Thread: Kid Kool ...?... Psycho Fox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Kid Kool ...?... Psycho Fox

Why does Kid Kool for NES play exactly like Psycho Fox for Master System?

Was it the same developer, or is one a rip-off of the other?

I enjoy both games, myself.. even though the control is a little odd.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

"Eternal Popcorn" (Honestly?... This probably isn't worth clicking.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same developer. Vic Tokai made these games (although I noticed Psycho Fox doesn't have a JPN release unless the title was vastly different). Also, if you ever play it, Decapattack (which was a completely different game in JPN) also uses the same game engine. It's probly the best of the bunch too. I haven't played Psycho Fox myself for I have no SMS, but if it plays anything like Kid Kool, then it's basically unplayable...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz
    Same developer. Vic Tokai made these games (although I noticed Psycho Fox doesn't have a JPN release unless the title was vastly different). Also, if you ever play it, Decapattack (which was a completely different game in JPN) also uses the same game engine. It's probly the best of the bunch too. I haven't played Psycho Fox myself for I have no SMS, but if it plays anything like Kid Kool, then it's basically unplayable...
    Oh, okay..

I don't know why, but for some reason I enjoy Kid Kool.. It was incredibly annoying to me at first, but somehow it just grew on me. I'm not saying it's fun.. I'm just saying I enjoy it.

And Psycho Fox, by the way, is pretty much the same as Kid Kool... except you play as a fox. And you have the added feature of being able to change your character's appearance into other animals... for some pointless reason.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The added ability to punch also makes Psycho Fox much more playable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoyed Psycho Fox, so I'm definately going to have to check out Kid Kool now.

And Psycho Fox, by the way, is pretty much the same as Kid Kool... except you play as a fox. And you have the added feature of being able to change your character's appearance into other animals... for some pointless reason.
    The different animals had slightly different abilities (jump higher, run faster, break walls) which allowed you to access different areas.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark III
    I really enjoyed Psycho Fox, so I'm definitely going to have to check out Kid Kool now.

The different animals had slightly different abilities (jump higher, run faster, break walls) which allowed you to access different areas.
    Oh, okay... I never knew this. But I never really played Psycho Fox too long because I don't own a Master System..(I want one so badly!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well let me just add that since you liked those games, you'd probably love Decapattack. I enjoy Decapattack myself, as it's a well made platformer. The momentum based running is still there, but it's not nearly as extreme as it was in Kid Kool (which what annoyed me about Kid Kool). The platforming and level layouts are also well designed. You should pick it up if you ever run into a copy.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

And don't forget about the original Japanese version of DecapAttack: Majikaru Hashito no Butsutobi Turbo! Daibouken. Or Magical Hats, as (I think) EGM once referred to it. The game was given a total makeover to become DecapAttack, along the lines of what Nintendo did to make Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic into SMB2, only moreso.