Thread: what do you think the Rev lauch will be like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default what do you think the Rev lauch will be like?

I've never bought a nintendo system at launch. I've always gotten them about a year out (not sure why - it just worked out that way). I want to get the Rev at launch.

I was reading an older thread (pre-christmas) about the horrors of the xbox360 launch, which has me concerned.

What do you expect the Rev launch to be like? Is it worth pre-ordering one?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It will be like every console launch. A small number of systems will have issues that will be blown way out of proportion, there will be two great must-own games for it. The following March there will be a massive stream of high quality games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default revolution

the revolution might be the downfall of nintendo is what i think it will be like. yes there are those die hard gamers out there that want to stick with nes but why?

for zelda?
    for metroid?
    for one more stupid mario game?

how many times can you remake a classic and hope it sells?

nintendo is doing awesome with their handhelds and i think they should just stick to it.

we are not tyring to be innovators
    n intendo stated in some post releases...what are they doing then. the controller will be inovative in it self

thanks
    "The kid who dies with the most toys wins!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: revolution

Quote Originally Posted by neonesmaster
    I agree that Nintendo remakes their classics too often.

Provided Nintendo adopts their DS strategy to the Rev, it should make for an amazing system. If they just rely on the classics, they'll be screwed

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, the classics are why they can afford to innovate in the first place. When you have logistical things like Classic NES Metroid outselling Metroid: Zero Mission even at the point where they were the same price with Zero Mission containing the entire original Metroid on it, you realize there's still a market for the classics anyway.

Not even remakes, I mean Super Mario 3 GBA as an example, I sell like four of those A DAY. For the past year. Non-stop. People come in and see the price and remark that it's too expensive, then come back an hour later and buy it anyway, even just the bare cartridge. There's still a huge demand among the general consumers for the Super Mario Advance series re-releases in general, and the Classic NES series sold great. All the stores here get replenished on whatever ported classics are still in print like three times a week.

So now the Revolution will have both the innovative controller, and it will also have the classic games except you don't have to hunt them down in the used bin at Gamestop thanks to the short shelf life of new GBA games.

People mistake Nintendo constantly re-releasing the classic games as a focus on them; it's a license to print money, it must cost next to nothing to manufacture them and everyone still wants them. They'd be stupid not to. There's no "hope it sells" mindset, there's a "we feel like making MORE money this quarter, let's do some GBA greatest hits again" mindset.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it will probably be pretty typical.

Obviously, we'll have Super Smash Bros, as they've basically already said that's their big push. We'll have Zelda for the Cube, and probably two other major 1st party titles.

Also, I'd expect the usual suspects - Madden/Tony Hawk/Need for Speed/etc. to hit at or right after launch. Of course, we'll also have whatever games the virtual console provides at that point to play as well.

I think the price point will be either $150 or $200 and will be the basics, system, one controller and probably a few free downloads on the virtual console system (or VCS for short ). I personally hope to preorder one as well (my first system preorder ever). I don't think they will be as hard to find as the 360 was, since given they aren't the newest chips/parts Nintendo probably can have a good amount ready for launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    People mistake Nintendo constantly re-releasing the classic games as a focus on them; it's a license to print money, it must cost next to nothing to manufacture them and everyone still wants them. They'd be stupid not to. There's no "hope it sells" mindset, there's a "we feel like making MORE money this quarter, let's do some GBA greatest hits again" mindset.
    I know they make money from doing it - damn good money in fact. The problem is that I feel ripped off as a consumer. For instance, why did they have to package all their NES classics on individual carts? Instead of loads of budget carts, why not one full price cart for all of em. I gladly would have purchase it.

Well, we know its because they can make more money from collectors by releasing them seperately. But people, like me, get sour at it. I'm usually really supportive of Nintendo, but with all the re-releases, I just start to feel that (1) they're ripping us off, and (2) they're spinning their wheels.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the DS. I mean, we're FINALLY seeing a new mario platformer. And that's the way you do it. You said that Nintendo re-releases their old games as new because they know that they'll sell well. Well instead of abusing their good will, apply it to new games, like they are with the new mario bros. A new mario bros. game will sell damn well, and you won't piss people off.

Quote Originally Posted by n8littlefield
    I personally hope to preorder one as well (my first system preorder ever).
    It'll be my first pre-order too that's why I'm afraid of getting the shaft. I remember looking at games in EB and hearing people complaining that they pre-orderd the 360 for launch and it's been X weeks and they still haven't heard anything. I'd get damn pissy at that.

I wonder if they'll be any free give-aways for pre-orders?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: revolution

Quote Originally Posted by neonesmaster
    the revolution might be the downfall of nintendo is what i think it will be like. yes there are those die hard gamers out there that want to stick with nes but why?

for zelda?
    for metroid?
    for one more stupid mario game?

nintendo is doing awesome with their handhelds and i think they should just stick to it.

we are not tyring to be innovators
    n intendo stated in some post releases...what are they doing then. the controller will be inovative in it self

thanks
    I am hoping it will come bundled with a piece of software, that teaches the gamer proper grammar and English. I suggest you pre-order it.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The new Mario title for the Rev Launch will be a Smash Bros. game...not Mario 128. Not a very daring prediction, but a likely one.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it will be the launch with the real game players. The ones that realize that the REVO is next gen. HD, Graphics=Not next gen - Innovation=Next Gen

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully the launch will be a good one. I assume there will be the typical five to ten games available. My hopes are they have the online network setup so we can begin downloading older games right away!

My other hope is the price will be low, say $100-$150.

SNKFan75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Itll b easy like sunday Moooorning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tip: Even if you aren't 100% sure you'll get one day one, pre-order it as soon as possible. Pre-order it at a store that will let you get your money back if you decide not to get it. (Or better yet, scalp your pre-order ticket to someone unfortunate enough to have pre-ordered and make a few bucks extra like I did when the PS2 came out.)

At least then you'd have your ticket if you decide to get it and can avoid the after-launch rush with all the people who didn't think to pre-order.

I for one will be getting one launch day. And as long as my store (Who doesn't do pre-orders anyway) doesn't do what they did with the 360 (Which was a first. We never did it before. Opened the store at 6AM to let the crowd of people waiting in the cold in to buy it.) I'll be getting one.

Hopefully by then this time I'll be in the department and can put one aside for myself. I honestly don't see a big demand of 360 proportions so I doubt they will be doing the "Open early" thing. (Kmart) So I'm pretty safe.

But I'll decide as time goes on. If I have even a slight feeling our store will be doing this, I will run to GameStop and buy a ticket. Even if it means forgetting my 10% discount just to get it. But I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get it.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depending on the demographics of where you live, I don't see a reason to pre-order it. If you're a regular at your local game shop, just simply mention to them that you want one. (assuming that you ARE on a first name basis at your local shop, and if not, why aren't you? ) It's Nintendo, it's weird, and most people who would normally jump on a system at launch are going to shy away from this one and wait and see if it's a piece of "kiddie" shit or not. In the average self-proclaimed "hardcore's" eyes, Nintendo has released two shitty systems back to back. Why would they buy a Revolution? It isn't a P S 3.

If it retails for a low price, then your average Walmart shopper WILL scoop it up.....not because it's good or bad....but because it's new and cheap.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will be my first preorder, too.

I think the launch will be similar to the DS launch: 1 good first-party title and some average 3rd party games and then you'll have to wait some months for a good game.

But that doesn't matter, I will be busy with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker (which I have saved for the revolution release, I do not think it's worth getting a gamecube for just one game)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I’m not expecting a cluster-fuck like the 360 launch or even the PS3 launch. The Game Cube trickled out and although there were fans, none were selling for $1000 on eBay. The last BIG Nintendo launch I got into was the N64, it was hard to find and lucky for me K-Mark broke the street date and I got one a few days early. The SNES launch was a piece of cake, I remember Wal Mart having stacks of them.

After the waste of time that was the PS2 launch (no good games for months) I decided to stay far away from launches. I will pick one up some 6 months after launch.

One last thing, I think the success of the Revolution is directly linked to the quality and quantity of their retro download service. If it is affordable and has tons of games, the Revo will do very well. If not…the Revo will fizzle out.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as the downloadable games go, I don't care how official or not it is, if there's a way to download Japanese games as well as US ones that are from old Nintendo systems, Sega published Genesis games, and Hudson's TG-16/SuperCD stuff then I won't even need to buy a Revolution game at any point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    Depending on the demographics of where you live, I don't see a reason to pre-order it. If you're a regular at your local game shop, just simply mention to them that you want one. (assuming that you ARE on a first name basis at your local shop, and if not, why aren't you? ) It's Nintendo, it's weird, and most people who would normally jump on a system at launch are going to shy away from this one and wait and see if it's a piece of "kiddie" shit or not. In the average self-proclaimed "hardcore's" eyes, Nintendo has released two shitty systems back to back. Why would they buy a Revolution? It isn't a P S 3.

If it retails for a low price, then your average Walmart shopper WILL scoop it up.....not because it's good or bad....but because it's new and cheap.
    Hmm.. I seem to remember the DS launch being just the opposite as that. It was definately a new thing and people bought them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is my first pre-order, so I'm going to ask anyone else that's pre-ordered...

Is EB a good place to pre-order? Or do they usually screw around with people?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My rule of thumb….

NEVER PREORDER A CONSOLE FROM A CHAIN STORE!!!!!!!!

I have had nothing but problems pre ordering consoles from places like EB, Game Stop, etc. They are often liars and pre book 300 consoles when they’re getting 18. I know this is not a good idea for systems like the 360 and PS3 but for the Revo, I don’t think simply going to a midnight release or waiting outside a K-Mart at 6AM is a bad idea.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!