Thread: Mega Man: Powered Up is fantastic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mega Man: Powered Up is fantastic!

More than just a straight remake of the original Mega Man, Mega Man: Powered Up is currently far and away the single greatest thing on the PSP, and why I'm very happy I got one.

Not only can you play through the original Mega Man with some really nice updated graphics and whatnot, you can also play through the Powered Up version of the original Mega Man, which basically remixes the stages from the first, in addition to including two new boss characters to match the normal total of 8 from the later Mega Man games. Plus, you actually can play through as the boss characters as you defeat them to unlock more stuff.

Also, there's a level editor, where you can create your own Mega Man levels, which is really, really cool, and is implemented fairly well - you can share them online too!

And, there's also a Challenge mode, which is basically a series of 100 mini-levels wherein you need to accomplish a certain task to complete the level. They're hard, they're fun, and they will test even the best Mega Man players out there.

This is really one of the few remakes that is well worth the price - and it's as if Capcom is rewarding the long-time fans of the Mega Man series with this release. You would do well to buy it, and hopefully that would encourage Capcom to give Mega Man 2 this same treatment, which would be the greatest thing ever.

Seriously. Can't rave enough about this game. Highly, highly recommended.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

What firmware version does it require?

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately, it has the 2.60 firmware upgrade on it, which sucks, but I've pretty much given up on just having one PSP at this point. As soon as I can find a second one for a good, cheap price, then I'm going to go ahead and get another and use one for emulation, and one for games - because there are still several games upcoming that I really want to play, but the emulation is really, really nice.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by downfall
    Unfortunately, it has the 2.60 firmware upgrade on it, which sucks, but I've pretty much given up on just having one PSP at this point. As soon as I can find a second one for a good, cheap price, then I'm going to go ahead and get another and use one for emulation, and one for games - because there are still several games upcoming that I really want to play, but the emulation is really, really nice.
    People keep saying that the GP2X is the system to have for handheld emulation. So I am thinking that I am going to just upgrade my PSP and look for a GP2X. A lot of the emulation on the PSP isn't that great anyway.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba

People keep saying that the GP2X is the system to have for handheld emulation. So I am thinking that I am going to just upgrade my PSP and look for a GP2X. A lot of the emulation on the PSP isn't that great anyway.

Chris
    Shows you how far out of the loop I am on most of this stuff. I may have to look into that myself. Is the GP2X just better at it? I mean, the PSP didn't really run a lot of stuff *that* well, but the sheer fact that you can load up a gig memory stick with a ton of NES and TG-16 games and throw it in your backpack and go is great. If the GP2X runs things better, and actually runs more, then that would probably be the way to go.

Hmmm. Time to Google away I guess.

Anyway, yeah, Mega Man: Powered Up. Good stuff. Crazy on the difficulty though - if you ever thought Mega Man was hard, then you'll kill your PSP by throwing it into a wall when playing this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I gave up on keeping my PSP firmware at or below 2.0 a long time ago -- everything coming out now is forcing the installation of 2.5 or 2.6 firmware, and I bought my PSP system first and foremost to play official games, not emulators. I keep on telling myself that I'll buy a GP2X one of these days, but I haven't done it yet...

Back to the original topic -- I picked up Powered Up yesterday, and it really is a great remake. I've worked through 6 of the 8 bosses now (still need to finish Ice Man and Fire Man), and I've gone back to at least a couple stages to try and grab content packs for the level editor. I haven't even touched the Challenge mode yet. Overall, the game's definitely worth the 30 bucks if you're even the slightest Mega Man fan. Hopefully they'll give Mega Man 2 the same treatment!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Quote Originally Posted by downfall
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba

Chris
    Shows you how far out of the loop I am on most of this stuff. I may have to look into that myself. Is the GP2X just better at it? I mean, the PSP didn't really run a lot of stuff *that* well, but the sheer fact that you can load up a gig memory stick with a ton of NES and TG-16 games and throw it in your backpack and go is great. If the GP2X runs things better, and actually runs more, then that would probably be the way to go.

Hmmm. Time to Google away I guess.

Anyway, yeah, Mega Man: Powered Up. Good stuff. Crazy on the difficulty though - if you ever thought Mega Man was hard, then you'll kill your PSP by throwing it into a wall when playing this one.
    Hey all - I just got my GP2X and will be writing a review and probably a feature as well for Blogcritics. I would get a GP2X for all your emulation needs. I have had it for a few days, and so far it is just amazing.

The only hitch so far is downgrading MAME roms to .34, but there is a PC app for that.

But I have every emu on my GP2X from Commodore,(various, not just the 64) Apple II, Amiga, NES, MSX, Atari, etc. etc. etc. Lots of emu's are out for it by now. There are also quite a lot of games written by the community for it. A number of them are ports of some pretty big games, such as Geometry Wars and Zoo Keeper DS.

Oh and did I mention that SD cards are a bit cheaper than Memory Sticks?

It supports a ton of audio/video formats. It supports e-books. It's linux.

So yes, I am so far very impressed. It doesn't come with an AC adapter though, which is odd. You most likely have an AC adapter that will work, but still. For $180 you would think they would put an AC adapter in the box.

I am also looking forward to Mega Man Powered Up. Of course I have Mega Man on my GP2X, but it I do like the amount of new stuff the game has.

The PSP has finally got a string of great games, one year later.

Mega Man Powered Up
    Persuit Force
    Daxter
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

Finally some good stuff.

BTW, if you have not tried the RSS feature of the 2.6 firmware, it is really nice.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought a PSP so that I could play Me & My Katamari, and I bought this so I could play my new PSP while waiting for M&MK to come out. Now that they're both out, instead of dropping Mega Man: Powered Up, I've been splitting my time between the two, and I'm a huge Katamari Damacy fan. MM:PU is really fantastic. The amount of replay value afforded the game by having the bosses as unlockable characters is incredible. I really love this game.
    Feedback thread here