Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Famicom to NES conversion (with pics)...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    SMB2 (J) was on the Famicom Disk System. You have to dump it to a chip (the rom is out there) and replace a same mapper cart with it. It's a totally different process than converter mods.
    It's way more complex than that. Much of the game would have to be entirely rewritten to work as a cart. There are rare pirate versions of SMB2j out there, and I believe they all have stage selects built in.

However, it would be nice if someone made a longboard Fami-NES adapter so one could use the disk system on the NES. Of course, the Microphone in Controller 2 of Famicom systems won't be there for game like Zelda and Kid Icarus, but oh well.

Hey, anyone ever played these two NES games on a Famicom or any other game that uses the mic and checked if the functions still work?

-Rob
    There must be some version of SMB2j that will work on a cart since nesreproductions.com is offering to put it on a mapper 4 cart... I wish I knew which rom it is, I'd love to put that game on a cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlotp
    There must be some version of SMB2j that will work on a cart since nesreproductions.com is offering to put it on a mapper 4 cart... I wish I knew which rom it is, I'd love to put that game on a cart.
    I have the ROM for the cart version, but I wouldn't post it without Leonk's permission. You should email/pm him and ask him to send it to you.

On a related note, if anyone has the technical know-how to hack the cart ROM version of SMB2J to boot up with 8 stars on the title screen, you'd make my dreams come true.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Does anybody think it is wierd that the goonies was released on Famicom in Japan only? It was an american movie after all, but it only made it to PC10 in the US? Wierd!
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always wondered that. It would have killed here on the NES.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Like I said in the thread about making converts (that sprung from a question about a converter), those come out looking really nice but are a lot of bother if you want to play other games. You also kill two games to make one.
    Good point, but I didn't really kill any games. I can very easily put the Goonies game (and the Gyromite game for that matter) back in it's original cart. The only thing I really destroyed was the Gyromite label. Not a big deal though because it wasn't in very good shape to begin with.

I'm sure your method works great for playing multiple Famicom carts. But don't they already sell plug-in converters like that?

"The Goonies" is the only Famicom cart I own. And I only needed a small screwdriver and some Photoshop fun to create it. Plus, now it looks like an actual NES game which is the whole reason I did it this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 19k
    I'm sure your method works great for playing multiple Famicom carts. But don't they already sell plug-in converters like that?
    Yes, there are grey market pirate converters. However they don't use an official 10NES lockout chip inside and the higher quality Nintendo connectors, shell construction, etc. To get around the lockout they use the same methods the non-Tengen unlicensed NES games use - sending different voltages to the 10NES chip inside the NES. So many of them have "flip the switch on the back to..." or "it is normal for the screen to flash 11 times..." and so forth. These = cheap construction and buggy design.

There's a reason that say, a Wisdom Tree game can take awhile to get going, and a licensed cartridge or an unlicensed Tengen cartridge will start up no problem - that difference is the 10NES chip. (Tengen used an illegal clone they made of the 10NES chip called their "rabbit" chip, works exactly the same though)

I wasn't trying to harsh on your work, it looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 19k
    "The Goonies" is the only Famicom cart I own. And I only needed a small screwdriver and some Photoshop fun to create it. Plus, now it looks like an actual NES game which is the whole reason I did it this way.
    Technically you own no Famicom games now, instead a FC-NES Goonies conversion. Just like NeoGeo MVS to AES stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yay!

did the same thing. gradius II, battle city, choplifter.

attached is my battle city.
    ---------------------------------------------
    8-Bit Music For The 21st Century
    www.bleepbop.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a Super Mario Bros. 2(J) in a Gyromite cart