Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Videogame Spending ERROR You've Ever Committed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most recently, I bought a Sega CD / Genesis combo from a flea mart lady near me. Got home, the CD doesn't work. (grumble). I call her up, she hems and haws around, eventually she doesn't return my phone call so I quite bugging her. I traded with her an NES & some games for the CD/Genesis plus I paid $30. I was ticked -- I had also bought a few CD games from her and now they sit.

Last week , I finally found Einhander for PSX -- only $14.99 at Its About Games. Elated, I bought it and brought it home .. and I hate it. Slow, dull shooter, nothing like my faves of Darius Gaiden or Thunderforce games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"2. Being so into SF2 and buying a fighting clone for the snes for $60.. I even forget the name. Lets just say it was such a BAAAD poorly put together street fighter clone hashed together in about a week. ugh! "

Power Moves, perhaps? Or maybe Doomsday Warrior?

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup....a couple years ago I decided I REALLY wanted a Turbo Duo. At the time I'd never even HEARD of www.tzd.com or anything and there weren't any on eBay or anywhere. So I found this website that's selling "NEW" Turbo Duos for $300 + shipping! I get all excited and bought one. It comes in the mail..FINALLY...and lo and behold...mint box, mint Duo...looks new...BUT the manual is a photocopy, and the pack-in Gates of Thunder game (that's even advertised on the box!) is not there at all! So these guys are selling the manuals and game separately and selling their Duos new (tzd does that as well with the pack-in disc for some reason too...)! Made me so mad. THEN I found out I could have gotten a nice boxed used Duo for like $100 and a new one from TZD for $200...so I got totally ripped off basically. Sucked hard.

By the way...how can TZD advertise their Duos as new if they've removed the pack in discs? That bothers me but seems to be common practice for EVERY dealer in "NEW" Turbo Duos....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    By the way...how can TZD advertise their Duos as new if they've removed the pack in discs? That bothers me but seems to be common practice for EVERY dealer in "NEW" Turbo Duos....
    Or how about when they refuse to check the screens of their Turbo Express stock for dead pixels, claiming the 'new' factor?

They're selling Duos without the original gamepads as I recall it now, just TG-16 pads with the adaptor. TG-16 systems used to be for sale over there with the Keith Courage game removed too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing really bad for me,a few bad N64 games for $60 and SoE for PS2 for $50 at launch day.

I am waiting to see what Joe has in store for us.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

SoE for PS2 for $50 at launch day.
    Am I the only one who liked that game?

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far it is not a regret but ir could very easily turn out that way. I paid $75 Canadian (tax in) for Kakuto Chojin. Hell I don't even have an Xbox. With all the talk of this game being pulled I thought I should get it. It is the last one in my area. As for the price, well thats not unusual for a new game in Canada. Just the way it is.

This better end up being rare.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What the hell is SoE?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing State of Emergency.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks...I kept trying to figure it out, and it wasn't coming to me.

Joe: What's the story? You've got us all panting in anticipation!

My biggest spending blunder? Either the fact that I bought an N64 close to launch, or that I paid something like $50 - $60 for Saturn Metal Slug. Wouldn't be so bad, except I have no ram cart with which to play it....

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When Tecmo Super Bowl II: Limited Edition came out for the SNES I couldn't find one anywhere. I'd read it was supposed to be hard to find, but I finally found it for rent at my Hastings.

I rented it, told them I lost it & paid $69.99 for just the cartridge. I wanted to ask them for the box & enclosed manual that was sitting on the rentals shelf, but thought they may catch on to my scheme & decided against it.

I was a sly fellow indeed...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update on my greatest blunder. This past summer I passed over a SegaCD with attached genesis and two (bad) games for something like $30. I'm regretting it now, because I checked online and it seems segacd games are really cheap right now....and I don't have one. BLAST!

EDIT: Oops...this belongs in the other thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I remember a few years back buying a boxed Chrono Trigger for 70 bucks because I wanted the game so damn bad...this wasn't even during the SNES's heyday, either. But that's about the craziest my spending ever got.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This wasn't as much of a loss, as it was just plain stupid. I'm sure all of you saw those displays that gave away free gamecube preview DVDs? Well, in my haste, I bought one on ebay for 2 bucks. The nest day while at my local Fred Myers, I saw the free kiosk. I stuffed a whole bunch in my pocket and gave them to my friends. I got the DVD in the mail and just laughed at how stupid i was at my impulsive buying. I figured I would get the Kit Kat that was stated to come with it in the auction, but apparently, he forgot.
    Know whats funniest about this whole story?
    After i got my gamevube DVD, I went home and played it in my Xbox. He he he
    -crispy
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default fork in the a$$...

lessee now:

paid $81 for a boxed copy of sorcerian for the PC, and 2 weeks later watching 2 or 3 more go for around $10

paid $50 for a 3DO game guru, then found a closeout place had some miscellaneous PC games for a dollar to 3 dollars each, and yes, there was one in the stack, emphasis on WAS, as some guy grabbed it and RAN to the register (i was about 10 feet away looking at some CD storage bins)

$90 for gleylancer for the mega drive (bid war, ebay- i got outbid and lost, but the guy who won didn't pay, and neither did the 2nd or 3rd bidders. one of the guys later contacted me an offered to buy it from me, but i turned him down flat)

$86 for zeiram zone for the ps (used/excellent shape). saw the game later for 20 bucks, new.

$85 for a new/sealed frame gride (dreamcast)- which wasn't THAT bad, but i had sold off mine a bit earlier, got another for $25 new, sold that one, and had a devil of a time locating one until the more expensive one was offered me.

there's a few more, but these are the ones that stand out...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly don't think I've ever made an error in judgement when it comes to the classic stuff, but I can think of three times off the top of my head I bought a game only to see it go on sale the next day. Bomberman Online for the DC for 29.99 at Best Buy... next day it was 9.99. Skies of Arcadia for the DC for 49.99. Next day it was 19.99 at Best Buy. And finally just the other day I bought Godzilla Melee for the Cube for 39.99 at Best Buy and then it dropped to 29.99.

OK, now I can think of one... my Sega Hologram. Costed a ton, and although it looks pretty (plays like shit, but looks pretty lol), I would have rather spent the money on a good coinop like Tapper, Sinistar, Tempest, or something along those lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    2. Being so into SF2 and buying a fighting clone for the snes for $60.. I even forget the name. Lets just say it was such a BAAAD poorly put together street fighter clone hashed together in about a week. ugh! "
    Power Moves, perhaps? Or maybe Doomsday Warrior?

JR
    POWER MOVES!!! OH GOD THAT WAS IT!!! > Yep.. you nailed it. EB sure ripped me a new hole on that one.

Thank you for reminding me (or is it no thanks)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent $30 on Genesis 1, Sega CD 2, and 32X combo just so I could get the 32X cables. So I spent $30 for a pair of wires that I have since found extras of at 2 separate occasions loose at a couple of thrift stores for less than $2 for both. > >

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: fork in the a$$...

Quote Originally Posted by geelw
    $90 for gleylancer for the mega drive (bid war, ebay- i got outbid and lost, but the guy who won didn't pay, and neither did the 2nd or 3rd bidders. one of the guys later contacted me an offered to buy it from me, but i turned him down flat)
    Actually, that's a GREAT price for Gleylancer....that's not embarrasing, that's a score! Ususally a complete one goes for well over $100
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Some of these sound pretty good, but most of them (N64 Superman? Beavis & Butthead? METAL GEAR SOLID?) I would hardly call MAJOR errors in purchasing. I have one that is going to blow the doors off of what I'm seeing here so far.

I'd rather not tell the story until the blow is cushioned by others. :/
    Joe, have you played N64 Superman? It's not a game, it's a form of torture resurrected from the middle-ages (and I spent £40 on it ).
    Conform. Consume. Obey.