Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VGRebirth stealing images from other website(s)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain nintendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I'm sorry but you seem to have missed my last question since I edited my post after you responsed. Please answer me this;

Does the original scanner of the image have the legal (key word there) right to scan the box art and publish it to a website without the original owner or publisher's permission?

I say he does not and that by doing so he is in fact stealing someone else's work himself. These images are copyrighted for a reason you know.
    While I do see your point, I dont think it has bearing on this discussion. Let's stick to the topic at hand........
    How is this not relevant to the topic at hand? What you're basically saying is that we should simply ignore the fact that you guys are stealing these images yourself because it suits your needs but we should start up a posse and hang a person who may have turned around and stole your stolen images.

Please, someone explain to me how this isn't so blatantly hypocritical that it's stunning. I have to be missing something here like where you guys legally secured the rights to the original images before you published them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    Somehow I think that this would be less of an issue if RFGen and their "supporters" weren't running a competing database. I've already offered to give RF credit for any scan they can prove is theirs. I've yet to have one person email me about this situation from their site.
    "I suppose that this would be less...." Let me fix that for you. It should read, "I suppose this would be less of an issue if the people who did the work of scanning the damned images would just roll over and keep their mouths shut."

I love how you get caught stealing and then you have the gall to try to throw mud at the people who comment on your stealing. Then you think that because you now agree to give credit for what you've already been caught stealing that this makes ammends?

You're a thief. Optistealer is admitting through his very screen name that he's a thief.

Why not just come out and admit it and apologize? You're certainly not going to win this pissing match because you're entirely in the wrong.
    And are you admiting from your screen-name that you use Cue files to burn all of your ISO (BIN files). Look out...he's a rommie! Let me ask you this. Did RFGen when it decided to add a system to its site magically have a list of all the games that were released for it? No doubt they scoured the internet and probably DP and "stole" the data. VGR does the same thing. I'm not going to apologize because I do not check every one of the thousands of images on my site to see if they existed elsewhere on the net. I've already said I would give RF credit where credit is due, but this is out of netiquette not because I am beholden to do so.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And are you admiting from your screen-name that you use Cue files to burn all of your ISO (BIN files). Look out...he's a rommie! Let me ask you this.
    Umm... good guess. Pass the cough syrup. I'm a martial arts instructor who happens to enjoy billiards.

And you're not doing it out of netiquette. You're doing it because you don't want the negative publicity on this and other sites. To make your actions now seem noble is laughable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    And are you admiting from your screen-name that you use Cue files to burn all of your ISO (BIN files). Look out...he's a rommie! Let me ask you this.
    Umm... good guess. Pass the cough syrup. I'm a martial arts instructor who happens to enjoy billiards.

And you're not doing it out of netiquette. You're doing it because you don't want the negative publicity on this and other sites. To make your actions now seem noble is laughable.
    The only thing the negative publicity is going to do is allow people to compare VGR to RFGen and allow the users of this site decide if they chose, which one provides the online data and usability that they want out of a collector database (if they want it at all).

I'm not sure what else I can do to mitigate this little net-war. You want me to apologixe to RFGen..sure..I'm sorry that a overzealous site user took scans from your site and presented them as his own and that VGR used said images. There. I will not apologize for blantant thievery of RFGen's scans, however, because no one on my staff ever went to their site and harvested it directly.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo
    I've already offered to give RF credit for any scan they can prove is theirs.
    With that said can this thread be locked.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow Gripeking...... Just wow.

I think I will leave the final posting up to Speedy since he started this thread. But it seems as if maybe "RevQuixo" or one of the RFGEN admins should e-mail or pm each other about the issue.

(I agree with tynstar...lock it up)

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Griking - I we clam the scan not the cover art you dumb ass. I am not scanning images then making a repro case. Do you have any clue what this thread is about?

@RevQuixo - From what I understand when Mike created RFG Joe helped Mike with the data. I would have to check for sure with Joe since I wasn't around then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain nintendo
    I'm sorry but you seem to have missed my last question since I edited my post after you responsed. Please answer me this;

Does the original scanner of the image have the legal (key word there) right to scan the box art and publish it to a website without the original owner or publisher's permission?

I say he does not and that by doing so he is in fact stealing someone else's work himself. These images are copyrighted for a reason you know.
    While I do see your point, I dont think it has bearing on this discussion. Let's stick to the topic at hand........
    How is this not relevant to the topic at hand? What you're basically saying is that we should simply ignore the fact that you guys are stealing these images yourself because it suits your needs but we should start up a posse and hang a person who may have turned around and stole your stolen images.

Please, someone explain to me how this isn't so blatantly hypocritical that it's stunning. I have to be missing something here like where you guys legally secured the rights to the original images before you published them.
    I was going to bring up some points, but most have been brought up now, so I will limit this to a couple replies. First of all, why start an argument on copyrighted material when the issue here is more one of morality? One of the primary uses of the images, as far as I'm concerned, is to help collectors know what to look for. For instance, if nobody knows what a particular rare game looks like, they are less likely to pick it up if they ever come across it. The same goes for variations - anybody that is into variations would like to see some proof that they actually exist. It could be that the form of the images, being scans and not photographs, has brought up the 'stealing from the original creators' issue, but the intention is not to profit from their artwork.

Now going back to what I said earlier, the main issue here was the stealing of the time and effort spent on making these scans and hence not complying with the intention and motivation behind the time and effort spent on making the scans. Everybody that wants to achieve anything in life has to spend time and effort on something to have it grow. Many users have spent time and effort trying to make RFGeneration what it is today. When another site with a similar aim rips images from RFGeneration, then they are trying to increase their growth at the expense of RFGeneration's growth. Profiting is obviously a very relative term and one that is not always linked to a monetary value.

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo
    I'm not sure what else I can do to mitigate this little net-war. You want me to apologixe to RFGen..sure..I'm sorry that a overzealous site user took scans from your site and presented them as his own and that VGR used said images. There. I will not apologize for blantant thievery of RFGen's scans, however, because no one on my staff ever went to their site and harvested it directly.
    You claim that no one on your staff did this, but the 'overzealous site user' that you speak of is staff, is he not? Also, does it not say in your submissions FAQ that you accept images from other sites as long as there are no watermarks? Lastly, was it not another staff member on your forums that basically said that you accept images from other sites, clearly without permission? My original post on here was not simply about RFGen, it was also to inform others about the potential theft of images from their sites - and this is the only place to really accomplish that. This was one of the reasons why I did not directly contact you or other staff at VGR. Am I expected to go through your entire database to compare all of the scans in order to send you a list where credit is due? Either way, I agree that we should lock this thread and continue the discussion through PM/e-mail. I will send a PM within a couple days - have to concentrate on exams right now.
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You kids need to play nice. Try harder next time.

-LOCKED-
    #vbender