Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple questions for a Jaguar CD owner

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A couple questions for a Jaguar CD owner

If you own the Jaguar CD unit, then I have a couple of questions for you.

1. What power supply does the CD unit use? Is it like the SNES power supply, where you have to use one specific to it?

2. When the Jaguar CD unit is attatched to the Jaguar, what video output does it use? Reason being I have a Jaguar S-Video cable, and I was wondering if I'll still be able to use that cable if I get the CD system and have the CD system attatched.

3. I've always heard that you can't play backups on a Jaguar CD, because of some really tricky encryption scheme that it uses, but this one guy I know says that he can use backups on his, and I'm trying to find out if he's telling the truth.

Also, if anybody can provide a picture of the back of a Jag unit with the CD system attatched, I would really appreciate. I'm trying to see what kind of connections are on the back. Like can I get RGB video from the thing when the CD unit is connected to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check here for info about the Dev BIOS.

Jay Smith has an amazing collection too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Default Re: A couple questions for a Jaguar CD owner

1) Same Power Supply as the Jaguar.

2) no connections on the Jag CD itself other than power supply. So use whatever cable you have for the Jaguar.

3) If you have a "Jag Free" cart (protector SE, Battlesphere Gold, or stand-alone cart) you can play unencrypted CDs (earlier homebrews). I have not heard of backups working though...

Enjoy the VLM, this is the highlight of the Jag CD experience! :P

Cheers,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    If you own the Jaguar CD unit, then I have a couple of questions for you.

1. What power supply does the CD unit use? Is it like the SNES power supply, where you have to use one specific to it?

2. When the Jaguar CD unit is attatched to the Jaguar, what video output does it use? Reason being I have a Jaguar S-Video cable, and I was wondering if I'll still be able to use that cable if I get the CD system and have the CD system attatched.

3. I've always heard that you can't play backups on a Jaguar CD, because of some really tricky encryption scheme that it uses, but this one guy I know says that he can use backups on his, and I'm trying to find out if he's telling the truth.

Also, if anybody can provide a picture of the back of a Jag unit with the CD system attatched, I would really appreciate. I'm trying to see what kind of connections are on the back. Like can I get RGB video from the thing when the CD unit is connected to it.
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, does both the Jag and the Jag CD each need to have their own PSU hooked up at the same time, or does one PSU do the trick?

Ah, so the connections on the back of a regular Jag console are totally unaffected by the CD unit? That's cool. Means, I can use both my S-Video cable and RGB cable if need be.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, does both the Jag and the Jag CD each need to have their own PSU hooked up at the same time, or does one PSU do the trick?.
    Each unit needs to be plugged in, even if you're just playing a cartridge. If you don't have the PSU for the Jag CD plugged in a little graphic will show up on the screen with an arrow pointing to the back of the player, imploring you to plug it in. Something like that.

This falls into the "don't quote me on this" department, but I think the both PSU's have the same ratings as far as volts, amps, watts, polarity. . .but I still use the one that came with the Jag CD for itself, and the other for the base unit. Just in case.

OOPS!: guess le geek already covered the fact that the power supply for the Jag and Jag CD are the same. Sorry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What Jag CD games are even worth owning?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099

Not very many. But it does have the sequel to Cybermorph. I personally thought that Cybermorph was one of the most underrated games I can think of. It just gets completely trashed now.

I'll always be a fan of Cybermorph, and supposedly, the sequel on CD is much better. I think it's called Battlesphere or something like that. But, I think there are only a handfull of CD games that are even worth playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Vid Grid was okay and you'll probably get it with your Jag CD.. and Iron Solider 2.. and.. that's about all I cared for, the Jag CD release of Space Ace blew. Honestly I only ever owned one for the VLM. I normally didn't have the Jag CD connected because of the extra power supply requirement and how the connection between a cartridge and the Jaguar cartridge slot was even more problem prone when using a Jag CD as a passthrough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of the Jag CD games I've played, I liked Battlemorph a lot. Vid Grid was nothing I'd have ever tried out of my own volition, but when I saw my roommate playing it I had to try it, and it's actually pretty good at sucking you in and making you want to keep trying to do better.

Highlander was generally disliked, but I liked it a lot also.

I wanted to try Braindead 13, but I had 2 copies in a row that refuse to play far without crashing, so I haven't really played it. And I never liked the whole play concept of Dragon's Lair or Space Ace in the arcade, so I haven't bothered with them on the Jag.

I loved Myst on the PC; I assume it's identical on the Jaguar.

I found World Tour Racing unplayable, although it looked nice and I wanted to like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jag CD's store all of their data as music tracks on the disc. So while they are tricky to burn, once you have a method/program that makes backups of existing JagCD games those backups play just fine in an unmodified JagCD.

The JagCD has only a few good games on it that were originally released. Battlemorph and Dragon's Lair are my favorites. The cool thing about the JagCD is it's possibilty for homebrewing and future games. The last couple of years some nice games have been released like Painter and Gorf Classic on the JagCD. And I'm sure a few more will trickle out this year.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default Re: A couple questions for a Jaguar CD owner

If you own the Jaguar CD unit...
    ... then I really, really, sympathize with you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battlemorph
    is the best jag cd game.

i have made working backups of my own games just to see if it could be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Iron Soldier 2, Battlemorph and Baldies are the reasons I've wanted a Jag CD unit for years. My friend's got an immaculate unit stored in his attic along with a base unit and about 50 games or so. I remember.. back then Telegames would almost automatically send him every new release. He's got one of the deluxe controllers and an original S-Vid A/V cable as I recall.. some sweet stuff.

I keep begging him to sell it to me.. but he won't. Sucks.. guy hasn't played with it in 5 years.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, why are folks here picking on the Jag CD. So it had only a few good games. It's still a collectable system. Deal with it please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Native had been completed and released, I'd probably have a Jag just for that and AvP.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Jag CD does have some good games...

Iron Soldier II (although on cart, the CD version has FMVs and music and is better for that reason)
    BattleMorph (not Battlesphere, Morph is an absolutely excellent sequel in every way)
    Highlander (it's pretty cool, really)
    Vid Grid (I loved it, at least)

I also found World Tour Racing to be enjoyable. I don't like FMV games much, so I found Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and Braindead 13 to be nearly unplayable... although BD13 is at least kinda funny.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some Jaguar cd games I got on the net in ".cdi" format. I burned them with Alcohol 120 with no luck. Will the bypass cart let me play them, or can I burn them a different way?

Thanks

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozyr View Post
    Hey, why are folks here picking on the Jag CD. So it had only a few good games. It's still a collectable system. Deal with it please!
    One problem is the ridiculous price it goes for online, compared to the number of good games (or any games). Sure, there weren't a whole bunch of them that sold and even fewer can be found working today but you aren't getting your money's worth. That's for sure. I spent months looking for one online and can't remember seeing any units going for less than $100. The ones I found for a lower price than that ($70-80) were either "untested", had assorted "issues" or were flat-out broken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hypnotuba wrote: "Each unit needs to be plugged in, even if you're just playing a cartridge."

Not true. I played Dino Dudes (cart) yesterday through the CD player w/ just the Jag itself plugged in.

As for CD games:
    Primal Rage
    WTRacing (blocky/ugly by today's standards)
    BattleMorph
    Highlander (slow, but playable, footage from the cartoon show)
    Iron Soldier 2
    Vid Grid (shouldve made more of these)
    Hover Strike: UL
    Myst (damn near spot-on of the PC version)

I hauled my Jag out yesterday & a buddy & I were enjoying Kasumi Ninja, Ultra Vortek, & others. Still a fun system.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I second confirmation that a Jag cart can be played while the CD is powered off. In this case the CD unit is just acting as an extension of the cart slot. But I can't remember if the startup screen is the standard black or the "psychedelic" in this case. That would be telling as the psychedelic screen would indicate that the base unit is reading some information off of the CD unit even when there's no power going to it.

Playing backup games is probably not as simple as burning a cdi because of the encryption scheme. One may need to decrypt some or part of the image. I would just suggest doing a Google search for "Jaguar Encryption/Dercryption" and seeing if any tools or utilities exist to do this. I know that the encryption scheme was eventually cracked, but also that it was released when Hasbro dumped the Jag and Lynx rights to the public domain back around the year 1999 or so.

One bit of errata for anyone who needs it: You can substitute a Sega Genesis Model I power supply for either the base or the CD if you ever find yourself short one. Same pins, same voltage.