Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3DO experts.. anyone else ever hear this?..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DO experts.. anyone else ever hear this?..

I have this obsession. Whenever I collect consoles for a particular gaming system I HAVE to have ALL of the versions that were cosmetically different (as in a Gen 1, 2&3, top AND front load NES,even the original PSX.. every version with a different back panel I/O config).

So I have three 3DOs. An FZ-1, FZ-10 & a Goldstar. I remember seeing/reading this a couple of times.. but I don't know where. Has anybody ever heard that there were TWO versions of the FZ-1? The first run production models had a VERY shiny black top on them the second runs and on, had a rather flat opaque top on them. I swear I have seen both. You don't see the glossy topped ones very much on eBay and they're hard to spot usually because of crappy pictures, but when you look at these units at an angle from the front.. the tops are black and have almost a mirror finish to them. Some would call it a "piano" look I guess, but you can readily see reflections and camera flash in/off the top. The other later units had a flat appearance to them. When you look at both tops straight from top down.. you really can't see this and they BOTH have the white "speckled" appearance only the first release's specks are finer, hence.. it almost "looks" black.

I wish I could find comparative pictures to show.. but on eBay you rarely see it. I have actually PM'ed several sellers before asking them what kind of "top" their 3DO has.. but most of them have a hard time grasping the concept I'm trying to explain. Rumour had it also that the 1st run ones were constructed a little "beefier" (like the Atari 2600 heavy sixers) but I can't vouch for that. Also.. that Panasonic dropped the mirror finish because people complained it was too hard to keep clean.

Has anybody else ever heard this? Because I swear I have seen good illustrations of both kinds in the past, but no one else ever mentions this. Tell me I'm not insane.. well at least not totally.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A buddy of mine got a 3DO the day it launched, and his had that piano finish that you are talking about. I got one in early 1994, that was actually a unit from the original launch, and I'm pretty sure it had the reflective surface too.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

dude
    you're missing Sanyo 3DO TRY console...
    it was only available in Japan though...

and then there's M2 but that's different story altogether...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    dude
    you're missing Sanyo 3DO TRY console...
    it was only available in Japan though...

and then there's M2 but that's different story altogether...
    Yeah.. I know, but I haven't seen one on eBay in ages and a Japanese 3DO is not exactly on the top of my list when it comes to import consoles. I know of nothing on the Japanese 3DO that would appeal to me, not a big shooter fan. I must admit though.. they got sexy curves.

As for the M2.. it's just an empty white protype box to me.. would make a nice doorstop though. 3DO & Jaguar are the reasons I didn't buy a PSX until 3 years after it's release. I was so pissed off at the kind of money I spent on these two consoles.. I was absolutely certain that Sony thing wasn't gonna' last. I remember considering buying Yahoo stock the day they went public.. I'm a loser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only difference I've seen in FZ-1 consoles are between dev units and commercial release units. Other than that, you could try to find an M2, but I think you just missed your chance. There was one on eBay recently. What exactly are these good for, anyways?

Wait until you start collecting all of the CD-i system variants. They are as expensive as the day they were released. Many online stores still have them new in boxes for sale.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw a M2 board on Ebay once, it was the actual circuit board and stuff, and supposedly you could actually play a M2 demo of Iron Blood or something like that.

Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't any regional lockouts with 3DO's, so you can play Japanese games in American 3DO's, thus having a Japanese 3DO is really unnecessary.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I never heard about the "glossy" variant of the original 3DO. I bought my 3DO on the day of release and I don't know what to consider my shine on it. It's like somewhere between the "piano" look and the "matte finish" look. Hmmmmm....

Also, the 3DO does indeed have no regional lockouts. Thanks to it, I am able to play my 3DO version of Polcienauts with no problem

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Not sure if you knew about it or not, but there's apparently an LG version of the 3DO too (After they gave up the Goldstar name). I only saw it once on eBay a while ago, and the price was very high, so I'm guessing it's pretty tough to find.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FullCircle..

Yeah.. I've had several chances to collect one of those white M2 boxes over the years. 4 or 5 years ago they were relatively inexpensive, but I never saw it as anything more than unfinished or non-functional. Those white boxes are just protos of the CD drive units aren't they? Do they even have the CD drives in them? I always thought they were empty (minus the electronics). They ARE slick looking though. I got pissed off at 3DO after they decided the M2 WASN'T gonna' be an add-on to the 3DO through the expansion port; and decided for a standalone. Then, of course.. everything went to hell and they sold the technology.

I have a late model Magnavox flip-top CD-I (w/VCD card installed) and a Philips model 490 (I like it because it's small). I don't think I'll get anymore of them.

Anthony1 and LiquidPolicenaut..

I used to DL games off of usenet years ago, and that's when I discovered 3DOs play CD-Rs.. so I got a chance to try many Japanese games.. none interested me. Although it always seemed like I SHOULD be playing the two Iron Angel games and Burning Soldier IN Japanese.. they reminded me of B Japanese Sci-Fis.

Ze_ro..

DON'T TELL ME THAT! I'm too old for another "quest". Seriously though.. that's a new one on me. I remember when Goldstar sold nothing but microwave ovens (and not good ones at that) here in the US. Then when the 3DO came out they made that model. My Goldstar 3DO is actually my first.. bought by me at Software Etc when they were $399. I remember I was SO pissed because my 3DO broke like after 3 weeks and I took it back to SEtc. The manager was a total asshole and even though I had already spent 1000s of $s with him at that point.. refused to exchange; forcing me to send my unit in for warranty replacement. But I got a new one anyway.

That's the Goldstar I have today. I socked it away.. and got the other two models years later. My Goldstar is virtually unused.

Anyway.. Goldstar was always "Lucky Goldstar". If you look at the backs of their microwaves the full company name is on the label. Then they dropped the Lucky and became Goldstar. Then they took back the Lucky and wanted to become disassociated with the name and became LG Tron. Now they're just Tron Industries.. I believe. I chuckle that a company that was once thought of as just a cheap Korean microwave manufacturer has now become a MAJOR corporation in the telecommunications market. Another lost stock opportunity perhaps.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Not sure if you knew about it or not, but there's apparently an LG version of the 3DO too (After they gave up the Goldstar name). I only saw it once on eBay a while ago, and the price was very high, so I'm guessing it's pretty tough to find.
    Did it look like this (minus the little tiny child skanking on the lid, of course):

If so, it's a Korean model. That's the only LG branded 3DO I know of (even though the picture I just posted says "Goldstar").

The M2s are real, from what I understand. Maybe someone here from ASSEMbler who's paid more attention to all the M2 talk can fill in the details or correct me if I'm totally wrong, but from what I understood the white M2 units were functioning developer units, but there is indeed at least one (maybe two?) complete consumer prototypes, not mockups, but theoretically functioning units. Theoretical, since now= games were produced of course. I don't know if it's confirmed whether or not software from other M2-based machines (like arcade cabs or coffee machines) will work on the M2 consoles, but it seems pretty unlikely. I hope what I just said isn't *TOO* wrong, but I hate doing research for message board posts.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I have an FZ-1 with "piano" finish, I was wondering, are all the units compatible between each other?? Can they all use the same peripherals and load backups?

THANKS.

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer
    I have an FZ-1 with "piano" finish, I was wondering, are all the units compatible between each other?? Can they all use the same peripherals and load backups?

THANKS.
    Yes, all 3DO models are compatible between each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I saw a M2 board on Ebay once, it was the actual circuit board and stuff, and supposedly you could actually play a M2 demo of Iron Blood or something like that.

Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't any regional lockouts with 3DO's, so you can play Japanese games in American 3DO's, thus having a Japanese 3DO is really unnecessary.
    That's ture most of the time. I used to own a 3DO FZ-1 and it plays imports just fine.

Most imports will work on a American 3DO, but not all of them. Some of them required an special Kanji disc before you're able to play the game (I herd that the Japanese Alone of the Dark requires the disc before playing it on a American system).

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    Did it look like this (minus the little tiny child skanking on the lid, of course):

If so, it's a Korean model. That's the only LG branded 3DO I know of (even though the picture I just posted says "Goldstar").
    Now that I've to do some research on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I know where the PSOne design came from. You can't tell from the picture.. but I wonder how small that thing is. If it's smaller than any other 3DO.. I want one.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I thought I remembered the LG 3DO having more rounded sides than that... but then again, my memory is based on an auction picture I saw whenever ago.

Then again, the 3DO in that picture does indeed say "Goldstar" on it, so it might actually be a different unit.

--Zero

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goldstar=LG
    The brand name of Goldstar was going to shit, being synonymous with poor quality electronics. So, when they decided to get into high-end stuff, they knew nobody'd buy it. Hence LG was born.

...I wish I had a tiny alien child to dance on my consoles...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

actually it was the merger of two entities - Goldstar and Lucky. Two of big players in Korea at that time

LG = Lucky Goldstar

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[[/quote]

3DO & Jaguar are the reasons I didn't buy a PSX until 3 years after it's release. I was so pissed off at the kind of money I spent on these two consoles.. I was absolutely certain that Sony thing wasn't gonna' last. I remember considering buying Yahoo stock the day they went public.. I'm a loser. [/quote]

Yikes!! Remind me not to go to you for investment advice.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle
    The only difference I've seen in FZ-1 consoles are between dev units and commercial release units. Other than that, you could try to find an M2, but I think you just missed your chance. There was one on eBay recently. What exactly are these good for, anyways?

Wait until you start collecting all of the CD-i system variants. They are as expensive as the day they were released. Many online stores still have them new in boxes for sale.
    Do you have links to stores where they sell the CD-i systems? I don't think I've found one yet online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think I found some semi-good representations of the examples that started this thread.

DULL TOP

GLOSSY TOP

.. not only that but you see those two "odd-shaped" controllers, obscured in the photo of the "dull sale"? Those are the infamous 3DO Controller 1's made by Logitech and also distributed through Creative with their 3DO Blaster cards. I'm bettin' those are two of the "unbranded" non-Creative ones. I've been searching for these controllers for years. Too bad I already have all that other stuff (including the gun) or I'd bid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I remember yes your correct ! ... As I have at least 10 3do systems !! ... (3 or 4 has the switch in the back to play encrypted games but its impossible to find encrypted games ) I'm sure there r people with proto/unreleased games but they are stuck in their hands . That's interesting and cool abt the LG 3DO system never saw one before thanks for sharing this with us... About M2 development CD Box I used to have one but sold it to can_dude ... It has real cd rom drive inside 2 control ports ... Memory card interface.... Power adaptor input.. Stereo inputs etc ... It was like a REAL thing but as you said its a nice white expensive doorstep ... But I think zangardo haven't seen him on internet in a long time he had a lot of nice 3DO and M2 collection I think he even had 2 games for the M2 system sorry for derailing ur thread....