Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default good ol EBgames.com days are gone

they no longer guarantee box and manual

bastards

- and i was putting off buying a bunch of games

now it will cost 25% more if you want to guarantee you will be getting a box and manual by going into an actual store AND dont forget gas

oh yea - no more old stuff either

man am i bummed - my cheap game source no longer exists
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Re: good ol EBgames.com days are gone

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    they no longer guarantee box and manual
    To the best of my knowledge, they never did. At least, the PSX games I got from them used didn't have anything other than the game disc.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

all current gen games they did -- the older stuff they didn't - which i didnt mind - especially if i was paying 1-2$ for a game
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    all current gen games they did -- the older stuff they didn't - which i didnt mind - especially if i was paying 1-2$ for a game
    Ah, I see. Well, you can thank GameStop for the change in policy.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gamestop/funcoland's policy on taking games regardless of box or manual... has help open the floodgates, to all douches, who for some RETARDED reason, choose to buy a game, and throw the box and manual away, or use it to do lines of coke, whatever.. DAMN THEM ALL... ok my rant is over.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it all started with Funcoland. And it's the stupidest policy ever. I actually took a bunch of games there with all the manuals to trade them in, and they said they didn't need all the manuals. So they are the stupidest of stupid. Even when the manual is available to them, they don't want it! Now why on earth would you ever refuse to accept the manual for a game? Shouldn't that increase its resale value? I made them take all the manuals anyway. Let them be the ones to just throw them away, if that's what they did with them, but I wasn't gonna throw them away myself.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Yeah, it all started with Funcoland. And it's the stupidest policy ever. I actually took a bunch of games there with all the manuals to trade them in, and they said they didn't need all the manuals. So they are the stupidest of stupid. Even when the manual is available to them, they don't want it! Now why on earth would you ever refuse to accept the manual for a game? Shouldn't that increase its resale value? I made them take all the manuals anyway. Let them be the ones to just throw them away, if that's what they did with them, but I wasn't gonna throw them away myself.
    That was all the individual store's decision. The store I worked at accepted all materials with games, and we never threw them away. The only thing I never understood is why they never gave less for incomplete titles.

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually 25% is gone too, no more stackable coupons. You either get 15% off or free shipping, and 15% will probably be gone soon too.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon

the other side of that, is that the company as a whole, had issues of space, which is what led to the stores not carrying anything before the ps1/n64. But that doesn't explain the need to disgard manuals, and cases.. either way it sucks...
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heres hopeing for a big loss in buisness so they revert back to the old way

-- yea right, that wont happen

i guess now ill have to look out for the buy 2/3 get one free sales -- what sucks about that is trying to find 3-4 games in the same price range to maximize the deal
    --Frank Herbert

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just noticed the changes too. It's just like Gamestop.com now.

If you're looking for an alternate. I can vouch for -

www.estarland.com

They usually ship the same day you order and you know what you're getting. Prices are comparable to EB as well, give or take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Yeah I peeped that a couple of days ago. When I went to the site I thought I was at Gamestops website.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today I was in EBGames and some guy came in and wanted to trade in just the UMD for a PSP game. Seriously. The trade-in price was $8, as opposed to $10 with the box/manual. How someone throws away or loses the manual, let alone box, for a PSP game is beyond me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

I believe that most games without boxes/manuals were liekly stolen somewhere along the line. Easier to sneak the disc out of the store with not magnetic strip to beep at you at the door...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thats what i belive -- but so far i have heared many times over and over that people like to use cd cases to keep the games in and they throw away the rest

i still think that 75% of them are stolen
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe they stopped selling older system games. At least the Gamestop.com store locator is now used here, that was one advantage of that site. I'll also miss the category-specific stuff for EB's site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i walked into an EB Games about a week or two ago. End of last year, I went to there, and they still had a bin of SNES/NES/Genesis games and had a small rack of DC games as well as a PS1 rack. Anyways, I go in there (3 months later), and they had NO games for classic systems...no DC and surprisingly, no PS1 games either!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, what's with you guys?

Can't you see that accepting the manual and box with a game takes up too much room for a game that will sell? I mean, why the fuck would I want to buy a game with the original box when I can grab a blue box off the shelf with it's name in marker for 2/3 of retail value? God! WTF, can't you see the master plan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Oh snap...

It looks like I'll have to deal with the a**holes at Game-X-Change just to get some SNES games
    x20

(BTW, After a incident concerning a Dreamcast system and a Sonic Advenure game disc I bought, I havn't been back)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, GameStop only purposely throws out boxes and manuals for cartridge-based games. Which means only N64 and GameBoy games now that NES, SNES and Gen are no longer part of the stock. This is at least true for the 3 GameStops I've been in (Medford, Saugus and Prudential Center - those are in MA for people in other states) I think it's a corporate policy - because in the 6 years I've been in retail (4 of which were at a now shut-down Toys R Us...no I'm not bitter) I've noticed that stores do really stupid things and when I question the managers, they say they have no choiec, they were told the HAD to do it and it's all due to really stupid policies thought up by the CEOs that run the company from big swanky offices but know nothing about the stores themselves. However, some managers in certain stores (probably ones with more storage) probably keep manuals and boxes for their carts when they do come in.
    If you think about it, look at how EB and GameStop display their GBA carts - in little display cases. There's hardly any room to put the manual in there too. EB could package the manual in the cardboard boxes they put the N64 games in and in that case could use the original boxes if they're turned in. GameStop just puts the loose carts on a rack (probably another stupid corporate idea). Theoretically, you could put all the manuals in an alphabetized box and just pull it when you sell the game, but that requires time and effort and storage that these small mall stores have. You don't realize it, but it takes quite some time to process and put away trade-ins in an average GameStop shift. I didn't believe it at first, but working there for the past 4 weeks is proof. Labelling, gutting, putting away the sleeves and then the box art plus having to take care of customers and keeping the salesfloor neat takes up a lot more time than you'd think for such a small store.
    The good thing is that GameStop Medford has at least 5 people on the staff that will salvage boxes and manuals, three of which are me, my boyfriend and his brother. In fact, I had perfect timing one day (long before I started working there) when I went to bother my boyfriend and I had came in only minutes after a GBA trade-in - all the games w/their manuals and boxes, and they hadn't tossed them yet. So I snagged a Metroid Fusion in its box w/its manual for the same price I'd have paid for a loose cart. When I worked there for a short time in 2002, I salvaged the manuals to Dragon Warrior and Zelda II for the NES out of the trash (and a Genesis console, but that's another story).
    But you box and manual lovers need not to fret knowing that in the city of Medford, Massachusetts, GBA and N64 boxes and manuals are being saved whenever possible thanks to the efforts of Wig, Gaz and Gahmstead (we got craaazy nicknames, eh?) I'll keep fighting the good fight for manuals everywhere
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random