Thread: Harvest Moon: Magical Melody 8.2 IGN

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Harvest Moon: Magical Melody 8.2 IGN

I've been a fan of the Harvest Moon games ever since the time of the Super Nintendo. I loved the N64 version and the older Gameboy versions, but the GBA and GameCube versions suck.

From IGN

Don't think for a second we're done yet. Aside from taking care of your farm (no matter what strategy you use), that's only the beginning. There are a ton of aspects to Harvest Moon, both new and old, that make Magical Melody both amazingly deep, and simple enough to be fun. Players can raise a variety of animals, farm over 25 different kinds of crops and fish to bring in money. Aside from the basics, however, items can be leveled up (much like the N64 and previous versions) as the quest continues. Also included is the ability to cook your own food, whether it is over a campfire in the hills, or in a stove at your kitchen. While not every aspect of the game is new, they all help in creating a great environment.

While we can say with confidence that Magical Melody is by far the better GameCube adventure, it isn't without its faults. For starters, the game is graphically weak in comparison to most any Cube title in the last year. While it still remains true to the original style, the game is technically weaker and doesn't hold up too well visually. There wasn't much attention put into effects animations, and the game does nothing to go above and beyond. In fact, during the majority of festivals and holidays, computer controlled characters won't join in the festivities. Instead, characters are often standing still, or committing to one normal motion at a time, such as feeding chickens or milking a cow. It's true that the main appeal of the game can be done on any system, and that gameplay rules over the graphical presentation but the fact remains that Magical Melody looks dated. In fact, while the style has stayed quite true to the original versions, it is starting to creep into the Animal Crossing world a bit. Animations and characters look a little too similar, and first-time fans might see this as a downfall in the game, though the two styles are truly very similar in nature.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was there any point in posting this topic trolling about the GBA/GCN versions?

FYI, 8.2 is a decent score. The game was mostly taken down a few notches because of its graphics. As someone who visits a website about classic gaming, you should know more than anyone that it's not graphics that make a game, but the actual gameplay.

Magical Melody is actually a lot like Harvest Moon 64.

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is friggin' sweet people. it's like a harvest moon game running on an incredibly beefed-up animal crossing engine.

for anyone who loved the atmosphere and concept of animal crossing, but lamented the fact that there really wasn't anything to do and no point- your ship has come in.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From what I understand, people are saying that this is the best Harvest Moon game ever. I am quite excited for this one.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Default Re: Harvest Moon: Magical Melody 8.2 IGN

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    I've been a fan of the Harvest Moon games ever since the time of the Super Nintendo. I loved the N64 version and the older Gameboy versions, but the GBA and GameCube versions suck.
    Other than summer stock, do you do anything but bitch?
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Harvest Moon: Magical Melody 8.2 IGN

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    Other than summer stock, do you do anything but bitch?
    No.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Fair enough!

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Harvest Moon, but I never got very far in many of them because I kept throwing valuable stuff on the ground (I'm so dumb ><) but this one makes it nearly impossible to do that, so by first Fall I had 3 properties, lvl 3 house, married, large barn, and awoken the Goddess *hooray*

Although I think the main reason I like this game right now is because at least somewhere I can (everyday) cook dinner, hang out with my friends/give them thoughtful presents, do all my chores,and have a clean house. It doesn't hurt that whenever I say anything to my husband he responds with "I promise to do whatever I can so you're smile never fades even for an instant!" (Now if he would get out of the house and earn some money once in a while.. game would=perfect)
    <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/Lexicon810.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Lexicon810</iframe>