shin Megami Tensei II
    - Shin Megami Tensei if
    Maybe these:
    - Ogre Battle 64
    - Harvest Moon 64

Thanks, Lonely Captain Qb.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome selection. Just note that the difficulty is crazy in them. The games absolutely want you dead, moreso than most console RPGs of that time.

Also there's another Japanese SNES release, Kyuukyaku Megami Tensei (I know I just mangled that first word ). It's a remake of the original two Famicom Megami Tensei games on one SFC cartridge. Good catch if you're a completist plus the redone graphics are quite nice. That page Kurt did has comparison screenshots. Seems to be up again now too, good read.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Japanese RPG

I would recommend the Far East of Eden series (non of the RPGS have been translated to English )

Far East of Eden = Tengai Makyo
    The games have been made for the PC Engine, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo DS and the PS2.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post arg.

Anyways, you should check out the Metal Max games too if you haven't. Metal Max Returns espeically (this was a great remake of the original Famicom game) gives me a real Earthbound vibe if you liked that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Do games like the first Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, and the original Tales of Phantasia count?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what everyone seems to ignore?

Enix's Wonder Project J.

It's really quite innovative [although isn't strictly RPG and simulation].
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Live-A-Live (Super Famicom) - rom translation is out there, it's like SaGa Frontier was this game's predecessor, but I like Live-A-Live more.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon Another Story (Super Famicom) - again, has been translated. There's a really good game in here but a boss battle early on that takes a LONG time to get through, one of the longest battles in RPG history.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by incubus421
    Do games like the first Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, and the original Tales of Phantasia count?
    Absolutely. Though it's notable that Tales of Phantasia has been released on the US GBA just this past week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

How about the Tenchi Muyo RPG.
    Anime, comic mischief, strategy turn based battle system....on the short side, but fun to play through.
    Rom available, with translation somewhere.
    I actually really enjoyed this game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of which there's an interesting little Enix one called First Queen. It's not QUITE Fire Emblem. Similar situations and such, but the gameplay is like Archon or Battlechess after you choose which units you want placed where. Definitely try the rom first.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for everyone who has write something.. ^.^

Lonely Captain Qb.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember playing a Goemon game for n64 that was kinda cool. And I think there are a few Jap games that were never released here.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka