Thread: I want to mod my genesis 1

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I want to mod my genesis 1

So, I've searched the boards (perhaps I'm not using the correct search terms), scoured the net, and dived on into my favorites list, and I can't find the info I'm looking for, though I'm pretty sure I saw it once...somewhere. I've got a model 1 genesis, and I want to add RCA Jacks directly to the console.
    I might add s-video (and I found the info for that mod), but my tv doesn't have an s-video jack so I probably won't.
    And maybe a us/jpn switch, tho I don't have any MD games (and have never actually seen one in person) but I'll probably add it anyway.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go to google and type ''sega genesis RCA Jacks modding'' and you'll
    find loads on the first page, All the information you need will be there.

It really is that easy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just put that into google, and I'm not seeing it. Tho I note that your double quotes " for some reason came out on my end as two single quotes ' and google was returning every page that had any of those terms, I just retried with double quotes and get nothing at all, retried without quotes at all and get the same results as the first time, typing your search terms with +'s preceding each turns up nothing but xbox modding info. So if it really is just that easy, perhaps you could give me a link to one of these pages you say shows up on the first page with the info?
    Thanx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: I want to mod my genesis 1

To begin with, you have to have some basic electronics understanding to perform most of these mods, especially the video ones. That's why "do this... then this..." tutorials are hard to come by for most projects. I agree, what information that is there is pretty general.

Quote Originally Posted by coz
    So, I've searched the boards (perhaps I'm not using the correct search terms), scoured the net, and dived on into my favorites list, and I can't find the info I'm looking for, though I'm pretty sure I saw it once...somewhere. I've got a model 1 genesis, and I want to add RCA Jacks directly to the console.
    I can't help you there as I've never performed the mods myself. Try searching google for more general terms "Genesis 1 video mod", "Genesis composite video", etc. Here's a pinout of the socket on the Genesis 1...

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

I'd figure to tap what you need into the jacks you're going to install, basically it'd be like chaining a Genesis 1 AV component cable off the ass end of that. Also remember Genesis 1 = mono only out the back, so for L/R you'll want to split the audio out so you'll at least get it from both speakers. (I'm guessing someone will chime in with more on that)

And maybe a us/jpn switch, tho I don't have any MD games (and have never actually seen one in person) but I'll probably add it anyway.
    US/JPN modding requires more than just installing a switch. You also need to widen the cartridge slot and that's not just the removal of the two little tabs on the surface. The entire slot needs to be widened as Japanese Mega Drive carts are rectangular with a half circle on each end. (I say a good way to think of this is to imagine putting a Genesis cartridge in turned around, with the cartridge label facing the back - you need around that much clearance) Best way to go about that is via a small handheld rotary tool, I use a fiberglass cut off wheel on one personally. I perfer to mod Genesis 2 systems (more difficult in that there are so many board revisions but the theory is always the same with Genny 2's) but the Genesis 1 mod is technically easier, but there are a few board revisions.

Basically you want to look for the region jumpers on the board, JP1 and JP2. JP1 is for JPN mode, JP2 for US. You want to break the trace that runs to JP2. (this looks a little different between board revisions so study it for a moment) If you look carefully there should be a side of JP1 and JP2 that is common, in that at one point close by they came from the same connection. Solder the center pin of a SPDT switch to this common point at either JP1 or JP2. Then solder one of the pins to the other side of JP1 from the common, and the remaining pin to JP2 on the other side from the common. That's it.

Now JP3 and JP4 control 50Hz / 60Hz respectively. Same thing, break the JP4 trace, solder a SPDT switch to the common, one pin to JP3, the other to JP4. US mode + 50Hz = EUR mode for PAL games.

For the most part it's hard to get the people that do mods as a service to help you out with technical issues, but you really can't blame them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanx InsanseDavid, I do realize there is some general electronics know-how needed, I do have some general electronics know-how, but have never attempted anything like this before, which is why I was looking for a tutorial, or at least some pics and parts lists. And I realize the US/Jpn switch is more than just a switch, tho didn't quite realize exactly all that was involved, and since I don't actually have any non-us carts probably won't be doing it after all (thanx for the info tho). I'm using a model 1 since that's what I have an extra of, and while I'm in there repairing the power connector, I figured I might as well add some more functionality like rca jacks, so that when I travel with my extra, I don't have to unhook my sega a/v cables. So I'll continue my search, and, as an aside, does anyone know if it's even remotely possible to add two extra controller ports to the genny, or is there some custom logic inside the team player or ea 4-player adapters that would prevent that from working?

I totally don't blame folks who make money off doing mods for not providing the info for free, that's totally understandable, I just find it odd with all the modding info on the net for, say the NES, that there's next to none for the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I totally don't blame folks who make money off doing mods for not providing the info for free, that's totally understandable, I just find it odd with all the modding info on the net for, say the NES, that there's next to none for the Genesis.
    I sell modded consoles and do custom modifications and gladly post the knowledge. Most of it was out there at one point but dissapeared. A good deal of the people that do these mods, or fix PS2's, etc. learned it from some other source for free so it should be public information. It's not like, say, going to arcade repair school for a week and gaining the knolwedge. That's like going to college, you have to pay and it's the type of knowledge and certification that you pay for. As for this mod stuff... some children just don't want to share with the others. :/ ...unless you post information about a mod that's incorrect somewhere, than EVERYONE knows how to do it.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something i'll add for the cart slot mod.

When you widen the slot on the Genesis, use two "back" slot covers and cut the slot straight on the ends so its a rectangle.

These covers are square on the end instead of curved like the front and when you have two of them in place it makes the slot both wide enough for MD games and it also looks better and provides better dust protection.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you aren't going to region mod it and just want composite video, just get a composite video cable. Unless you are doing the S-Vid,there really is no point. A $10 cable will do the trick very neatly.

To everyone else, bear in mind when someone earns their living from something (not a hobby, but a full blown living), they may get too busy to handhold people with the step by step instructions they want, repeated over and over for each request, not to mention it runs counter to their efforts at earning a living.

A good deal of the people that do these mods, or fix PS2's, etc. learned it from some other source for free so it should be public information. It's not like, say, going to arcade repair school for a week and gaining the knolwedge.
    Utilizing this logic, then there is nothing stopping the inquisitive from learning the same ways the pros did. Absolutely nothing. The existence of this forum proves it.

IMO, I've given the poster the most precise and cost effective advice to do what he seems to want to do. Modding for composite only is not cost effective, or efficient. Jacks have to be carefully placed on a Genny 1 or you break function with SEGACD expansions, or Power Base Converter function. It can be done to preserve the abaility to use these expansions, but it takes careful planning.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thnax to everyone who responded with information.
    Omnedon, if I understand you correctly, you're saying it's just more cost effective (and obviously more efficient time-wise) to just buy myself a second gen 1 a/v cable as opposed to adding the jacks to my system?
    I was just looking for something fun and interesting to do in my spare time with my new soldering iron that I'm itching to break in as all I've done with it so far is 'make' a speaker for a multimedia artwork (I've owned several before, I just kept breaking them, don't buy the X-acto soldering iron/hot knife, they work for a little while, and then totally crap out, or break in half)
    Oh well, time to find another project...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For composite, yes. Stereo jacks could be handy, but again, where they go is key, unless you don't care about future SEGACD and PBC use.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    To everyone else, bear in mind when someone earns their living from something (not a hobby, but a full blown living), they may get too busy to handhold people with the step by step instructions they want, repeated over and over for each request, not to mention it runs counter to their efforts at earning a living.
    I didn't mean anything direct by my comment, you're always extremely helpful with anything that comes up - helped me figure out some problems here many times.

I just got burned out somewhat recently when I was looking for a simple yes or no question that anyone who performed said mod would be able to answer in two seconds without any hesitation. After going through a whole bunch of forums that had people that perform the mod as a service had posted in concerning the same question from someone else - out of six occurances not one would just answer the question. I figured I would ask the person who originally posted the question and in all six occurances they never got an answer either. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No worries. I get touchy too.I get a lot of requests for something for nothing.

Here is a tip. If there is any chance you have a question that may venture into possible 'trade secret' territory, take it to PM or e-mail. I've had occasional very specific questions about a specific system issue, that I've gotten answers that way, where asking for it to be divulged publically got me nothing.

That does not mean I give away hard won knowledge on everything in PM's. Nor does it mean the D-lites and Jeff Kurtz's do either, but a respectful, pointed,and intelligently asked question can often yield results.

Also, I did get the sense from your earlier post that since there is no 'Video Game repair school', that everything must be learned off the net. There is an element of that, but there is a LOT of time spent in R&D. Understandably, when one purs a whole weekend into something, and figures something out, you may not be too eager to make it public, so other repair shops can offer it too.

Anyway, I'm sorry coz if you feel discouraged. I tend to focus on practical issues. Since a Gen1 already generates composite, a composite jacks is simply putting in a jack and soldering ground and the signal. I've recently realized that if you want to use a Gen 1 with a SEGACD and a Power Base Converter, you've got a tiny space available for jacks, with room for Svid and stereo maximum (3 jacks). However, done right, the owner can have SMS S-video, Genesis and SEGACD S-video all out of the same unit.

Sometimes I should just shut up and let people fiddle and learn too. That can be half the fun, and Genny's are easy to replace anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone previously mentioned goto:

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

I finally got around to modifying my Genesis I, last weekend. To just get composite video and mono audio. Just jumper the traces for pins 2 and 6 to the cable connectors, and use pin 4 as the shield going to ground.

If you want stereo you could tap off the headphone jack. I was going to try this, but there wasn't room in the back where I planned to put the connectors so I went for mono only.

It really is simple to do, but if you don't know what you are doing then just buy the cable as suggested above.