Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default GBA accessory help/rant.

Rant:
    So yesterday I went to Gamestop to buy some GBA game boxes to keep my carts in. You know, really small ones so they won't get dirty and stuff. Well, I bought a package of 8 for $5, and they also included headphones, but I tried to plug them into my SP, and they wouldn't fit.

The brand? Mad Catz.

How can they get away with making such shoddy hardware? I still have the headphones here on my desk, but I'm thinking of trashing them. It makes no sense. I only bought them because they were practically free! And I don't think Gamestop will refund my money. GAH...

Accessory help:
    I need to find two things. First, some working headphones. :P I don't know anything about them, nor which ones are the good brands.

The other thing... you know how there's battery packs for the PSP which attach to the back of the system and extend play time for a few more hours? I was wondering if there was something like that for the GBA SP. I've seen places sell 10 hour batteries for the SP, but I'm NOT cracking up my system and possibly void the warranty, you know?

So, uh, thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this might seem like a "duh" question but it might clear something up.

Are these the standard headphones that you received? The regular GBA (and DS for that matter) has an ordinary jack that will take any standard headphones. The SP needs a special adapter. If it has the special adapter built into it, then that is pretty crappy.

On another note I had purchased a GBA to GC adapter (Madcatz or interact or something like that). Doesn't work well with the SP - interferes with using the shoulder button. I've been considering cutting off the ends. I'm thinking they made that before they knew about the SP.

If you want to use nice headphones on the GBA, why not just buy a headphone adapter. Then you can just plug in your regular headphones from CD player/ipod, etc.

I dunno about 3rd party batteries w/ supposedly longer life. You never really seem to get as much as they claim. How long is your warranty anyway, probably already over. It isn't a very complicated switch if you have a tri-wing screwdriver. If you turn off the back light when playing in well lit areas, and keep the sound at a lower volume (especially in areas where its too loud to hear anyway) you'll get longer battery life. Car chargers are another possibilty. I think USB chargers are available too.
    Always looking for more SMS. And Resident Evil too.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Actually, it's just a standard Phillips head screw on the SP and DS battery doors.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by sleepycal
    I know this might seem like a "duh" question but it might clear something up.

Are these the standard headphones that you received? The regular GBA (and DS for that matter) has an ordinary jack that will take any standard headphones. The SP needs a special adapter. If it has the special adapter built into it, then that is pretty crappy.

On another note I had purchased a GBA to GC adapter (Madcatz or interact or something like that). Doesn't work well with the SP - interferes with using the shoulder button. I've been considering cutting off the ends. I'm thinking they made that before they knew about the SP.

If you want to use nice headphones on the GBA, why not just buy a headphone adapter. Then you can just plug in your regular headphones from CD player/ipod, etc.

I dunno about 3rd party batteries w/ supposedly longer life. You never really seem to get as much as they claim. How long is your warranty anyway, probably already over. It isn't a very complicated switch if you have a tri-wing screwdriver. If you turn off the back light when playing in well lit areas, and keep the sound at a lower volume (especially in areas where its too loud to hear anyway) you'll get longer battery life. Car chargers are another possibilty. I think USB chargers are available too.
    I'm sorry, I should've been more clear about this. The headphone plug is the same shape as the AC Adapter plug, so it should fit, but it doesn't. It won't go in past a certain point.

I'm not sure about the warranty on my SP. It's a first gen model, with the less-lit screen, though. I got it for Christmas 2004 from a friend, and registered it back then.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Replacing the battery shouldn't void your warranty. Just unscrew the plate and stick it in. It's super easy. By the way, would you even still have a warranty at this point? Nintendo only has a 6 month warranty (I believe). I saw something on lik-sang that straps onto the bottom of the SP that replaces the battery. Try there.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Replacing the battery shouldn't void your warranty. Just unscrew the plate and stick it in. It's super easy. By the way, would you even still have a warranty at this point? Nintendo only has a 6 month warranty (I believe). I saw something on lik-sang that straps onto the bottom of the SP that replaces the battery. Try there.
    This is the only thing that I found. Looks nifty, actually, and I can buy the batteries for a buck at Dollar Tree.

I asked about this because there's a huge chance of me having to take a three day long bus trip across the US this summer. Last time I did this, I had my Game Boy Color and about four packages of batteries. But since the SP doesn't use normal batteries, well... ;P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking of something more like this.

Here's something similar, made by pelican, that's silver and looks pretty sharp - link

What I would do is just buy a normal replacement battery - make sure they're both charged 100% before you leave, and be prepared to switch them halfway through your trip. Bus trips always make 50,000 stops, so you wouldn't have to worry about the constant rattling/shaking making you lose or drop something. Something like this.

I've seen these at local chain stores like EB and toys r us, so they should be difficult or expensive to find.

edit: If you really want that emergency charger you posted a link to, instructions on how to make your own can be found here. Getting another AC Adapter should be easy if you don't mind a third party version. I made a USB charger for my DS out of a third party AC adapter, it works great