Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Press Conference PS3 Screens 56K Be Careful, dudez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Press Conference PS3 Screens 56K Be Careful, dudez.

Resistence

Ratchet

Motorstorm

F-1 Game and Interface

WarHawk

There are some more tech demo ones then, I'm not posting all

And to be a cynical bastard, here's some fun E3 2005 shots. Compare, laugh, cry, have fun dudez.
    Motostorm

Warhawk
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

They're much better then the untold legends screens but since they're either Video's or Tech demos they're not indicative of the final product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    since they're either Video's or Tech demos they're not indicative of the final product.
    These are pretty clearly meant to be indicative of the final product, since they're obviously running on the real PS3 hardware.

Anyway, the difference between that early War Hawk screen and this one is hillarious. Still looks alright, but much closer to an original Xbox game. Oh well, doesn't matter much to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great, more pre-rendered crap. The only one that even looked slightly convincing were the new screens for Resistance and Warhawk (Which, as Ed stated, looks like an Xbox game).

I still look forward to playing Ratchet, though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    since they're either Video's or Tech demos they're not indicative of the final product.
    These are pretty clearly meant to be indicative of the final product, since they're obviously running on the real PS3 hardware.
    Yes but just because they're running on PS3 hardware doesn't mean there indicative of the final product which is the game itself.

Remember tech demo's lack AI and mean other processor intesive routines which are present in the final product. You can always draw a pretty picture when you don't have to worry about everything else.

Remember the PS2 tech demo's that were running in real time but they cearly weren't indicative of the final products seen at the PS2's launch.

I'm not trying to be cynical, i'm just stating the facts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes but just because they're running on PS3 hardware doesn't mean there indicative of the final product which is the game itself.
    Sony isn't doing this just because they like looking bad, dude. This is clearly supposed to be leading towards giving journalists an impression of the final product.

Remember the PS2 tech demo's that were running in real time but they cearly weren't indicative of the final products seen at the PS2's launch.
    We've already seen the initial showings of the games knocked far back to something far less ambitious. What's being shown in this latest batch is pretty far behind what they originally showed. I don't see why you'd think the games are going to get even worse looking, since what's there right now isn't really that impressive.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Early tech demos are NEVER what the final product is meant to be, and thats the way it has always been, its not like Sony is the first one to do this. Hell, look at the early 360 stuff, XBox stuff, PS1 and 2, N64, DC and pretty much anything else.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Sony isn't doing this just because they like looking bad, dude. This is clearly supposed to be leading towards giving journalists an impression of the final product.
    You're missing the point. I never said that Sony was doing this because they look bad, i merely stated the same thing as every Video Game journalist on the planet. They look good, but don't forget that they're still tech demos and therefore they do not represent the final product.

In short it looks really nice, but don't expect MotoStorm (which actually has me quite excited) to look like that when it's released.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    Early tech demos are NEVER what the final product is meant to be, and thats the way it has always been, its not like Sony is the first one to do this. Hell, look at the early 360 stuff, XBox stuff, PS1 and 2, N64, DC and pretty much anything else.
    Agreed, that's how it is, was and will be. I'm glad these look much better then the Untold Legends shots, I'm just saying that that they're still tech demos so we still haven't seen what real gameplay for these gameswill look like.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully these aren't the actual screen shots. Like honestly after all the talk about how the graphics of the PS3 were going to be amazing these screen shots don't look that different from a Xbox game.

Hopefully these aren't the final products.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuck you Sony, those look amazing. More of my money gone.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Impressive. Some of these look awfully pre-rendered, but the ones that aren't are definitely up to par with the 360. It's really starting to look like the technical difference between these two systems are going to be incredibly negligible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're missing the point. I never said that Sony was doing this because they look bad [it's called sarcasm man], i merely stated the same thing as every Video Game journalist on the planet. They look good, but don't forget that they're still tech demos and therefore they do not represent the final product.
    You're missing my point: it's too late in the game for Sony to be releasing the sort of "renders" you mentioned for the PS2 (which I also believe showed up only long before the launch, and weren't shown again when media appeared forming reasonable expectations for first-gen games).

Again: the early bullshitty "tech demos" appeared long ago. These are moving into production. Obviously, the product will likely change quite a bit, but you can start to form a reasonable opinion - I'm going off the War Hawk shots, by the way, but the only one of this lot I'm having trouble believing is Ratchet. Next?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm....

I agree these are probably not representative od the final product, but I would ask everyone's opinion as to whether or not the PS3 or 360 for that matter may eventually be able to produce these sorts of games?

Is it just a learning curve for programmers?

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    I agree these are probably not representative od the final product, but I would ask everyone's opinion as to whether or not the PS3 or 360 for that matter may eventually be able to produce these sorts of games?
    What do you mean? The FPS doesn't look too surprising given the hardware (it's on a level with Half-Life 2), and War Hawk looks pretty pathetic, aside from the clouds. Ratchet's the one I have the most doubts about, but that's probably not too incredible either - think that the 360 can play Elder Scrolls III, which also has lots of detail onscreen all the time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Again: the early bullshitty "tech demos" appeared long ago. These are moving into production. Obviously, the product will likely change quite a bit, but you can start to form a reasonable opinion - I'm going off the War Hawk shots, by the way, but the only one of this lot I'm having trouble believing is Ratchet. Next?
    I understand what you're saying, and i don't think these are bull-shit renders, but with good dev kits only recently reaching developers (The Cell compiler was only ocmpleted very recently) these are still early dev shots and most, if not all, are from demos specifically created for the GDC event. They are much closer to the final product then what we saw at E3 or even TGS, but with the PS3 launch all the way off in October they still don't represent the final product.

Until we see something of actual gameplay, not something created for a show, I can't agree that these represent the final product.

But i think this dispute has gone on long enough and since neither of us are going to change our stance i say we end this like men and simply agree to disagree.

/me offers hand shake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fair 'nuff, but I'm betting that the final products will look either that good (on the FPS and War Hawk, maybe Ratchet), or actually better.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Fair 'nuff, but I'm betting that the final products will look either that good (on the FPS and War Hawk, maybe Ratchet), or actually better.
    They very well may.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    What do you mean? The FPS doesn't look too surprising given the hardware (it's on a level with Half-Life 2), and War Hawk looks pretty pathetic, aside from the clouds. Ratchet's the one I have the most doubts about, but that's probably not too incredible either - think that the 360 can play Elder Scrolls III, which also has lots of detail onscreen all the time.
    I'm thinking along the lines of the Motorstrom shots, or maybe the KillSwitch shots from E3 last year. Pipe Dreams or future gameplay on the PS3 and 360?

Later,
    Trebuken

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, that Xbox Live immitation with the picture of the little kid and the other kid looks quite gay, and quite cliche....

Hey, I rhymed!!!

Seriously though, if that is their so called "Xbox Live Killer", then Microsoft has nothing to worry about.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every time I see the demo screens for WarHawk, I think it looks like Cybermorph for the Jaguar -- the shape of the ship and the relatively sparse lands...

Having said that, I actually absolutely adore Cybermorph, and would probably find it to be a good thing if it did play like it
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333