Thread: Possible to Get Component from Genesis 2?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Contrabassoon86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Possible to Get Component from Genesis 2?

I know that the Genesis 2 has Red , Green, and blue pin out; but no one has ever mentioned if you could do a custom component cable or a comnponent mod on the genny. I know there is a Scart cable, but I don't want to play on a small screen.

Does any body have an ideas? Are there component mods for other similar systems?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'd have to build an RGB-component transcoder, but yes, it is possible. It might be more economical (with results close but not quite as good) to do the S-Video mod (which I believe is the same as the Neo Geo S-Video mod).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the S-video mod you'd need composite output for the audio, correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    With the S-video mod you'd need composite output for the audio, correct?

You would probably want it, although you could use stereo AV cables for the sound. On my S-video modded Genesis 2, I am just using the audio out from the sega CD to get my sound. Works fine. I reccomend the S-video. I dont know if composite would be much better and it would certainly be a lot more complicated.

Depending on the chip inside your Genesis the S-video mod will be easy, hard, or practically impossible. I did the hard mod ("NeoGeo" mod) before I knew that the "easy" chips came in the Genesis 2 and that I infact owned a few with that chip.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Mod

Where can I find the directions for the S-video "Neo Mod" for the Genesis? Is there are good mod web site? I have been unlucky finding one on google.
    I love buying stuff now, that I could never afford in the past!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Mod

Repeat, whoops.
    I love buying stuff now, that I could never afford in the past!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Possible to Get Component from Genesis 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Contrabassoon86
    I know there is a Scart cable, but I don't want to play on a small screen.

This is a big myth that all RGB monitors have small screens. But there are a number of RGB monitors that are quite large, and will give you a much better picture than going with some kind of transcoder.

For example, there are a number of 27 inch 4:3 monitors that do RGB, and do RGB damn well, and would be much better than using some component inputs on a crappy TV. Sony PVM-2530 is a 27 inch beast that can do 15 kHz RGB. Same thing with the NEC XM-2950. And then there is the Mitsubishi Megaview monitor line. Most of the Megaviews do 15 kHz just fine, and come in huge sizes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon
    http://www.digitpress.com/livefaq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=39&id=82&artlang=en
    http://www.neostore.com/megamods.htm
    http://www.lukesandel.com/techgaller...-Svideo?page=1
    The CXA1145 mod is relatively complex, and that site does a piss poor job of explaining it. There used to be another site that was slightly more informative but I can no longer find it. Even though I have done this mod on a Genesis myself I still found the instructions confusing. I took the time to scribble down a circuit diagram and I will upload it when I get the chance. Right now I am wondering what exactly the circuit does. I always thought it was an amplifier circuit but now I am not so sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now I am wondering what exactly the circuit does. I always thought it was an amplifier circuit but now I am not so sure.
    It is a buffer, like a 0-gain amplifier. The Y/C pins on the 1145 output the correct levels, but lack the ability to adequately drive the inputs on a monitor.

Try hooking the 1145 Y/C directly to a monitor sometime. The picture will look good unless there is a lot of brightness, at which point it will become unstable. Sonic 1 demonstrates this well.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    Right now I am wondering what exactly the circuit does. I always thought it was an amplifier circuit but now I am not so sure.
    It is a buffer, like a 0-gain amplifier. The Y/C pins on the 1145 output the correct levels, but lack the ability to adequately drive the inputs on a monitor.
    Hmmm... I wonder if you could simply buffer it with a couple emitter followers or a dual high freq op-amp chip hooked up as a voltage follower. There may be a simpler circuit possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the circuit diagram I made. I hope that it's correct.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the circuit diagram I made. I hope that it's correct.
    Thanks for posting that. Those are a couple strange looking circuits, what are they common-base configuration? CB gives you voltage amplification but not current.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found another similar image at the following site. Mine looks essentially the same. I am wondering if it matters what npn transistor is used. Some sources reccomend the ECG or NTE 85, but other sources claim it doesnt matter. It probably doesnt matter.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:sony_cxa_series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Possible to Get Component from Genesis 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    This is a big myth that all RGB monitors have small screens. But there are a number of RGB monitors that are quite large, and will give you a much better picture than going with some kind of transcoder.

For example, there are a number of 27 inch 4:3 monitors that do RGB, and do RGB damn well, and would be much better than using some component inputs on a crappy TV. Sony PVM-2530 is a 27 inch beast that can do 15 kHz RGB. Same thing with the NEC XM-2950. And then there is the Mitsubishi Megaview monitor line. Most of the Megaviews do 15 kHz just fine, and come in huge sizes.

The real question that I have been wondering for a long time is whether or not it is possible to mod a TV for RGB. I know that eventually the TV must use an RGB signal of some sort to actually aim the electrons. I want to skip to that part of the TV and make it RGB compatible. Dangerous? Perhaps, but I still want to do it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that's possible too. You'd have to to basically find the chip that decodes the input video to RGB, and glom onto that chip's output. Either that or trace the RGB lines further to bypass any unwanted components. Some such chips may even offer RGB in (even if the set itself doesn't offer such an input), in which case you could just add a suitable connector that goes directly to the RGB in.

Just remember, CRTs are dangerous to work on if not discharged. The safest way to discharge a set is simply to leave it sitting, although this can be very slow and hard to tell if the CRT is truly discharged. Here's more information on safely discharging sets before working on them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LocalH
    Just remember, CRTs are dangerous to work on if not discharged. The safest way to discharge a set is simply to leave it sitting, although this can be very slow and hard to tell if the CRT is truly discharged. Here's more information on safely discharging sets before working on them.
    This is totaly Wrong CRT dont discharge themself they are a huge capacitor and can hold power longer then most people live a nasty disscharge hurts like a bitch and can in worst case scenario kill someone!!! discharging of CRT tubes should NOT be tried by AMATURES!!!

!!! WARNING WARNING WARNING
    following information is not to be taken lightly and not to be tried by people who dont know what they are doing!!!

if you are gonna discharge a CRT use a PLASTIC Screwdriver and wrap lots and lots of wire around it like a coil and connect the other part to ground and carefully lift the Anode of the CRT and touch it with the Screwdriver tip and for god sake make sure its unplugged before doing anything att all!
    Broken? fix it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, by "safest" I meant "absolutely no chance for accidents assuming you allow the tube to fully discharge", but I agree that it takes an extremely long time. The site I linked to goes further in-depth and seems to be accurate.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i havent checked the site out more then a glimps of it but i know this for a fact since i used to work as an crt repair technican and discharges do hurt ALOT..
    Broken? fix it.