Thread: I thought I'd be playing games like the GRAW intro....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I thought I'd be playing games like the GRAW intro....

For those of you that have GRAW for the 360, or have seen the little into that runs before the game starts.... Did any of you think that you would actually be controlling graphics like that in this new generation of consoles?

It's kinda sad, cause it appears that maybe it will be a whole nuther generation of consoles before we get to that level. I mean, sure there is still hope that the 360's power hasn't even been close to being tapped, and we haven't seen anything about what the PS3 and Revolution can accomplish, but still, I'm wondering if my expectations were a little too overboard.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY PLAY THAT INTRO.... IS IT POSSIBLE?

I know that the camera angles couldn't really be like that, cause you wouldn't be able to see what the hell is going on, but still, you know what I'm sayin....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dunno, but the fine line between the game and that intro is blurring far more this generation.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gameplay > Graphics.

You'll survive.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanhat
    Gameplay > Graphics.

You'll survive.
    Amen.

Actually, im pretty astonished that you are upset with GRAW's graphics. The game looks unreal. This and Oblivion are the two games that kind of sparked my interest in next gen again. Everything seemed a bit lackluster and dull before these two beauts came along.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the thing is, had I never seen that intro, and just played the GRAW game, I would probably be thinking that GRAW's graphics were pretty mind blowing as well, but after seeing that intro, and then playing the actual game, I can't help but feel a little let down. It's just that a year ago, when we were just hearing about these new systems, the thought was that they would be capable of some astonishing things, and I think back then people actually thought maybe the visuals would have been more like that intro.

Don't get it wrong, GRAW has great in game graphics, and this discussion really isn't about GRAW, but more so about expectations, and what I thought I was going to get with the new generation of gaming. I still think that Fight Night Round 3 is pretty freaking mind blowing, and I haven't had a chance to play Oblivion yet, and I know the 360 is going to be capable of some amazing things, but I'm not sure in the entire lifecycle of the 360 or the PS3 or the Revolution that we are going to be playing games that have the visuals of GRAW's intro in real time.

It's funny, cause with the PS2 and XBOX, it kinda seemed like the PS1's intro's were now playable, and with the release of the 360 and PS3, the PS2's intro's are now playable, and maybe with the release of the Xbox 3 and PS4, maybe we will actually be able to play games that have visuals like the GRAW intro. It's kinda like a glimpse into what we will be actually controlling in 2010.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    It's funny, cause with the PS2 and XBOX, it kinda seemed like the PS1's intro's were now playable, and with the release of the 360 and PS3, the PS2's intro's are now playable, and maybe with the release of the Xbox 3 and PS4, maybe we will actually be able to play games that have visuals like the GRAW intro. It's kinda like a glimpse into what we will be actually controlling in 2010.
    This is something I've noticed a lot as well. It provides for as good of a glimpse into the future as we're going to get. However, I'm not sure how accurate it'll be for the next set of consoles...this generation saw a jump in character polygons from around 500-1500 to upwards of 5,000-10,000 (I believe the cars in PGR3 are around 70K, but those don't have nearly as many moving parts as a person). Pre-rendered videos for some of the things we've seen have a much bigger jump than that. The FMV's in the Unreal3 engine have characters with poly counts in the millions. I hope it happens, but I wouldn't be stunned if it didn't, either.