• Man just get oblivion

12 44.44%

Thread: Reserved FF11 for 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reserved FF11 for 360?

I just did today I heard its a quality game but Im not really that thrilled right away
    it would be my 1st MMO my worried con is just ya know the communities and their drama and jerks. But I want to see atleast how it plays and looks on the 360. (never touched the ps2 or pc version)
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was pretty pumped about FF XI on 360 until I head that it doesn't even support voice chat. Personally, I'd pick up Oblivion before FF XI but I'd still like to play it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pick up Oblivion and skip FFXI.

I have NO idea why they are bothering to bring this old game to the 360 and toss people into the existing PS2/PC world. I played it since day one and had a great time......because I HAD played it since day one. I was a high enough level white/black mage that I found PT (a party) everywhere.

I left 3/4 of a year ago....and the game's economy was fucked back then....I'd hate to have to start a new character in it now. It's a VERY long road and you MUST play with others if you want to get anywhere. Job choice is so crucial. I can't count the number of people who stood around in a town for HOURS waiting for someone, anyone to take them into a party. Later on you can hop on and not get to play.....for days.

It makes me shudder just to think about starting over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that throwing new players into a trashed economy will suck (for those of you who dont know, it means prices on items are WAY too high for new players).

I might pick up on my old character from ps2, I had over 500 hours into him, and I am interested in the 3 new jobs they have now (Though I expect them to be over played)

I play on Asura, so try and land there if anyone needs help.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm willing to bet they are going to have separate 360 servers, as I would imagine they did for PS2 and PC. If everyone played on the same server, that would be pretty lame.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    I'm willing to bet they are going to have separate 360 servers, as I would imagine they did for PS2 and PC. If everyone played on the same server, that would be pretty lame.
    Thats the point though, PC, PS2, and 360 all play together.

Strange no voice support.... but then PS2 kiddies would be hacking at 360 or vise versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

true about the ps2 boys I can imagine the dorky rivalys and everything. Anyways for people that interested about this version I heard their is no charge by the company to pay to play , you just need xbox live gold It was all on attack of the show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

Tempting, but I'll continue to resist my urges to try Final Fantasy XI.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to mention......can you IMAGINE all of the power levelling that will be going on?

Poor 360 newbs won't want to actually EARN their level-ups the hard way. x_x Taking my frail little white mage all the way up through those solo levels wasn't easy, I got very used to the comforts of death....but it was hella fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

This is just my perspective....

FFXI is poison. It's one of the most complex and difficult MMOs on the market. This is spoken as someone who has played nearly every major MMO to see a release (Ultima Online through World of Warcraft)

Huge time sinks are built into every facet of the game to keep you from improving your character in any tangible way. It's the type of game where, unless you're ready to sit down for a 4 hour play session, there's no point in even turning it on. And this is assuming you WILL get a group in the first hour. Depending on your class, that could be wishful thinking indeed.

Compound this with the archaic death penalty of XP loss, this game will ask a lot from you to even play it, much less enjoy it.

If you have at least four other close friends who are going to start with you, or a pool of other friends who are already endgame, then feel free to give it a shot. Or, if you're willing to go through the inordinate amount of time it takes to accomplish anything in game, then, by all means, proceed. Otherwise, you're throwing your money in the wind.

But, if they DO release it without a monthly cost, that may go a long way to modify my comments.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I plan on making the broken economy work for me at low levels. Since I can make thousands selling crystals and low level drops, I should be able to easily stay maxed on gear from NPCs. Until I hit mid level, money should not be a problem at all.

The main draw for FFXI over newer, more polished MMORPGs for me is the job system. Every other game out there, if you want to switch from a tank to a caster, you start from scratch. With FFXI, you can switch jobs, keep all of your crafting and some other skill levels and switch back as often as you like with no penealty. The same character can do experience every job in the game. Plus you can mix and match subjobs to complement the your style of playing. Very slick system and I don't know why more games don't use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought they were sticking with the monthly charge for the 360 version?
    I agree though about the time sinks, when I first played the game my first job was warrior, and once I got him to lvl 50 getting parties was unbearable. I played a WAR/THF or WAR/MNK, WAR/NIN was too expensive. As a result I would go for like 4 straight hours seeking for a party, and in the end I retired my WAR at lvl 52, and went BRD who I got to 67.

I remember I hated the game, but loved it sometimes. Some things felt more like chores (AF armor) than fun.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh well originally the game was going to be free for xbox live but microsoft pulled out at the last momment to give royalties to square enix for the game cause they found out people are willing to pay 13 bucks a month , so if their were less people willing you could have been playing ff11 for free as originally intended. I thought this is kind of a dumb move not the fact that i just dont want to pay 13 bucks a month but if it was free more people would of defianely picked this game up , so they could sell more and develop a good relationship with square enix that they would be more than willing to sell their games and ports on the xbox360 , so it was kind of microsofts lost for this cause I can only imagine with the fee the success of this version will end up probably being mild to low , instead of a high success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

FFXI was my first MMO too. Played it on PC years ago. It's not a bad game if you dont mind waiting hours and hours for a group and then once (actually, if) you get a group standing in a crowded area fighting for mobs for hours and hours just grinding levels.

Everything in the game is a chore. I got to level 30 as a thief (bad move on my part. no one wants thieves) and quit at 29 because I leveled down.

Unless you are playing as a white mage you're gonna spend more time waiting for one to join your group so you can kill things. It's extremely hard to kill things without one.

It does have it's good points though. Mithras are cute, the graphics and music are nice, the battle system is nice too (with the skillchains and whatnot) but the huge grind and love of punishing the player is what kills it.

you can check out a few of the pics i took while playing here

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/cammyrox/

password is digitpress. go to ffxi folder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Of course, I think all the FF games are overrated. So I guess I'm biased.

I'd go for Oblivion. FFXI was developed mainly to get some Japanese people to buy the 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    FFXI was developed mainly to get some Japanese people to buy the 360.
    I hope you mean "developed for the 360" cuz the game is around 3-4 years old now...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is kinda off-topic... a stretch to say it's on-topic, but:

Why is this the best picture ever?

-GoTaS

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was looking at this as it sat on the rack in the game shop today. My nephew has already dived in and wants me to start up again and show him the ropes of where to go and what to do. (I wonder if my old Shell is still around? )

Alas....I really don't think that I can bring myself to stomach another round. Truly. Blissfulnoise's post hit the nail on the head so dead on it ain't even funny......and all of those negatives came rushing back to meet me as if it were only yesterday. I'd probably pack it in by the time I was ready to leave the dunes.