Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone think the Revolution controller will be an issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone think the Revolution controller will be an issue

There seems to be nothing but love for Nintendo new controller and controll scheme, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one who has a problem with this set up.

It seems that every screenshot I see of the thing in use the player is usually standing and has one arm fully extended. Now to me this doesn't seem like the ideal position for longs gaming sessions.

I like the Revolution a lot, and it will probably be the first system I ever buy at launch, and I think the controll hasa lot going for it, but I just can't imagine it will be that comfortable to sit down and play something like Metroid Prime 3 for a few hours if you have to hold your arm up all the time.

Am I the only one that sees this a problem? Or do you think it's pretty much a given that the controller will detect movement just as well with subtle wrist movements.

Because I don't know about anyone else, but my common gaming position is to sit down with the controller resting around my lap. The only time I hold a controller up to the screen if for a light gun game, but I don't often sit down and play those for hours on end at one time.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest, the controller looks horrible to play with. But i must of course try it first before i say my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right, the article linked here says it will. Probably can post this information in there.

My worries? Oh god, all the extra topics clogging up Modern Gaming. I'm feeling sick!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the photos of people standing up, waving the controller about in the air with an outstretched arm is purely for effect: to highlight just how different this controller is from the controllers that we have become accustomed to. It has been said in various outlets (previews, interviews, etc), that the controller is very sensitive. You could play a game like Metroid Prime (or any FPS, I imagine) while sitting down, with only minimal movements of the controller.

E3 will show us what this controller is all about. Then and then only can we really form an opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is the rev gonna be playable at e3?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i imagine that Nintendo has the foresight to make sure all Revolution games will work with the revmote shell, or some other traditional dual analog peripheral, not everyone is comfortable with such a physical gamestyle, and i'm sure they don't want to alienate anyone.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controller seems dumb to me, but I guess we can only wait and see.
    Move 'sig' for great justice.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943
    is the rev gonna be playable at e3?
    Well its coming out this year so I would expect it to be. Nintendo and Sony are fighting for attention at E3 so if Nintendo wants to win that they need to show either a new Super Smash game or a New Mario game playable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm banking on the fact that a regular old controller can also be used.. which of course would make all the complaints about the rev controllers moot.

It's just like the DS.. everyone complained about how practical touchpad games would be.. and completely forgetting there was a regular old gamepad to the left there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Well I'm banking on the fact that a regular old controller can also be used.. which of course would make all the complaints about the rev controllers moot.
    So game developers are collectively going to ignore the Rev's new controller? I doubt that. There's a joystick dongle with two buttons in addition to the movement sensor, so you can't simply map all the movement to the GC's controller. You're gonna be saddled with it for almost every Rev game there is.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo already announced that they would be making a more traditional controller for the Rev in the form of a cradle for the Revmote. So, if a publisher really hates the thing, like say for Madden, they could still make it play traditionally.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I would have to agree that the controller doesn't look erogomically correct for the needs of a gamer, But I thought that they were going to make the cubes controller compatiable?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to wait and see demo units before I give my opinion on the controller. They seem to be the same size as the current GCN controllers.

Also, on a side note, I understand that you can use the GCN controllers as well on the Revolution? Can anyone confirm this?

What would be ideal is if they had some sort of controller case you would plug the remote into in order to turn it into a joystick or gamepad f some kind.

SNKFan75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    You're gonna be saddled with it for almost every Rev game there is.
    So you really think you'd have to use the Rev controller for the NES/SNES games that will be available? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    You're gonna be saddled with it for almost every Rev game there is.
    So you really think you'd have to use the Rev controller for the NES/SNES games that will be available? :P
    How about... stop being so incredulous Mr Oscuro. I think the gamecube ports are there for the classic gaming as well as rev games. Its like since you do not want to use the remote comtr0l on say the new Rev Super Smash Bros then you can use the cradle control or plug in a gamecube style controller and play teh smash bros with that instead yeah. ok we're good.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that I hope they do, in regards to the whole Virtual Console question, is have controllers available seperately, that look identical to the original NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube controllers, but be wireless and work well with the Revolution. They would basically be imitations of the real controllers for those old systems, but they would be sold seperately for like $19.99 each. Or maybe $24.99. So it's almost like they would be selling systems again, via these controllers.

Also, if they are going to have old Genny games and TurboGrafx-16 games, then it would be appropriate to also have wireless imitations of those original controllers as well. Certainly, price gouging would be somewhat of an issue, to have to pay $24.99 to play each of those old systems properly, but for the sake of convienence, I'm sure alot of casual gamers with slight retro interest will buy one or two for their favorite console of the past. (gee, might slightly affect Ebay sales, ya think?)

Ok, on to the actual wand controller. Here's the deal fellas..... You are going to have to think of the Revolution in a different light. The Revolution is your "other" system. (Nintendo Fanboys excluded). You are either going to have a 360 or PS3, and then also have your "OTHER" system. The Revolution is going to be that system that you go to, when you need to try something different. Unfortunately, to really get into it though, you are going to have to get off your ass to play the Rev. games properly. Just sitting there like a zombie, slouched into the sofa, and playing your games, is going to be difficult with this freaking wand. It's basically going to be like getting a slight arm workout, along with your gaming. I can guarantee you this....there will be alot of forearms with definition, after extended Revolution playing sessions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not an old person. I am not female. I am not a video game noob. I am also not a monkey. I have 2 arms and 10 fingers that are all fully functional.

A standard controller is the best for playing a wide range of games on a home console. I can just move my fingers and be able to press a variety of combinations. Aiming with an analog stick is very precise (depending on how well the developers program the game of course).

Nintendo's new controller is only one thing: Clever

They have managed to merge a light gun, standard analog controller, standard nes pad, fishing controller, etc etc all into one. Thats great. That is an interesting parlor trick. And for the people mentioned in the first paragraph, and the monkey, this new controller will be great for them.

However it will not be good for me. See, I actually play video games. I know that an NES pad is best for playing mario, and a light gun is best for lightgun games, and a fishing controller is best for fishing games. I don't want to use a remote control that half-asses all of those processes.

I also certaintly don't want to take the remote and slide it into some contraption, so its "kind of" like a gamecube controller.

I congratulate Nintendo on creating a new controller that will venture into "untapped market potential". However I am dissapointed that they might be alienating people like me, who feel that a controller with an analog stick, d-pad, and face buttons is a perfect way to play a video game.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    One thing that I hope they do, in regards to the whole Virtual Console question, is have controllers available seperately, that look identical to the original NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube controllers, but be wireless and work well with the Revolution. They would basically be imitations of the real controllers for those old systems, but they would be sold seperately for like $19.99 each. Or maybe $24.99. So it's almost like they would be selling systems again, via these controllers.
    Excellent idea. I would love this.

As for whether the remote control style stick concerns me - it totally does. While I think using the stick would be pretty fun at first, I imagine you'd get sick of it pretty fast. I can imagine a game like Luigi's Mansion being greatly improved using that stick (point where you want to vaccuum), but other game types... not so much. Like a baseball game. Using it to pretend swing is a neat idea, but I'd feel pretty silly pretty quickly. Not only that, but I imagine your arm would get pretty tired always having it pointing at the screen.

Although if it looks the same as it does now when its released, it'll make a great NES controller just by turning it sideways.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think Nintendo has to do all it can to convince people that the wand is the only way to play.

If they come out with the wand, then bend over backwards making sure you don't have to use it, all they are left with is a regular console that is less powerful and (probably) has fewer games than the competition. It will be Gamecube 1.5.

I'm hopeful and looking forward to trying this out.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My biggest concern is that it won't work very well on smaller tvs, like mine.