Thread: Nintendo Revolution 728mhz

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Revolution 728mhz

from ign.com

Insiders stress that Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube, which is why studios who worked on GCN will have no problem making the transition to the new machine, they say. IBM’s “Broadway” CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube’s Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox’s CPU was clocked at 733MHz. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz.

Revolution’s ATI-provided “Hollywood” GPU clocks in at 243MHz. By comparison, GameCube’s GPU ran at 162MHz, while the GPU on the original Xbox was clocked at 233MHz. Sources we spoke with suggest that it is unlikely the GPU will feature any added shader features, as has been speculated.

“The ‘Hollywood’ is a large-scale integrated chip that includes the GPU, DSP, I/O bridge and 3MBs of texture memory,” a studio source told us.

The overall system memory numbers we reported last December have not greatly fluctuated, but new clarifications have surfaced. Revolution will operate using 24MBs of “main” 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of “external” 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. By comparison, GameCube featured 40MBs of RAM not counting the GPU’s on-board 3MBs. The original Xbox included 64MBs total RAM. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 operate on 512MBs of RAM.

It is not known if the 14MBs of extra D-RAM we reported on last December are in the current Revolution specifications.

Lots of numbers, but what do they all mean? The short answer is that Revolution is exactly as Nintendo has publicly stated: a console whose primary focus is not quadrupling raw horsepower, but rather a potentially gameplay-changing new controller. Nintendo’s new hardware supports this innovative new peripheral and not the other way around. Looking back, it makes sense.

Sources close to Nintendo have, however, told IGN Revolution that the company was experimenting with in-development GameCube controllers very similar to Revolution’s freestyle-style unit. The problem research and development faced at the time was that these controllers encountered unavoidable latency issues, which made them nearly incompatible with fast-paced software. Apparently the Big N overcame this particular hurdle.
    So now that the specs are know what do you guys think. This falls short next to the original xbox.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im fine with that. I look at it like this, if the gamecube could do RE 4, then all rev cames should be atleast that. Which is good enough for me.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    Im fine with that. I look at it like this, if the gamecube could do RE 4, then all rev cames should be atleast that. Which is good enough for me.
    i totally agree. i think that since the rev's going to be so similiar to the gamecube, developers will already be familiar with the technology, and will be able to produce games that look incredibly refined, and more importantly have incredibly tight gameplay as well.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prettier doesn't necessarily equal more fun. 360 games are gorgeous, certainly, but most folks that have played them just say they're prettier Xbox games.

Revolution will be something new and different, which is cool, and while not offering a massive leap in graphical power, it's still a good step beyond GameCube. That equals all good, in my book.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as general rule of computation in software and hardware development: You can minimize space for more speed or use more space to lose speed.

I hope that idea can somewhat pull you away from the frequency portion of hardware design. I'm not concerned with the frequency, but what it can actually compuate in those passes. The not so fast CPU isn't a bad idea if they can generate an efficient kernal/core for their system that can do the complex operations of todays games.

As for the space, if the hardware can handle high volumes of data for computation avoiding over-use of memory, they can sure do so to cut costs and give us lower prices.

Last, I'm sold on the inventive part of the system. Todays graphics are so high end that most basic games are just astonishing. If they created some more 2D Mario games they would be so amazing it would blow others away. If you want the most high tech gadget then do your thing and purchase a PS3 or Xbox360, but if you want some creative and different go Nintendo.

I don't hate Sony or Microsoft, it's just Nintendo has been doing a nice job all these years for me. I plan to get other systems down the road too, but the fight will be rough. It'll take the competition a fierce battle to win me over.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

sounds like the controller's going to make or break the machine.

it's a HUGE gamble, especially when people are underwhelmed by the lack of a visual upgrade that the new generation holds as it is... Will people really care about a new system that looks no different to the generation just gone?

I hope it works out for Nintendo, I wouldn't want the Revolution to be Nintendo's console curtain call.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt
    sounds like the controller's going to make or break the machine.

it's a HUGE gamble, especially when people are underwhelmed by the lack of a visual upgrade that the new generation holds as it is... Will people really care about a new system that looks no different to the generation just gone?

I hope it works out for Nintendo, I wouldn't want the Revolution to be Nintendo's console curtain call.
    Exactly, it's all about the gameplay. But more importanly these parts also mean the system will be cheap, probably very cheap and if it can pull off an outstanding experience with the new controller then it'll be a must buy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really seems as if nintendo is attempting to change the whole playfield, rather than try to keep up with the players on the current field. For this I applaud them. I love nintendo, and I hope this proves to be the most succesfull gaming system for them since the SNES. If there is any company out there that has the right to alter the gaming industry it is nintendo. The more I hear of the Revolution, the more I think this is going to be one hell of a run for em.
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hehe. I sincerely hope none of us care about these specs. Numbers always mean so little. Furthermore, we post on the Digital Press message boards--you know, the place where people still play Pong.

Godspeed and game on.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the numbers don't mean much, it's all about who's working with them, the xbox vid card is just a souped up geforce 3, but look at games like doom3, far cry and forza just amazing what they can do with smaller numbers. specialized set-in-stone hardware specs breed efficiency and innovation

with 5 years of gamecube developement under their belts who knows what the future holds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just give me more monkey ball dangit..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

couldn't care less.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Default Re: Nintendo Revolution 728mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    Insiders stress that Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube, which is why studios who worked on GCN will have no problem making the transition to the new machine, they say. IBM’s “Broadway” CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube’s Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox’s CPU was clocked at 733MHz. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz.
    As Tan said, you can't really compare. The Rev and the Xbox will be using entirely different CPUs so Mhz numbers don't mean squat. Only if you look at the actual performance stats. And from that, the Rev will be more powerful than the Xbox imo.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Re: Nintendo Revolution 728mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    As Tan said, you can't really compare. The Rev and the Xbox will be using entirely different CPUs so Mhz numbers don't mean squat. Only if you look at the actual performance stats. And from that, the Rev will be more powerful than the Xbox imo.
    Now why should we trust someone who travels the world molesting children when it comes to preformence?

Actually you've made a point that i had hoped would never need to be made again. Architectures make all the difference and IBM chips are vastly different then Intel chips. Not as much as Steve Jobs use to claim, but it can be a noticable difference.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question on that article. Later on, it says this:

Whether or not Revolution is, in fact, a vehicle for the new freestyle controller or not, systems specs rarely tell the whole story. We would remind readers that during an era when polygon numbers meant everything, GameCube's polygon peaks were lower than PlayStation 2 and Xbox. However, few would disagree with the assertion that Resident Evil 4 - a title developed from the ground-up for Nintendo's system -- was one of the prettiest games of the generation.
    Is that true? I always was told in terms of power/polygons that it went Xbox>Cube>PS2. They seem to be putting the cube at the bottom of the rankings...

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

In terms of sheer physical peak (as in the top number possible) the PS2 was actually higher than the Cube. But in real terms of performance and sustainability, the Cube beat the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I felt that you don’t really need to get any better than the xbox in terms of graphics

as much as I don’t like nintendo the company i think they had the right idea when coming up with the specifications for their new system

to me it totally looks like they will be making money on hardware sales AND i think games on hardware close to xbox specs can look just as pretty as what will be seen on the 360 and ps3 - some games on the xbox look amazing and comparable to what I have seen on the 360 so far. Im sure this system won’t have much of a problem competing on the "looks" front (with many games). So I agree with what some one said before that it looks like the controller will make or break the system.

Also - im positive that the company is not going to over look the need for a back up plan if the controller will end up being hated. I also wont be surprised to see an "alternative" (more common) style controller for sale.

Originaly i thought nintendo is not going to do to well with this system - now im begining to think otherwise
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't care less about hardware specs. I'm just more interested in the software. I think the Big-N is making a good decision. Keep the price low, release excellent software, and you will make a mint. It's worked wonder for the DS. Here's hoping they actually do release excellent software

*crosses fingers for a good rev launch*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there's been rumours that Wavebirds will work from the getgo and that they'd be released for the Revo.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I don't really care about the graphics of it unless they look *way* behind the PS3/360 stuff. Then it becomes hard to shell out money for something new that doesn't look it (for Gamecube quality graphics it'll be cheaper for me to continue buying old GC games after all).

What I care about is what the system can *do* - if a PS3/360 is able to pull off types of games that aren't possible on the Rev because of the hardware (because, say, it requires 1000s and 1000s of AI controlled beings, and the Rev can't handle the math involved) then the Rev is less appealing to me.

In the end, though, this pre-console hype with all the specs and marketing means nothing to me when it comes to buy my first next gen console. Games and price, which I don't *see* until it launches, are what I care about most. Specs mean squat.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end