Thread: Atari "GLOBETROTTER": Next Stop: Brazil!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari "GLOBETROTTER": Next Stop: Brazil!

The new Globetrotter World Tour website is now online!

I've posted a similar message over on AtariAge, but wanted to announce it here too, for those who don't often frequent AA.

Check out the new website here!

Here's a link to the previous DP topic about it.

In other news... Hell freezes over!

Yes, it has been a loooong delay getting the new info up and current, but I re-designed the look for the site and the content for the postcarts and maps of regions Trotter has been to so far. I should be able to make small updates on the weekends starting next week. I've got another month of school to finish up my 3rd year of college, then the summertime will give me some more time to get additional maps and pages for extra photos, etc.

The website still needs some polish. Some of the things I still need to do include:

Adding the correct "distance traveled" mileage for each map page and fix the spacing of the text.

I'm not totally satisfied with some of the maps, specifically the ones that are getting crowded with path info and "To" and "From" boxes inside the state/nation/island being focused on in each map. Some of these maps will need to be re-centered and I can "gray-out" the surrounding land and put the "To"'s and "From"'sin the grayed areas.

I also plan to add a "Frequently Asked Questions" section to explain things like "Where do I sign up?" and "What is a homebrew?" for those unfamiliar with the hobby.

The map software I used draws the state/province borders for the Western Hemisphere, but not the rest of the world. I've added some of these, but there are still places in Europe, etc. that still need their state borders added.

Adding an "Events" page for the many photos that have been taken with Atari programmers and fans at expos, etc.
    ---

Trotter's original e-mail account keep getting flooded with SPAM mail, so I'll ask Jarett at Packrat Video Games to close that account soon. Trotter has new contact info, so if you have constructive comments about the website, or questions about hosting, you can send a message to this new account. I'll write it like this so those web spiders out there can't easily find it:

trotterjotter at gmail dot com

Or you can post comments to this thread.

I'm waiting for confirmation that Trotter made it to Freisen, Germany, to retrogaming fan gambler172's home. From there, Trotter will stay in Germany for a while. If you are in Germany( a lot of you reading this are ), now's a great time to sign up to represent your state or city.

The best for last:

I want to apologize for not posting about this earlier since I was deep in the website update process. I want to acknowledge Atari Charles and Gregory DG for their efforts in posting Charles's

Interview with Trotter

on Atari Times, done late last year. They deserve kudos for their support!

Over the next several weeks I'll be contacting everybody that has or will host Trotter. I'll be pointing them to the new website and correcting any outdated info, like e-mail or city they live in, etc. and make corrections to the photos, maps, etc. on the site. If you see something incorrect on the site, you can contact me first via PM, or Trotter's new e-mail, or post in this thread.

The journey continues...
    Last edited by Gateway; 07-15-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: update
    Sign up for the Globetrotter World Tour! PM me or email: trotterjotter at gmail dot com

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Woohoo! The Washington Generals will never stand a chance. I don't know why they even try!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Birthday to Trotter! He turns 3 today!

Trotter has joined game archivist, Rom Hunter for a trip to Egypt! He should be back to the Netherlands in April with some cool photos to share!

Also, Trotter sends out a "Happy Birthday" to everybody who shares with him today as their birth/activation date.

I've added the first update to the website since the relaunch. Still a bunch of features I want to add over time, but for now you can check out the new photos from host gambler172 in Germany.

I've also added a bunch more names to the host list, including a host in Chile, which means I'll need to Add South America and Africa to the website menu soon. Also added names to Germany, Texas, South Carolina and Vermont, and Monterrey, Mexico.

I still need to write back to some of these new hosts and confirm their locations, etc. I'll send replies as soon as I can.

If you are residing in Germany or the Netherlands and want to participate, we can use you soon! Next on my agenda is a FAQ page so people will know what they are getting into when they sign up.

Thanks everybody for your support!

More soon,

Weston
    Last edited by Gateway; 01-08-2007 at 04:11 AM.
    Sign up for the Globetrotter World Tour! PM me or email: trotterjotter at gmail dot com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey everybody!

Here's an excerpt from my latest update to the website:

It's been over a month, but I'm happy to add Africa to the map section and 19 new photos! This includes shots taken in Amsterdam, the Pyramids near Cairo, and views of the total eclipse on Trotter's activation day, March 29th!

I've also redone a few of the maps for Germany( state borders ) and have added a light gray around the map area I want to focus on for each region. I'll be modifying the other region maps this way in the future.

I'm waiting for confirmation that Trotter arrived safely in Finland. From there, current plans in the works could take Trotter to visit Yellowstone National Park in the USA, and/or a possibly return trip to another part of Africa!
    The FAQ page is a shadow of what it should be, but for now, I've got a placeholder for it on the site. I'll polish it up and go into better detail as soon as I can.

http://www.musevox.com/trotter/index.htm

Later,

Weston

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Roam if you want to, Roam around the world! :music:

Hey everybody! Thanks for your patience. The site is updated with maps for Trotter's adventures during the summertime and fall seasons. I've added sections for West Africa and the Middle East.

Trotter is now with classic gamer lucifershalo visiting parts of New Zealand and Singapore.

Trotter recently completed one of his goals: to circumnavigate the globe: He made it from Bangkok, Thailand (Oct. 2005) eastward back to Bangkok (Nov. 2006) in just over a year's time.

I'm resolving this year to update the website every week to keep it "live" and caught up, even if it is just minor changes to the site. I feel I neglected the site in 2006 and want to fix that. This week I will be heavily involved in bringing together all the elements I can for the Limited Edition Silver Trotter carts. Since Packrat Video Games is now located about 5 hours drive from me, I'll probably have them mail me the built carts, etc. and I will be sending out each package directly. Once I get the PayPal/payment system set up the way I want I'll begin accepting orders.

A few of you have requested certain letters already and I will do my best to honor those requests. To be fair, everybody that wants one should have at least 2 letters to choose in the event your first choice is already spoken for. More about this, and new pictures of the cart, map, etc. coming soon.

Happy New Year and Happy Trails!
    Last edited by Gateway; 02-23-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a small update this time. So far, so good.

Progress continues on the silver Trotter carts.

I've added a few photos I found that I had misplaced for host #31( Zach Matley ). Enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BUMP!

Just added an update yesterday and I went back and added up the total approxiamate distance Trotter has journeyed thus far( rounded to the nearest kilometer ). As of reaching Malaysia, the current total is: 355,853 kilometers! I put this on the main page and will eventually get each individual page's numbers added up and displayed for each mini-trip and so forth.

Trotter is currently with DP member smork, who currently resides in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. They are enjoying the festivities in that part of the world in connection with the Chinese New Year.

Also, smork is taking Trotter to visit parts of Indonesia( Bali ) and Singapore!

I've included maps for lucifershalo's trip to Singapore and New Zealand, though I am waiting for a few photos from his trip and will add those when I get them.

If anybody else who has hosted Trotter has photos lying around that you have been meaning to send me, let me know and we can arrange for me to get them added to the Trotter website. Thanks.

Weston

P.S. @stonic: I've still got you down as a host, so no worries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey everybody!

I added a bunch of photos over the weekend for the new Events and Honors section for Trotter's website.

http://www.musevox.com/trotter/events.htm

I needed an extra few days to make sure the pages were linked correctly, so they should all be working now. You will find the first batch of photos with Trotter at Eurocon 2004 and Classic Gaming Expo 2004. The collection also includes Trotter posing with programmers of some of our favorite video games of yesteryear!

But I may have overlooked some info from my notes from 2 years ago for the captions to these photos and I want them to be accurate. If you see mistakes, misspellings, etc. , let me know through e-mail or PM and I'll fix it ASAP.

I've been sitting on these for a while, but thought better late than never. I still have photos and other items to add next week including vgXpo Dallas, PhillyClassic 5, Utah gaming party, NWCGE, to name a few... also a few awards and interviews where Trotter has been featured.

I want to give credit where it is due. If you see a photo you took or would like to submit photo(s) from an expo or other event where Trotter is visible, let me know and I will credit you. At the same time, out of respect, I will modify or remove any photos if requested by the subject in the photo( programmer or other person ) if that person is uncomfortable with me using their likeness on Trotter's site.

Also, I am expecting a few photos soon from Trotter's time in Malaysia. More photos in a week!

Later,

Weston

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Everybody!

I know it's been a bit quiet from Trotter lately ( due in part to me having my Internet connection down for several days ), but I wanted to share some photos of Trotter's latest trip!

Long story short, A millionaire- private entrepreneur/investor based in Malaysia got permission from the Malaysian government to launch a rocket of his own design which he had been building for the last several years with the help of several private investors along with his own resources. His destination? A return to the surface of the Moon!

Trotter was already visiting Malaysia and I was informed by the previous host that he was aquainted with the millionaire and had made arrangements to book passage for Trotter on the rocket trip! Also, he would provide some photos, after the Malaysian government catalogued them first as part of their aggrement to help fund the trip, and NASA and the U.S. government also who've provided intel and astronaut suits and other technology not used since the late 70's.

More pics may be on the way if Trotter appears in them!

Later,

Weston

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wait, what kind of Cart is this...A Game or what

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi MarioMania,

In short, Globetrotter is only a 2-screen demo for the 2600, but has taken on a unique challenge and adventure, being hosted by gaming enthusiasts all around the world! Trotter has also made appearances at several shows such as PhillyClassic 5 and CGE 2K4 and the upcoming CGE 2K7

The Silver Trotter Limited Edition carts I have just made available are commemorating 2.5 years and the first 50 times Trotter has changed hands from one host to another.

Since there is only one "official" Trotter out there, I wanted to make a special edition cart for collectors and game enthusiasts, though I admit as a demo, Trotter doesn't do much in the "gameplay" sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A minor update to the site: http://www.musevox.com/trotter/index.htm

Attached is a teaser photo for now. More to be added next update. Thanks to Charles Gray and Alejandro Cao de Benos
    for their help in setting up this rare opportunity!

I have also updated the reserve list for the remaining Silver Trotter carts in the "Store" section,
    and added some T-shirts to the inventory. If you reserved in the past, I am now catching up and will
    try to get these shipped out in time for Christmas. I will be sending out e-mails while finishing up
    classes for the semester this week. Check the "Store" page for more info and contact me( I still
    need to clear some room in my PM box ) if you have questions. I also have about 3 unclaimed
    Silver Trotter letters available from the 26 total. (Have to double-check on which letters)

$50 each, $45 with host discount. Black Tees $10 ea. White Tees $5 ea. US Dollars.
    I accept PayPal( though I still need to update the new logos )

Back to finals homework! Later,

Weston

trotterjotter at gmail dot com

More Info about Silver Trotter here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101650

Below, Trotter is "Visiting the monument for the Worker's Party of Korea foundation.
    Hammer, painting brush and sickle represents workers, intellectuals and
    peasants, masters of the country." -from email

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Hacked!

Okay, this sucks!

So I'm this close to the newest website update for the Globetrotter Tour( nearly a year's worth of travel ). I have been slaving away the past two months a few hours every night to get caught up with the maps, photos, etc.

I am ready to upload the first batch of new pages to my site, but the homepage now looks like this!

Some schmuck callin him or herself "vaporware" has hacked into my site and wrecked havoc with my format!

It will take me another day or two to go through and restore the links and other damage inflicted. Once that's done I can finish uploading the new maps, photos, and other content I have ready for this update, most notably the new photos from North Korea, as well as pics from New Zealand, Japan, and a few other things.

If anybody knows a good security software package or have suggestions of how I can protect my parent's website( where Trotter's site is hosted ), let me know, or if I should be using another browser in the future? I still use IE 6 ( I don't trust IE 7 so I haven't downloaded it ).

Anyway, I am so tired now! I'll have to deal with this after I get some sleep. It just pisses me off that I have another obstacle to deal with before I can put this latest update behind me as I will be taking a trip out of town this weekend, so I want to get this updated before then.

Trotter is still currently in Rangoon(Yangon), Burma aka Myanmar. Thanks all for your patience. Goodnight.

Weston :zzz:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mega- upload to website!

Hey Everybody! Look who's back from the grave...

I've spent the last few nights uploading a mega load of new content to the Trotter site, nearly a year worth of travel! Check it out here:

The tempest in Burma, The tour of North Korea, April Fool's... It's all there!

Note re: North Korea: I wanted to say that, love him or hate him, Atari Charles was instrumental in getting Trotter into the DPRK, so props to him for his help.

Thanks for your patience. Trotter is still alive and well and currently should be in Sante Fe, New Mexico now.

In August, Trotter plans to meet up with member Boatofcar, who will be in the US shortly, before returning to his work in Ulsan, South Korea!

In the meantime, if you live in Albuquerque, or nearby, (or Alamargardo ) Trotter would like to see more of New Mexico, before he heads toward West Virginia to meet up with Boatofcar, in August.

Also, now that the bulk of the website is updated, I will be focusing on the remaing Silver Trotters that are reserved for people. If you are still on the list, I will contact you soon. I would like to sell the rest of these to make room for some new projects I'm working on. Also, I have some T-shirts still available. I will be updating the Store page over the next few days to more accurately reflect what I have left.

Send me an e-mail if you have comments or questions ( PM Inbox is full right now ! )

06-19-08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I'm looking forward to taking Trotter into The Land of the Morning Calm!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I look forward to reading and seeing Trotter's Trip to South Korea. Just don't let the South Korean Imigration know about Trotter visiting the North(DPRK). If you can, try and take Trotter to the DMZ and gets pics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Trotter in South America. Next Stop: Brazil!

Hey everybody!

For those of you here following the Globetrotter World Tour over the years, I have made a major update to the site and wanted to mention here as well as in Atari-land.

I moved to another state recently, so was unemployed and had some time to get caught up on many maps and photos, etc:

I have also added Trotter's recent http://www.musevox.com/trotter/event/peru.htm
    archelogical adventure near Trujillo, La Libertad, Peru.

Trotter is now enroute to Curitiba, PR, Brazil to meet up with TomBrazil any day now!

Later!

07-15-12