Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where, how and what do you emulate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I use SCUMMVM for the old Lucasarts games on my ibook. It runs, very, very well.

I use JNes on my PSP for NES emulation.

I use MAME on my old Gateway PC with an X arcade stick hooked up to it. Hoping to replace that system with a modded Xbox soon.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

The emulators I play the most are my NES one on my PSP and my Atari XL/XE one on my PC.

The NES games look sweet on the PSP's screen, and it's handy having some old school action when I need a break from my 'main' PSP game.

The Atari 8-bit stuff is cool 'cause I can use my PC as an emulated disk drive and play on my *actual* 800 XL, or I can play on the go using the full emulator. That machine *easily* being my favourite retro machine makes it *easily* my favourite one to play around with.

I also enjoy MAME on my PC, but mostly just the 80s stuff is what I play. I use a keyboard for some of it (like Frogger) and a PS1 controller for other stuff (like Robotron or Crazy Climber)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't actually sat down and run emulators in years. In todays times were I actually have a job and an afford games my main PC is used mostly for music, video, and newer games rather than the download of a billion ROMs and emulators to play consule games.

I did buy my MAC G3 233Mhz box 2 years go for $50 and dropped $16 on Ebay for OS X.1 to make it my emulator machine though. I really like MACs when it comes to emulation of older consules. They have very stable emulation and it's really well designed for game flow. It gives a retro feel playing it on a MAC too, don't know why (Apple II roots anybody?). But to any extent, I do have thousands upon thousands of ROMs that consist of nearly complete collections of SNES, NES, GEN, GB, SMS, N64, and so forth (Basically any classical to new generation cartridge systems). I don't really care for emulating CD based games for some odd reason.

I really like Atari emulators and SNES the most, I guess because the nice library of games. But like I said earlier, I'll generally push one of my carts into a consule before deciding to emulate a game just because the feel and big TV.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Years ago, I vowed to stop using emulators mostly because it ruined the fun of finding games and/or finally getting to play them (for the first time). Plus, it's illegal. I have pretty much stayed true to my vow. However, there are exceptions to the rule:

1. Arcade games: I use MAME quite a bit, especially for games which have never been ported. I recently discovered a game called Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga 3, as excellent a beat 'em up as I've ever seen (and I'm a huge fan of the genre). Apparently it was only available in Japanese arcades, unfortunately. This is but one of the many, many games I've discovered thanks to MAME, and which I would have never been able to play otherwise.

2. Online play: Playing SNES games online with friends rocks. Some favorites include Super Mario Kart, Super Smash TV and Monopoly.

3. Prototypes, hacks, etc.: Similar to the arcade stuff, which I could never play otherwise. Super Demo World is awesome.

4. Games I already own: I'd rather play them "for real", but sometimes it's fun to mess around with the save state feature, etc.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have lots of old school emulation, but I only play those on road trips. Since I play fighters alot, my number 1 reason for emulation would be playing all the fighting games (CPS, CPS2, Neo Geo etc). Sometimes to add more fighters, I take my laptop to the arcade and entertain my friends since they're the only people that really come in and play something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what are some safe sites to find emulators?

sorry if im bumping an older topic but it suits my question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The best way to get emulators is directly from the source, I think. I use Zophars now and then to see if a game's updated, as they still update for new emulators - but if you have any questions you'll need to visit the homepage of each emu.

Personally, I emulate all sorts of things. I use FCE Ultra for Famicom/NES, and JNES for NES/FC multiplayer only (it's pretty good but I like FCEU better). For Genesis, I used to use Gens but it requires you install some stuff for CD-ROM games, and there's an annoying pause and screen blank when you load it up. I use Fusion 32 now most of the time, which also allows you to play SMS games. SNES, I use ZSNES again. MAME32, from http://mame32qa.classicgaming.gamespy.com is my choice of MAME.

Yeah, Rastan Saga 3 is *great.* I'd love to have the soundtrack for that game (the tracks are available from rastan.net last time I checked).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so neither of the sites you listed above have viruses or spyware? Also does zophar have roms? Im justl looking to play mean bean machine for genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

PM sent regarding safe emulation. Just the same you should still scan everything with an anti-virus program like AVG, and be running things like Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware weekly. And of course, using a somewhat recent build of Mozilla Firefox as your browser. All are just good habits to get into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never gotten a virus from downloading an emulator. Seems rather silly that someone would put all this sweat and hard work into making a good emulator, then waste that work by using it solely to distribute virii.

Roms, I don't think I've gotten a virus from any of them either. Although, when I'm suspicious, I scan individual files with AVG, which is a fantastic free anti-virus program. I have a lot of security programs on my comp. Ever since I got a nasty malware scare about a year ago that seemed almost impossible to get rid of, my computer is like a fortress. That was from my own stupidity though. I downloaded something that called itself a torrent search program from a website that I had never been to, and then neglected to scan it.

Emulation is mostly very, very safe though. I don't worry about that much at all.

Zophar's Domain is a safe, reliable site. They have all the emulators you will ever need. The only roms they have though are homebrews. You have to get commercial roms on another site, because ZD tries to keep itself a legit site.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

I am REALLY suprised that the Xbox is not getting more love in this topic.

The Xbox plays about anything from 1996 back perfectly, plus alot of the more current stuff. The emulators for the box are top notch professional grade, often with better presentation than PC emulators (Mostly thanks to Xport).

Mame plays suprisingly well and there is a BADASS Neo/CPS emu that plays all of those games PERFECTLY.

Xbox emulation to me is better because the Xbox is already in a console format, it is EASY to use and I play it like any other game, it is on my main TV with my stereo just like when I fire up an Xbox game or PS2 game. If I want 4 controllers, I plug them in 1 thru 4, I don't have to go through all the stupid configurations. Also, Xbox emus are made especially for the box, so you wont ever have an incompatable video card or some shit.

The GUI's on box are retail quality, and all of the menus are designed to use a controller, so you don't need a keyboard which only detracts from gaming.

I have NEVER been able to play an emu game on PC for long because I just don't think it's the same.

Regardless of all this other stuff, the best think for me is sitting where I play every other game instead of in my office.

If you haven't already, go to xbox-scene.com, it is SOOOOO worth it to check into these emus.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I just emulate, Mame any time i get the urge to play old arcade games.

I can't say i've ever bother with the, console stuff since i perfer the real deal on that.

Still i might one day... since there are lot of consoles i don't own any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Double Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicGameTrader

The Xbox plays about anything from 1996 back perfectly, plus alot of the more current stuff. The emulators for the box are top notch professional grade, often with better presentation than PC emulators (Mostly thanks to Xport).

Mame plays suprisingly well and there is a BADASS Neo/CPS emu that plays all of those games PERFECTLY.

Xbox emulation to me is better because the Xbox is already in a console format, it is EASY to use and I play it like any other game, it is on my main TV with my stereo just like when I fire up an Xbox game or PS2 game. If I want 4 controllers, I plug them in 1 thru 4, I don't have to go through all the stupid configurations. Also, Xbox emus are made especially for the box, so you wont ever have an incompatable video card or some shit.

The GUI's on box are retail quality, and all of the menus are designed to use a controller, so you don't need a keyboard which only detracts from gaming.
    Alright, all that BUT you need to modify your console to play the emulators. That removes the average casual person from the mix. That is why the Dreamcast emulation and homebrew scene is still top. The big advantage is, of course, you just burn the CD and pop it in - any system, no modifications or swapping or anything. New programs like BootDreams make it super easy as well and there are so many compilers and information libraries out there it's easy to figure out.

Emulators like NESterDC (NES), DCGNUBoy (GB/GBC), and SMSPlus (SMS/GG) all have clean, easy to navigate interfaces. There are some new projects making headway including a NeoGeo AES emulator based off the amazing Neo4ALL NeoGeo CD emulator.

No modifications, plays on a normal TV, four controller ports , and the DC emulation and homebrew community is still very tight and very grassroots. Not as large as it once was, but it's still quite healthy.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I've played most is..

PinMame on my PC
    NES games on my GBA (mostly just tyson's punch out)
    NES on my sony clie (palm OS 5)

As much as I like having everyting on my XBOX (and PC), I really only play games for a few minutes then get bored... it's a controller issue with me, I need to buy some converters or something, because I never remeber how the buttons are mapped (even if I map them!).

And now that I think about, that's why I must enjoy playing NES on my clie (w/game controller) or gba, because the controller setup is similar (& simple).

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

OK, i can't emulate on my PSP now that i updated it to 2.5 to play Pursuit force..

I can still use my PC to emulate, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zophar's seems to have fallen on hard times as of late, but I've never seen anything else quite as good.

I've used ZSNES for some RPGs in recent times, and I had some good fun with 1964 for my N64 stuff. I ought to fire up a PSX emulator some time, but it seems like a fairly messy business. There's also some GBA stuff I'd like to take a crack at, but given that the GBA is still alive and well, emulating it seems rather unsavory.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Zophar's seems to have fallen on hard times as of late, but I've never seen anything else quite as good.
    Another vote for Zophar if you want some general information regarding what emulators are available. While the direct links may be outdated, most of the links to the homepages work and from there you can get the latest and greatest builds.

Failing that, Emulatronia is the best emulation news site. Downfall is that it's not in english, but that doesn't really matter since the names of the emulators don't really change in the translation. Give it a whirl for a bit and i'm sure you'll join the emulatronia fold.

NGEmu isn't the most up-to-date news site, but it does have some nice information on PS2/N64/Playstation/GBA emulation that other sites tend to miss.

Pretty much any and all N64 news will be posted in the EmuTalk forums first, though. It's the bee's knees.

I ought to fire up a PSX emulator some time, but it seems like a fairly messy business. There's also some GBA stuff I'd like to take a crack at, but given that the GBA is still alive and well, emulating it seems rather unsavory.
    Take a crack at pSX Emulator sometime. Extremely straight forward, reasonably high level of compatibility (it's the only english emulator that'll play Valkyrie Profile (US) without any problems and it's currently the best english emulator for Final Fantasy 9 (US), Symphony of the Night (US) and Chrono Cross (US)), and pretty fresh/new/young. Some people don't like that it's all software based (you won't be getting all of the snazzy visual effects that you'd get from a psemupro plugin-spec emulator), but the goal of the project is to emulate the playstation as accuratly as possible and as simply as possible.

If you've got a playstation bios already then it's damn near as straightforward as popping in a disc and telling it to go.

Xebra is also extremely advanced, but it defines daunting It's more complete than pSX Emulator, but it's all in japanese and it requires a monster cpu in relative comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Alright, all that BUT you need to modify your console to play the emulators. That removes the average casual person from the mix. That is why the Dreamcast emulation and homebrew scene is still top. The big advantage is, of course, you just burn the CD and pop it in - any system, no modifications or swapping or anything. New programs like BootDreams make it super easy as well and there are so many compilers and information libraries out there it's easy to figure out.
    That's all fine and well, but the Dreamcast isn't the optimal system for emulating SNES, Genesis, SegaCD, or PCE CD games. I agree that the Neo Geo emulation on the Dreamcast is nothing short of amazing, but if someone wants to play something other than SMS and Neo Geo games then they really need to look at snagging an xbox.

Xbox modifications anymore are nothing more than loading up an exploited save game just one time. With about 5 minutes of effort you'll have yourself a little mini HTPC with far more support than the Dreamcast ever had (mainly becasue it's so much easier to compile other people's source code with a pirated sdk...but..yea.. ).

Plus, the Xbox controller works quite a bit better than the dreamcast controller for just about everything (and if you want to bring the arcade stick into the equasion, I'll bring in the SF Anniversary arcade sticks which are easier to get and cheaper).

I will have to say that the MAME ports to Xbox are sadly outdated and aren't really worth looking into. I'd suggest going for a recent build of FBA-XXX which will most likely have what most people want to play supported anyway.

Not knockin' the dreamcast, but it's just not the homebrew box that the Xbox is. No burning discs (you can FTP right into the Xbox), more variety, and a better controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicGameTrader

Emulators like NESterDC (NES), DCGNUBoy (GB/GBC), and SMSPlus (SMS/GG) all have clean, easy to navigate interfaces. There are some new projects making headway including a NeoGeo AES emulator based off the amazing Neo4ALL NeoGeo CD emulator.

No modifications, plays on a normal TV, four controller ports , and the DC emulation and homebrew community is still very tight and very grassroots. Not as large as it once was, but it's still quite healthy.

Well, that is a reasonable point but a box can be softmodded as well. Plus, there is absolutly no need for a CD/DVD whatsoever once you mod an Xbox, games are transfered by local network which takes 30 seconds to set up. It would take a TON of CD's just to have a complete romset on a DC. The DC has something like a 200Mhz processor vs 733Mhz on box, no HD.

I would probably have settled for DC emulation years ago if it wasn't so hard to compile the games (at least then).

Modded Xbox>>>>>>>>>>>DC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Take a crack at pSX Emulator sometime. Extremely straight forward, reasonably high level of compatibility (it's the only english emulator that'll play Valkyrie Profile (US) without any problems and it's currently the best english emulator for Final Fantasy 9 (US), Symphony of the Night (US) and Chrono Cross (US)), and pretty fresh/new/young. Some people don't like that it's all software based (you won't be getting all of the snazzy visual effects that you'd get from a psemupro plugin-spec emulator), but the goal of the project is to emulate the playstation as accuratly as possible and as simply as possible.
    I am very much intrigued. (The other slightly daunting thing about PSX emulation is that things like SSSPSX and Emurayden pop up with relatively little information about them.)

So by "snazzy visual effects" I guess you mean that you're stuck running things in the default Playstation resolution with no nice jaggy reduction or anything?

By the way, what's up with Virtual Boy emulation lately? Last I heard there was a fairly complete version of RealityBoy available, but it was still kind of slow and without sound. (I'd still like to play Virtual Boy Wario Land sometime.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)