Thread: VGRebirth i didn't type this for nothing.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default VGRebirth i didn't type this for nothing.

Ban me from DP if you want but i didn't type all this shit just to let a locked topic stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo
    Now in terms of Optigrab...he contributed hundreds of scans to the site before I made him staff. He also contributed typing out the box text for hundreds of other profiles. Now I will readily admit to not asking him where the scans came from, but the reality of the internet is that data trades hands freely. We use small thumbnails of boxes as identifiers for games....not as a selling point from the site. No one can use our 200 pixel wide/high shots for any functional purpose. They are too tiny for anything other than saying "your game should look like this".
    Like i said before i have personally reviewed thousands of scans for our database as have other staff members. I have denied thousands as well. Because they were obviously stolen. And what does that say about you promoting this guy to a staff position? Do you even talk to them? How does a question like "Hey where are you getting all of these scans from? Especially all the rare ones?" not come up?

Somehow I think that this would be less of an issue if RFGen and their "supporters" weren't running a competing database. I've already offered to give RF credit for any scan they can prove is theirs. I've yet to have one person email me about this situation from their site. Instead they continue to rant and rave on a third party site, which in my estimation has more to do with people like anagrama saying that VGR is "head and shoulders" above other database sites than it has anything to do about images.
    I could give a damn less about the competing website BS.
    Many people list their collections in multiple places and use multiple messageboards. Your just trying to make this arguement into soemthing it is not. Just like the people comparing this to dumping ROMs.

I have even said if not in this thread in another that i like the way your database is set up. I give respect where respect is deserved.

No doubt they scoured the internet and probably DP and "stole" the data. VGR does the same thing. I'm not going to apologize because I do not check every one of the thousands of images on my site to see if they existed elsewhere on the net. I've already said I would give RF credit where credit is due, but this is out of netiquette not because I am beholden to do so.
    Hmmm let me see.
    RFGen was a splinter group from Video Game Bible(which died at an accelerated rate when they left VGB). So all the info they started with was from an already existing older website that had been somewhat in collaboration with websites like DigitPress and AtariAge.

I can go thru our news archives and see we thanked DP and specifically Joe Santulli for donating lists for at least 5 systems. We have also had lists of systems donated by ReneLips who runs www.renelips.nl has sent us lists for at least 4 systems.

We have scans for rare games donated by nice people like Ben Smith who donated alot of images and info about the Nintendo World Championship cart. We have people like FND and bum-man who we found thru eBay and have contributed images for hundreds if not thousands of images before they sold them.

Pick any image in our database. It can be traced back to a specific person(because we credit them) on our website who owns it.

So don't say "VGR does the same thing" because you most certainly do not.

I have said all i wanted to.
    Lock the topic, kick me from DP.
    I don't care.
    Anything else that needs to be said we can say elsewhere.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

please don't mind my ignorance, i'm just an observer here, but i see this fierce rivalry as a good thing. i believe as others do that no one has any rights to these images except those who own the copyrights and therefore cannot hold any claim to them.

having said that i have no morale issues with scanning either, i've used scans to replace badly damaged covers for various things, does that make me wrong? absolutley, but hell this is a dog eat dog world and the internet even more so, if a website can't protect it's material then dog eat dog another will take advantage of it, if it begins a fierce war that's great for the users because it keeps the competition on their feet, constantly working to be the better database, always striving to outdo the competition, in the end the users and the community will benefit by the rivalry, and anyone who's in the business world would agree with me.

btw hats off to both sites, a helluva lot of good work being put into both.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think this is anywhere near a bannable offense, izret, but the subject is rather closed, so I think just locking it up will suffice.

-AB+
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.