Thread: Those Pesky SONY PS1 Imports (Emphasis on Sony)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Those Pesky SONY PS1 Imports (Emphasis on Sony)

Yeah anyway, I just bought myself the NTSC Japanese version of Wild Arms: 2nd Ignition. Booting it up leaves me with this screen:

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wa26cy.jpg

Basically loading was terminated as I had a modded Playstation (but the game was original!). Then I realised this game was published by Sony... you know Sony = evil.

Anyone had any similar problems and know how to circumvent that screen? I'm thinking I'll need like a gameshark, or preferably just burn the game to remove the region protection (might work). I would rather not buy another Playstation (actually I will not).

Any other Sony (or other) games that suffer from this "feature"? (e.g. Original JP game + Modded non-JP PS1/PS2 = Screwed)

How about the Japanese versions of Wild Arms 1 (PS1), and the PS2 Wild Arms (3, 4, Alter: Code F, 5)?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gameshark is probably the best method, but make sure somebody made the cheat codes first. It's sometimes called the (m) code or Must Be On code.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I have the same problem playing some imports on my modded ps1 as well. If it's an older model gray system I heard some mod chips will bypass the copyright screen if you hold down the reset button. If like me you have the newer white ps1 then burning them works, though it kind of pisses me off that I went through the trouble of tracking down and purchasing a legitimate japanese copy just to play a burn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might find this site useful. It also has Game Shark codes for Wild Arms 2. I've found the site useful for Guitar Freaks.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

there were two types of mod chips made for PS1.
    One pre-stealth and the other post-stealth after SONY started to implement the mod chip detection. The newer chips were stealth type that turned itself during checking to fool the games. Or so I was told...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheers for the info dudes.

Looks like quite a lot of games have this "feature". I think I'll just burn the game. I'd rather play burnt CDs anyway to keep the originals in tip-top condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, could anyone figure this out?

My copy of Wild Arms II I have looks a bit like this:

http://www.ncsx.com/www/ncs083099/wild_arms_2nd.htm

According to GameFAQs Wild Arms 2nd Ignition has been released in Japan three times.

SCPS-91321~91322: PSONE BOOKS
    SCPS-91208~91209: Playstation The Best
    SCPS-10089~10090: Original

Mine is SCPS 45429~45430... does this mean it's the Asian version? I have a feeling it is since as you can see on the back cover on the link above, it has "Japanese - Chinese - Engish" in the yellow box.

If it is... then I don't want it...

EDIT: Yep, after browsing cdcovers.cc (and comparisions with my other JP PS1 games), it's definitely some cheapo version. It's missing the bar code on the bottom right, there is no English in the yellow box (except "Playstation"), and is missing the "For Japan Only" white box at the bottom left. ... Fuck.

Insert Coin (Level 0) extrarice's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by layzee
    does this mean it's the Asian version? I have a feeling it is since as you can see on the back cover on the link above, it has "Japanese - Chinese - Engish" in the yellow box.
    Dead giveaway to an "Asia" version vs. original "Japan" version.
    Bummer, dude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Actually Dino Crisis would display this when loaded on a chipped system. The US version of the game would display a notice in Japanese that the system had been tampered with.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

So does the U.S. Strider 2. Oddly, the Strider 1 disc runs just fine. I have a theory about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can anyone confirm the DVD cover art differences between NTSC JP and Asian release Playstation 2 games?

I'm pretty sure the existence/inexistence of the "For Japan Only" (same as PS1) on the back determines whether it's authentic JP release or cheapo Asian release.

And yes, I'm doing all I can to avoid the latter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by layzee
    Can anyone confirm the DVD cover art differences between NTSC JP and Asian release Playstation 2 games?

I'm pretty sure the existence/inexistence of the "For Japan Only" (same as PS1) on the back determines whether it's authentic JP release or cheapo Asian release.
    You're spot on. Also, similar to that Asian Wild Arms 2, it will display the manual being trilingual, as opposed to straight Japanese. I have an Asian Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, and vs. the actual Japanese games I own, it's the same situation as your Asian Wild Arms 2. Also, the Asian games usually lack the CERO rating on the front cover (then again, even some true Japanese games lack the CERO rating, as well...Dragon Quest V comes to mind */me looks at my copy to make sure*).
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    So does the U.S. Strider 2. Oddly, the Strider 1 disc runs just fine. I have a theory about that.
    What's this theory? Have anything to do with the Capcom Collection series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you guys know this already but there's another trick to bypass the "Modified PS1 detected" screen, which I believe is called the "swap trick" or something.

I don't know about other consoles, but for the PAL grey PS1, if you open the disc cover, there is a little circular button on the top right.

First, open the cover and insert a legitimate game. While the cover is still open, press and hold the little round button and turn the power on. I'm not sure at exactly which point this should be done, but after the initial two Sony bootup screens, while stilling holding down the round button, replace the proper game disc with the Japanese one. It should bypass the screen, and you can close the case and play the game.

It seems a little dangerous swapping discs while it's still spinning, but it works.

In other news, I sold my Wild Arms 2nd Ignition (as a bundle along with NTSC U/C Wild Arms + Wild Arms 2) for more than I got it for.

I r happy to rid myself of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the other hand, I have a new problem, this time involving PAL imports.

I just recently bought Breath of Fire 3, Vandal Hearts, and Ghost in the Shell. All are PAL.

My question is, is it possible for those games to only contain one non-English language? I just want a standard UK PAL release, but I'm not completely sure about these ones.

I saw a couple of PAL PS1 and PS2 games that have Russian writing on the back, and I have high doubts as to whether the game itself have any English.

I know I should've checked beforehand though, but it's a bit late now. The seller claims that she can't recall the details.

Cheers.

UPDATE: Hmm, according to www.cdcovers.cc, the German front cover of Breath of Fire III is exactly the same as any other PAL releases. The back and presumably the game itself (UK PAL is in English only) is in German. Unfortunately the only scans provided for me was the front cover of each of the games. Hmm... :hopes for the best:

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by layzee View Post
    I'm pretty sure you guys know this already but there's another trick to bypass the "Modified PS1 detected" screen, which I believe is called the "swap trick" or something.

I don't know about other consoles, but for the PAL grey PS1, if you open the disc cover, there is a little circular button on the top right.

First, open the cover and insert a legitimate game. While the cover is still open, press and hold the little round button and turn the power on. I'm not sure at exactly which point this should be done, but after the initial two Sony bootup screens, while stilling holding down the round button, replace the proper game disc with the Japanese one. It should bypass the screen, and you can close the case and play the game.

It seems a little dangerous swapping discs while it's still spinning, but it works.

In other news, I sold my Wild Arms 2nd Ignition (as a bundle along with NTSC U/C Wild Arms + Wild Arms 2) for more than I got it for.

I r happy to rid myself of it.
    I'd say about 1/4 to 1/2 a second before the modchip error, this special swap can be used with the double-swap method on non-moded units. Tokimeki Memorial 2 is the only title I tested this on though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Project Justice 2 has a modchip detection. This is the NTSC-J version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is also mod chip protection that comes on when you have an import convertor in your PS1. Luckily there are codes to bypass this for most games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.