Thread: Atari 2600 Pooh game

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 2600 Pooh game

Is this for real of a joke? Childish if the least.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course it's real; DDCecil made it awhile back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely real. The guy sold a bunch on AtariAge. Seems interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    $67 for a Kaboom hack?

Whatever...
    Exactly!! It is crazy, and that is exactly the reason Poo! was made in the first place. Here is the full explanation behind Poo!

First of all, I have been doing Atari 2600 Hacks for a little over 3 years now. Some of you may remember this one:

2003 Digital Press Holiday Cartridge

Ever since this first release I have pretty much sold these carts at cost(sometimes even below). I think it is great that anybody would even be interested in them. Over the last few years I have released almost 20 diiferent carts. A few have been super popular and sold out in a few hours. I usually do a run of 20-30 carts depending on how popular I think it may be. I have never re-released any of them after that ininitial offering. I don't limit them to make them rare. The limit is there so I don't have to deal with sending out carts everyday. I love having the carts made but I hate dealing with the Post Office.

Over the last year there have been a few new people pop up in the Atari hacking forums at Atariage that seem to only see $$$. They make the most basic changes to a game, have a few carts made and then sell them for some insane price. The following game was offered at $100 a copy for a cartridge and manual because it was a limited signed edition.

Cyplix Limited Edition

And believe it or not they were all actually sold. x_x
    A month or so after this initial signed edition were sold another version was offered for $50 a cartridge. You can follow that thread here:
    http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...ic=82191&st=25

The price of the cartridge was explained because of all of the (extensive) changes and time it took to make the hack. And did you notice the watermark on the label? Here is a quote from the (hacker) .

"I have changed the original Rom enough as it has become my own work in a lot of ways. I don't mind people playing the ROM on an emulator, but to go ahead and make pirate carts from it just isn't cool."

Anyway, To prove that it wasn't a time consuming extensive hack I decided to make a parody hack of Cyplic called S.I.PLIX. My hack was completed in 15 minutes from idea to completion. And here is S.I.PLIX:

S.I.PLIX

I think that I proved my point.

And you would think that that would be an end, but it wasn't. The special edition and overpriced hacks keep coming. Then Poo! was created as a joke/test which a lot of people get and even more miss the point entirely.

Follow the original thread here:
    http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...c=83327&hl=poo

Poo! has a backstory written by Atariager that may explain Poo!:

Well, it seems that our Atari Homebrew/Hack cartridge scene is under attack once again! For years and years the Homebrewers and Hackers have worked diligently to give our community endless fun, through their creativity.

“But”…every now and then, some lost soul shows up too…POO…on the community!!!

That is where you come in. You must find a way to clean this mess up for all of us! The Homebrew/Hack team has created a way for you to combat this public indecency. The “Tidy Bots”, are your POO champions!

Use them wisely and cautiously! For if any of this POO is allowed to smudge our community, the results could be disastrous. If you think you have what it takes…then the game of POO is for YOO!!!

Like I said Poo! was a test to see how people who react to buying crap. ell, they bought it. I guess Everybody really does like Poo!

All my future releases will be back to normal cost pricing. But there is a 5200 version of Poo! that may see the light of day. This is an extremely brief version of the events that led up to Poo! You can always visit Atariage to follow all of the original threads. Just look thru the market place and hack forums. I will answer any questions if anyone has any.
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neotokeo2001
    To prove that it wasn't a time consuming extensive hack I decided to make a parody hack of Cyplic called S.I.PLIX. My hack was completed in 15 minutes from idea to completion.

That's hilarious. Nice work and an interesting story.
    ________
    Anal Webcam
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And just to illustrate my viewpoint. AtariAge will soon be releasing Wolfenstein:The Next Mission.

Return to the halls of dreaded WOLFENSTEIN. All new enemies, rooms and floorplans await you in this upgraded version of the original Wolfenstein VCS. Badder, Brighter and more Deadly!! Do you dare brave the depths of Wolfenstein:The Next Mission?

This game runs off of a HIGHLY MODIFIED (and yes, it took more then 15 minutes ) Venture Engine. All of the Label and Manual artwork is original to this game. Four people have made hugh contributions to this game and no one will recieve (or wanted) any type of payment or royalty when copies are sold. That is the true spirit of the Atari and Classic Gaming Community. Those who are in it for a quick buck will lead to the end of what little freedom(gray areas) are left to release games of this type. It's nice to see people who are still in it to have FUN. Look for the release soon at AtariAge.
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions