Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Revolution 728mhz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    There's even the possibility of online distribution for games to make the platform even more attractive to those tiny developers.
    Hey yeah downloadable games would be awesome (non emulation ones at least)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    I thought I'd read that the Revolution would be compatible with external USB hard drives, which should be good enough.
    Yeah - there was a story on CNN recently about the lower prices of Revolution games and it did have a direct quote from someone at Nintendo that for storage they would be supporting the USB port for additional storage like harddrives.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys realize that IGN article is almost a year old and that they've just been updating the date on it to pass it off a "new" material right? It's pretty much all speculation. The ever-retarded Slashdot picked it up as a "new" article a couple of days ago so everyone thinks it's current again.

What is new is what Sweater Fish Deluxe mentioned, you should be able to hook up just about any USB storage device to the Revolution.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Nintendo Revolution 728mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    So now that the specs are know what do you guys think. This falls short next to the original xbox.
    XBOX has a CISC CPU. Nintendo consoles have been RISC in the past. There's a good chance the Revolution will be RISC, too. There's a difference between the two. Even though the GCN is mhz-wise less than the XBOX, both systems get about the same amount of work done thanks to Nintendo's RISC processor.

If the Revolution's CPU is indeed RISC, then it's probably going to end up more powerful than the XBOX in that department.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster
    A part of me quesitons that, if the Rev is only a minor techological increase, couldn't they just attempt this new controller on the GCN? Why go to the expense of creating a new console, when they could mroe cheaply revitalise an existing one.
    Because it would become just another periphrial that a handfull of games support, and then no one uses it again because not a large enough user base bought it in the first place. To truely make something like this work you HAVE to package it with the system ensuring that every single one of your customers already owns it. Otherwise you're looking at another Eye Toy.
    Actually, I thought Mega CD or 32X was a closer analogy. :P

As I said, just a thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that Nintendo is taking this round differently. If you compare the 360 and PS3 to the muscle cars of yesteryear, they are horribly powerful and can drive well in a straight line. The Revo will be less raw HP, more handling, breaks and suspension.

I know this analogy isn’t perfect but you get the point. It takes a MASSIVE amount of processing power to do full time HD video, this is something the Revo will not even have to worry about. The same goes with some of the features tied into a 360 or (possibly) the PS3. The Revo should be less bogged down without the 300 different multimedia functions MS and Sony are dumping in their systems.

It just seems that Nintendo is taking the “If I can’t win at their game, I’ll create my own” approach. Instead of taking MS and Sony head on, they are just doing their own thing.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Nintendo Revolution 728mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Chuplayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    So now that the specs are know what do you guys think. This falls short next to the original xbox.
    XBOX has a CISC CPU. Nintendo consoles have been RISC in the past. There's a good chance the Revolution will be RISC, too. There's a difference between the two. Even though the GCN is mhz-wise less than the XBOX, both systems get about the same amount of work done thanks to Nintendo's RISC processor.

If the Revolution's CPU is indeed RISC, then it's probably going to end up more powerful than the XBOX in that department.
    You hit it right on the head. The Revolution chipset is supposedly based on the exact same architecture as the Cube, but faster, so I think RISC is to be expected.

One of the advantages, as IGN has actually pointed out, is imagine the next gen of consoles if there was absolutely no learning curve for developers. That's what Nintendo is doing. They are saying "here is hardware you already know, but better" so that developers can worry less about programming and more on the games. It actually sounds like a pretty solid strategy to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is what kills me. Is there a double standard for Nintendo. When the dreamcast was released the powers that be put down the system because of its so called lack of power. This I believe greatly influenced the masses and lead to an early dreamcast death. Why should the Nintendo be any different.

I want nintendo to do well. They been hyping quaility vs quantity ever since the 64. They lost both times. I just feel a disconnect between nintendo and the public.

They got the handheld market lock down. But as far as systems go I am starting to get that 3 strikes and your out feel.

On a deeper note. The loyal fan base that nintendo had is just about all grown up. I sense they had there fill of mario and such. The newer generation I am not getting the nintendo vibe from. If I was a nintendo veep I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't know about you but the last must have gamecube for me was metriod prime echoes 2.
    That was over a year ago.

On a deeper deeper note I have 100plus n64 games yet the system rarely played the least out of all the systems I have. Was the n64 era not that memorable?

Sorry but when I saw the revolution specs I started wondering how the mighty have fallen because I remember when nintendo could do no wrong.
    neo geo system

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    This is what kills me. Is there a double standard for Nintendo. When the dreamcast was released the powers that be put down the system because of its so called lack of power. This I believe greatly influenced the masses and lead to an early dreamcast death. Why should the Nintendo be any different.
    Indeed, in my mind at least, the Dreamcast in some ways was more powerful than the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Indeed, in my mind at least, the Dreamcast in some ways was more powerful than the PS2.
    I used to believe that or more to the point I WANTED to believe that.

but no matter how much I luved my DC after playing the Metal Gear Solids, Silent Hills, Tekken 5, Gran Turismo 4 even the PS2 version of RE4 etc I am 95% certain that the Dreamcast could not have produced those graphics up to that level.

Even if the DC had reached a 4th or 5th gen game cycle or even if powerhouse developers like Konami,Capcom or Namco had 4-6 years with the DCs dev kits to "mature" with them or whatever.

Thats the interesting thing about Sonys consoles especially the PS2 emotion engine/chip or whatever and now the upcoming PS3 with its CELL processor in that since the processors are more "custom made" or custom talored to that specific console than what are featured in Microsofts consoles it is near impossible to compare the spec sheets and say that well THIS game will look better on THIS system cause there are a couple more Rams here or Megs there or whatever.

The last time specs meant ANYTHING -if they ever truly did- was in the 16-bit generation. IMO the Supernes did show off many more colors when compared to the Genny and the mode-7 stuff was amazing back in the day when the Genesis couldnt do that stuff not to mention the incredible sound chip that Sony made for the Snes that simply blew away the Genesis pitiful sound chip by comparison. No offense Genesis fans

To say that the Revolutions graphics or games will suck or be weak because it will "only" be twice as powerful as the Gamecube IS something that only a Nintendo hater or what I like to call "youngling" would be privy too say.
    As stated by
    Rev. Link most of those are the ones that started out on Playstation One and think they are "hardcore" or a retro gamer when they get on a board and post FF7 RULXXEXOOXER or what the hell ever when they havent even played the damn game but that is an arguement for a different post.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am just going to wait to see what happens at this years E3 and take it from there. I still feel that Nintendo will always play a factor in the market. Hell, there are plenty of parents that don't like Playstation and MS enough to just buy Nintendo products. With that in mind, Nintendo will always be a contender.

I applaud them for trying something so radical as their new controller. I hope they succeed!

SNKFan75

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    I used to believe that or more to the point I WANTED to believe that.

but no matter how much I luved my DC after playing the Metal Gear Solids, Silent Hills, Tekken 5, Gran Turismo 4 even the PS2 version of RE4 etc I am 95% certain that the Dreamcast could not have produced those graphics up to that level.

Even if the DC had reached a 4th or 5th gen game cycle or even if powerhouse developers like Konami,Capcom or Namco had 4-6 years with the DCs dev kits to "mature" with them or whatever.

Thats the interesting thing about Sonys consoles especially the PS2 emotion engine/chip or whatever and now the upcoming PS3 with its CELL processor in that since the processors are more "custom made" or custom talored to that specific console than what are featured in Microsofts consoles it is near impossible to compare the spec sheets and say that well THIS game will look better on THIS system cause there are a couple more Rams here or Megs there or whatever.

The last time specs meant ANYTHING -if they ever truly did- was in the 16-bit generation. IMO the Supernes did show off many more colors when compared to the Genny and the mode-7 stuff was amazing back in the day when the Genesis couldnt do that stuff not to mention the incredible sound chip that Sony made for the Snes that simply blew away the Genesis pitiful sound chip by comparison. No offense Genesis fans

To say that the Revolutions graphics or games will suck or be weak because it will "only" be twice as powerful as the Gamecube IS something that only a Nintendo hater or what I like to call "youngling" would be privy too say.
    As stated by
    Rev. Link most of those are the ones that started out on Playstation One and think they are "hardcore" or a retro gamer when they get on a board and post FF7 RULXXEXOOXER or what the hell ever when they havent even played the damn game but that is an arguement for a different post.
    I found it starnge that you brought up the SNES vs. Genny debate here, again, those two systems were very very different. The SNES was saddled with a slower chipcouldn't handle the "faster" games ie, the sports games. True, they got around that in the end, but so did developers with the weak Colour Palette. The N64 didn't have a dedicated sound chip. The Saturn could use the sound chip as a graphics chip ( I think Shining Force III was the only game to use it.) The Dreamcast didn't render polygons that you couldn't see (something most systems do) and ran in VGA mode as well. All I'm trying to say is that every system has it's quirks, and that in the end, the playing field gets leveled out by good developers. Could the DC handle the games we see at the end of this Generation the way we see them? Probably not, but it could handle versions of them, much like the XBOX can handle versions of 360 Games. I think chips with fancy names have ZERO to do with it. I think the very fact that nintendo cut out the HD aspect will allow graphics of comparable quality in terms of polys, and effects, just a lower res, which by they isn't as big a deal as people on this board seem to think it is, most people I talk to are still using a standard tv, most with RCA cords, a few with s video and a couple with composite, I'd say in my area less than 1 in 10 have a high def T.V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

That is an old mhz and therefore this belongs in the classic forum.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    That is an old mhz and therefore this belongs in the classic forum.
    I agree.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe we're still talking about this.

I think we're missing the point, here. The Revolution will be twice as powerful - in terms of raw specs - as the GameCube. That's a pretty decent jump, really. I mean, sure, it's not a quantum leap like Sony and Microsoft have made with their new systems, but it's still a good jump. Twice as powerful. Think about that. It's not like they're just repackaging GC with the motion sensor controller. Anyone who thinks that's what the Rev will be is in complete denial. This machine will be twice as powerful as its predecessor! Think on RE4, then think about how beautiful a game could look on hardware twice the strength of what RE4 was designed for. Rev games are going to look good. Not only good, but better than anything on GC, PS2, and likely Xbox.

You're completely right to think that 360 and PS3 are going to blow Rev away in terms of graphics, but remember that graphics are not the point of the Rev. New ways of playing are.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo are doing their own thing, on their own terms. I have a lot of respect for that. This move takes a lot of guts.

I'm not going to worry about the specs, for me it's all about the games. This new controller is the selling point, at least for me. If I want cutting edge graphics, I'll pick up the X360 & PS3 (which I also intend to do).

Nintendo have said this will be a cheaper console, both hardware and software wise for the consumer. That sounds good to me, count me in for a launch pick up.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I, for one, think Nintendo is looking towards the future. They are trying to reestablish control over the industry slowly. Not by leaps and bounds, but slowly. Because of the success of the Playstation and X Box brand, Microsoft and Sony have been propelled into a position where they can more or less dictate what the reality of the Console buisness is, Graphically, Power wise, ect. Nintendo is just changing the rules, for now. I think they are more or less trying to gain a foothold on everything by making their product a lot cheaper, and more accesible to a wider variety of consumers. This is only the beginning. I believe that is what Myamoto meant when he mentioned how the future of Gaming may not even be on a T.V screen. I think in the coming years, we will see Nintendo make even bolder moves to alter the face of the console buisness, and ultimately reach the top once again. They have always been inovaters, and they recognize that in order to stay competetive, they must continue to innovate rather than make their next product shinier, prettier, and more powerfull. Games must be fun, and they are trying to make them fun again. (just my two cents)
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why doesn't Nintendo just start selling this as an addon for the SNES, their last popular system? Might as well own up to the fact that they're fleecing us

I think the performance will be good for the price (it should match or slightly outperform the original Xbox, which still is a decent looking system, shame the GPU isn't more updated - this reminds me of the dropped NES compatibility which ended up being a liability for the SNES), but there's a chance this will get trounced by the press and in popular opinion as not looking good enough, and of course that'll instantly equate it with a "kids system," not for serious gamers. I hope not, but let's see. I think it's safe to say that some people will have that opinion (but they'll already feel that way if they know about this).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neo-zen
    i have a feeling the war is going to be between the 360 and the revo this time around.
    i think the ps3 will be 3rd.
    im at a loss for who will be number one though...

I disagree I think it's gonna be between the 360 and ps3 because 360 is now doing decent now and will only get better,

the ps3 is going to be great IMO

the revolution is not going to even be competing with either of them, but I don't hink that's the purpose of the revolution it's more of a step forward for nintendo. I also think that most gamers will also have a revolution

but we will see.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

With the price point Nintendo has hinted at for the Rev I can't see a reason for anyone who plays games not to have one. Espically with there back cataloge ready for download whenever you want it.

Unless of course your a specs whore. then of course begs the question of why the hell are you console gaming to begin with.