Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Keep Track Of Your Games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Default How Do You Keep Track Of Your Games?

This is probably a borderline topic for the Collector's Database are, but I'll try here first because I'm not sure.

Anyways, how does everyone keep track of what games they have, without digging through the proverbial archives? Do you use the DP Guides (of which one is sold out at the moment)? The online guide? Something else? It's partly curiosity on my part, but also because I'd like to know if anyone has ever concocted a program to do just this (and for the Mac OS, too).
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use http://users.ign.com/collection/ or whatever the link to it is. It's alright if you don't have all that many games, but I'm sure if you're a hardcore collector, then theres something better out there for you :P

IGN collection page suits me just fine as a gamer, not as a collector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ahem... I hope I don't step on anybody's toes whatnot with the recent thread but I use www.vgrebirth.org

It's a great way of keeping track of games. I wish it were a little easier to add and remove games however (you have to click on game's bio and then click "own" there should just be a checkmark box to click on)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a Excel spreadsheet I made and the the collection tool over at www.rfgeneration.com

I use to use IGN but my collection page took forever to load and getting a game added to the site took forever if it was ever added at all.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    ahem... I hope I don't step on anybody's toes whatnot with the recent thread but I use www.vgrebirth.org

It's a great way of keeping track of games. I wish it were a little easier to add and remove games however (you have to click on game's bio and then click "own" there should just be a checkmark box to click on)
    Boooo hissss
    lol

But more seriously
    I use to use IGN(i still update everynow and then in hopes of winning my top wishlist games, though i think you have to be a much more active member to win), moved onto a personal database, found Collectorz(got in trouble for stealing info and images from sites like MobyGames back when i was using it) and RFGen the same day and used both of those (RFGen is still the only one i use), messed around with the DP one. But it is more for checking out rarity than actually catologing my games here.

I have tried out one on one on i think GameCrazy.com and it sucked too. I used Cart Commander at some point too but stopped shortly after starting.

In short there are ALOT more suck databases on the web than good ones. MANY have good aspects though.

Many of them require too much work and help not enough people(personal ones), others take WAY to long to update info you send(ALL of them i have used except RFGen[because i add the info for the most part]) or just arn't what i am looking for (DP[no offense guys]).

IGN falls into pretty much all of those categories. IMO it is one of the worst i have used.
    Just my opinion though. I am sure people will disagree.

EDIT
    Hasn't this topic been beat to hell all over these boards?
    I swear i have typed this or something similair to it (possibly)hundreds of times on dozens of boards.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

My primary list is a Excel list that I created for my own dastardly anality when it comes to collecting. I've got an IGN list, which is incomplete due to missing games they've never added and the fact that after 1500 games the edit function that allows me to add more games takes forever to do unless I use a back door, which just makes adding stuff really slow. I started one here on DP but again, going thru and doing all that clicking got really tedious after a while. so it stopped.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thatinkjar uses a archiving program that contains info and a box scan for each game i guess. hopefully he sees this to offically document it in a thread so ppl can see the options.

whan i get out of school i plan on using word and taking pictures/ getting them off the net (for my own purposes). it will have a table of contents, to structure its sections per system then sub structure each system section alphabetically

right now i use the dp list. it wroks very well for an online database, although the mods are a little slow adding new games ( no ofense, I know you guys have lives)
    I hope to get some collectors guides too, although I don't think I'll ever mark them up
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

excel

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a spreadsheet program.

(openoffice)

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Damn, all these answers sound like work.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Word

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven

I wish it were a little easier to add and remove games however (you have to click on game's bio and then click "own" there should just be a checkmark box to click on)
    Eh? There are checkboxes next to each title on VGR (as long as you're logged in) No need to do it the long way.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a thread about this just last week.

After experimenting with everything, it came down to a few choices.

I wasn't happy with the commercial applications like Cart Commander and Game collectorz as they weren't thorough enough and aren't being updated like they should.

I created my own quick database but it became painfully obvious that I didn't want to have to input all the games myself, talk about time consuming. I could've written any front end and reports I wanted that way which appeals to me as a programmer, but in the end I bagged that because of the work factor.

I tried the various online collectors tools and am a recent RFGeneration convert (you can see my budding NES collection there) for their ease of use and willingness to listen to users regarding features that we want, but nobody online has.

Just my 2 cents.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, and one more thing, if you're doing it yourself and can do it, use Access as opposed to Excel as you can create an easier front end using their forms and create simple easy reports that run instantly. In Excel you are essentially doomed to forever add things manually.

For those already in Excel, if you have your stuff intelligently laid out in Excel you can import them into Access.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I use the Collectorz Game Collector. It's a little price but for any decent collection it's a very useful tool, especially if you need to keep track of loaned copies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I list my games in a 3 column word doc and tally up totals for each system. For Atari 2600, I divided it out by publisher as well since I have over 200 carts.

Then I put all the systems and their totals into a simple excel spreadsheet to get a grand total.

So when I get a new game or when a get rid of a game, I add or remove it from the word doc, change the subtotal(s) on the word doc, then put those subtotals into excel.

Pretty simple.

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

am i the only person who remembers what i've got in my noggin? the only thing is i can't remember what has manuals etc. so when i get a job lot of games, i check them accross with the older copy to check out condition/manual etc.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    Oh, and one more thing, if you're doing it yourself and can do it, use Access as opposed to Excel as you can create an easier front end using their forms and create simple easy reports that run instantly. In Excel you are essentially doomed to forever add things manually.

For those already in Excel, if you have your stuff intelligently laid out in Excel you can import them into Access.
    Thanks for the tip Dave.

And I use www.rfgneration as my collection tool because it is easy to use and you can track your carts,boxes and manuals for each game. And even leave a comment about the game.
    Like Cuewarrior said, if there are issues or a game that needs to be added, it gets done FAST Also, any title,scan or information added is credited to the individual user who brought it up.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    am i the only person who remembers what i've got in my noggin? the only thing is i can't remember what has manuals etc. so when i get a job lot of games, i check them accross with the older copy to check out condition/manual etc.
    Do you have alot of games though?
    I am at just under 500 myself.
    I know pretty much all the games i have.
    I can't recite the titles to you but when i am out buying games i will remember if i own it or not.
    Well except 2600 stuff, which i don't buy now anyways.

I can't be bothered with it to be honest.
    I got some sorted them and left it in the box they came in.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I actually use the DP books for all the older stuff. I've thought of making an excel sheet, but I really don't have the time to do it. I also started to use Rfgen so I have a list that is accessable online.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew