Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help identifying famicom games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default help identifying famicom games

alrighty, i have the issues with my adaptor seemingly worked out, now i need help identifying some of the games i got in this lot. i'd appreciate the help of any of you import pros out there. aside from the adaptor, spy hunter, and ninja ryukenden, i really have no idea what these games are. oh ya, big thanks to i.spotdeals for the lot. cheers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Alright, a few questions for you:

Are you using a toploader or a toaster?

I know sometimes the carts have to be put in what looks like upside down, have you tried that?

Lastly, sometimes those things just need a good push to get them in all the way.

if you can, post pics of the converter, that may be of help to others and myself. Hope everything works out for you.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got a toaster, i haven't tried the upside down thing yet, i'll go give it a shot, and if it doesn't seem to work, i'll get on top of some pics right quick here.

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah if you're using a nes, make sure the label of the famicom game is facing down, not up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, flipping the games over seems to work, i can't get many of them to fire up, but i suspect thats nothing a little cleanup won;t fix. thanks for the tip.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

editted, with pics added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Let's see....

Top row-generic NES to FC converter, don't know, don't know, pirate copy of The Goonies

Row 2-Spy Hunter (looks like a pirate), don't know, don't know, don't know

Row 3-Hitler no Fukkatsu (Japanese version of Bionic Commando), don't know, Ninja Gaiden, pirate copy of Zelda 1

Row 4-pirate copy of Contra
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Goodness, a copy of Zelda in a Taito style case. Oops!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

You rang Mrs. Addams? This thread here was similar, I had all but one of them pegged (I bought them) so let's see if I can continue the streak...

First those converters use the pirate methods for getting around the 10NES lockout chip (like the Wisdom Tree games, etc. all non-Tengen unlicensed NES games have some scramble trick) so that's why you may have some problems. In this thread I posted about the converts I build using actual Nintendo parts.

Now, concerning what you have, starting in the upper left going to the right, then the next row left to right, etc. That "Cri" looking shell design is a pirate design by the way.

ROW 1...

Pirate Famicom to NES adapter.

Pirate version of Final Lap. The original is in a Namcot shell and has different artwork.

Wagyan Land / Wagan Land, has the Namcot sticker on the front, nice condition.

Pirate version of The Goonies. The label on the pirate is using a scan of the box art instead of a repro of the cartridge label, it's also the incorrect shell.

ROW 2...

Pirate of Spy Hunter.

Saiyuuki World, the second of these games was turned into Whomp 'Em on the NES.

(Anime characters) Unknown, but it's an official cartridge.

Pirate of Nagagutsu wo Haita Neko, Puss N Boots Pero's Great Adventure on the NES. Incorrect case (bootleg Taito design) and label.

ROW 3...

Hitler no Fukkatsu, known as Bionic Commando in the US. Don't let people tell you this is pirated!! It's an official cart and one of my favorite Famicom label designs.

Pirate 99999x in 1 multicart. May have some original fighting pirates (Street Fighter, King of Fighters, etc.)

Ninja Ryukenden, Ninja Gaiden on the NES. I believe this is an official cart but haven't seen one in awhile.

Pirate of The Hyrule Fantasy Zelda no Densetsu, The Legend of Zelda on the NES. Again, incorrect case (bootleg Taito design) is the first giveaway.

ROW 4...

Decent pirate of Contra (Japanese version has improved graphics and cutscenes). This is not an official cartridge since the official cart has a label that goes all the way up and over the spine, as well as a Konami copyright text below the Contra logo and an identification number on the lower right. Also the wrong cartridge shell, again the official one has space for the sticker to go up over the top.

Nothing worth much but the pirates could be just a bootleg of the original game which is still 100% enjoyable. Then again sometimes there are bugs in them. Let us know and please contact me if you decide to sell any of them. (I'm beginning to set up examples of the pirate to the originals)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Hitler no Fukkatsu, known as Bionic Commando in the US. Don't let people tell you this is pirated!! It's an official cart and one of my favorite Famicom label designs.
    Why would anyone call it pirated? It has the Capcom product code, the Nintendo Family Computer text, and all the other trimmings of an official Capcom cartridge for the FC.

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    Why would anyone call it pirated? It has the Capcom product code, the Nintendo Family Computer text, and all the other trimmings of an official Capcom cartridge for the FC.
    I've come across many, many, many places that have noted that as a Brazilian pirate cartridge. Besides, in the first thread I linked half a dozen people were saying ALL the carts in question were pirates when only the SMB cart (which was a Wrecking Crew pirate) actually was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

I've come across many, many, many places that have noted that as a Brazilian pirate cartridge.
    Because Brazil was such a hotbed for Nazi activi....oh. Nevermind.

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I've come across many, many, many places that have noted that as a Brazilian pirate cartridge.
    More like Brazil is a hotbed for pirate cartridges. Geez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

More like Brazil is a hotbed for pirate cartridges. Geez.
    I was referring to South America as a popular post-World War II vacation spot for the Nazis.

Apparently, my sense of humor is lost on the masses.

My sale thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, you're the man david, that takes care of most of the list that i still didn't know. i'm not really concerned about the value, as i think i got a pretty good deal on the games. i don't think i'll be looking to trtade or sell any time soon, but i assure you they'll be sold on the forums if they do come up. thanks for the help, as for now i'm off to pump out some ninja ryukenden. booya...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeblunts
    well, you're the man david, that takes care of most of the list that i still didn't know.
    No problem at all, I swear I've seen that one I can't identify somewhere... bah, just not coming to mind. Can't believe I didn't recongize Saiyuuki World at first.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The white cart with the anime characters on the cover is Kame no Ongaeshi - Urashima Densetsu, which was actually released here as Xexyz believe it or not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, i don't know what's up, i can't seem to get any of these games to play in my machine at the moment. i gave the carts and adaptor a good cleaning. i'm starting to think the adaptor just sucks. i'm just using a plain old toaster-model nes, ad when i fire it up the games start screens seem to show up for a split second on the screen then flash off, the same way a plain old dirty cart might. is this what would happen in the event of some sort of lockout? am i gonna have to build myself an adaptor, or get a btter one to get these to play, or will my machine just straight up not play them for some reason? or am i looking at an entirely different problem here? i mean it seems liek data is making it's way through, it just doesn't seem to want to startup at all. i'm starting to get frustrated here, i'd rather not have to buy a famicom to play my imports if i don't have to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeblunts
    ok, i don't know what's up, i can't seem to get any of these games to play in my machine at the moment. i gave the carts and adaptor a good cleaning. i'm starting to think the adaptor just sucks. i'm just using a plain old toaster-model nes, ad when i fire it up the games start screens seem to show up for a split second on the screen then flash off, the same way a plain old dirty cart might. is this what would happen in the event of some sort of lockout? am i gonna have to build myself an adaptor, or get a btter one to get these to play, or will my machine just straight up not play them for some reason? or am i looking at an entirely different problem here? i mean it seems liek data is making it's way through, it just doesn't seem to want to startup at all. i'm starting to get frustrated here, i'd rather not have to buy a famicom to play my imports if i don't have to.
    It's a problem with the converter. The 10NES lockout chip works by comparing it's data against a matching chip in a commercially licensed NES game. The two chips compare their data and when the proper data is passed between the two, the game loads. Pirate stuff usually sends varying voltages to the 10NES chip in the NES in an attempt to tie it up until the game loads, where it won't have any work to do. Famicom games don't have these chips, that's why there needs to be one in the converter.

Yup, build your own for the best compatibility. Using an early version NES cart (with the converter hardware inside) you can build one that uses an official 10NES lockout chip. You can find an editorial on how I make mine here...

http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/

Click "Editorials" on the left (it'll be at the top). "Gyromite and Famicom Converters"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

just so you know the hitler no Fukkatsu is a rather hard to find and pricy game (so don't let someone screw you out of it cheap) its the japanese version of bionic commando with alot of differneces,