Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hardest Mario Game to complete?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just can't think of Super Mario RPG as being particularly "long". It's probably one of the shortest RPGs Square ever released for the Super NES. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is probably twice as long.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    Has anybody actually completed Super Mario Sunshine? I've beaten it, but I've never actually gotten all the stars or anything. I'd think that beating the game and getting all the stars would take a really long time, but it wouldn't necassarily be all that hard.
    I did, it took me forever to get every blue coin, you don't really get anything for getting all 120 stars either, which is a bummer, but I figured I owed it to the series to go back and beat Sunshine 100%.

For that reason alone I'll say Super Mario Sunshine it the most difficult, it just takes a long time, unlike Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World which can be completed with trial and error, Sunshine actually involves puzzles and hunting around for things.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    Do you think if Super Mario 2 (J) was released on the NES. Would the US Market for Mario be changed or no effect at all?
    No effect. It would have been accepted just fine, even with the difficulty. Back then it would have done just as well as the other Mario sequels. It is a real shame we never got it here proper. I haven't had a chance to play it other than through emulation or the All Stars version, so I am reserving judgment. Though I do believe it is the hardest. Would love to get a repro.

Mario Bros. is standing next to the original SMB2 though for me. I know it is a single screen score attack, but the way Mario and Luigi control makes it maddening.

Sunshine is the next in line for me, due more to the fact that I just lost interest so I never completed it. Not caring makes a Mario game much more difficult.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    I just can't think of Super Mario RPG as being particularly "long". It's probably one of the shortest RPGs Square ever released for the Super NES. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is probably twice as long.
    I haven't played the new RPG's, and I know Square has released longer RPGs, but Super Mario RPG is tons long compared to any other pre-N64 Mario game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, I think I'd put it right around with SMW as far as length goes. (Not so much Yoshi's Island; the linearity of that one didn't really add to its length.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The lost levels were easy , I kinda got good cause your can replay each level alot on the gbc version. I love that game and beaten every single level.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I think I'd put it right around with SMW as far as length goes. (Not so much Yoshi's Island; the linearity of that one didn't really add to its length.)
    SMW - You mean clearing all 96 levels? I dunno, I beat it in 6 hours, taking my time. I beat the 10/11-level way in 30 minutes. I guess it doesn't take much time with practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

SMB 1 was always the hardest for me. I've beaten it probably 3 times before, where as 2 and 3 I've beaten at least 15 times.

Super Mario World comes in at a close 2nd hardest for me. Damn sunken ship level.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say Super Mario Bros. Special on the PC-88, but that's just to poor design. The whole flip screen setup (no scrolling) makes it quite easy to die from falling into holes you didn't even know were there (unless you memorize the level) and you get so little time to finish a level that you literally have to run through. All of the Hudson designed Mario games are really difficult, come to think of it.

Of the Nintendo ones, I'd have to go with SMB2 as well.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mario Sunshine. Aka "I came, I saw, I cried in frustration". Who designed this game? It doesn't even feel like a Miyamoto original, it went from fun to "Here, hold my beer and watch this shit!"
    It isn't a Miyamoto original, iirc. Miyamoto produced it, I think, but it was really directed by and conceived by and entirely different person. I *think* it was Aonuma, but I could be wrong. He is basically Miyamoto's successor for the directing chair on many titles. Miyamoto is head of production now. Aonuma rarely has to run too much by Miyamoto nowadays, as Miyamoto thinks of him as an equal creatively and mostly just gives him free reign to do what he wants.

Please correct me if it is not Aonuma...my memory is a bit fuzzy this Monday.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

And how, exactly, does won win on the slot machine? No magic trick to it, I'd say. (I'd also like to point out that this game is substantially easier in All Stars; the slot machine is entirely revised, and you can select a new character every time you die.)

It's really hard to explain without actually showing you. Just yesterday, I had a girl in my room and we were playing Super Mario Bros. 2. She got 5 coins in the level she was playing (which caused her to have 5 chances at the slot machine). She played the first and second slot, and she didn't get any lives. Then, I told her that I could get a life, every time no-matter what.
    Again, its really hard to describe, but I'll do my best. You need to press 'A' like 1 second after the thing starts spinning. Not right after the thing starts, but exactly 1 second after it starts. By doing that, you'll get a cherry and an automatic free-life. Getting the next two cherries isn't as easy, but if you get 2- or 3-cherries, you'll be swimming in lives. Getting the next two cherries in sequence can't even be described, its just a trick you need to learn from playing it so much.
    I used to use this trick in SMB 2 to rack up well over 100 lives, the lives display as alphabet number (E3, B9,etc) once over 99 lives, I can't seem to accomplish this many lives these days as I think taking a break from it ruined my timing. I think I once racked up at least 200 lives from continously getting 3 cherries per coin on a consistent basis.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well...the only Mario title I have ever completed is Mario Land 2 for Game boy

Excellent game though

@Jorpho: That's what I was implying, dumbass.
    Last edited by Doonzmore; 11-03-2021 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore
    Well...the only Mario title i have ever completed is Mario Land 2 for Game boy

Excellent game though
    Yeah, excellent game, crisp graphics, nifty concepts and all that, but I think it qualifies for the easiest Mario game.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is totally embarrassing, being that DP is a classic gaming site.......but I can't even finish the original Mario game on NES. It kicks my ass every time.

Mario 64? 100% completion, no sweat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again, its really hard to describe, but I'll do my best. You need to press 'A' like 1 second after the thing starts spinning. Not right after the thing starts, but exactly 1 second after it starts. By doing that, you'll get a cherry and an automatic free-life. Getting the next two cherries isn't as easy, but if you get 2- or 3-cherries, you'll be swimming in lives. Getting the next two cherries in sequence can't even be described, its just a trick you need to learn from playing it so much.
    Sounds like superstition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign

And how, exactly, does won win on the slot machine? No magic trick to it, I'd say. (I'd also like to point out that this game is substantially easier in All Stars; the slot machine is entirely revised, and you can select a new character every time you die.)

It's really hard to explain without actually showing you. Just yesterday, I had a girl in my room and we were playing Super Mario Bros. 2. She got 5 coins in the level she was playing (which caused her to have 5 chances at the slot machine). She played the first and second slot, and she didn't get any lives. Then, I told her that I could get a life, every time no-matter what.
    I used to use this trick in SMB 2 to rack up well over 100 lives, the lives display as alphabet number (E3, B9,etc) once over 99 lives, I can't seem to accomplish this many lives these days as I think taking a break from it ruined my timing. I think I once racked up at least 200 lives from continously getting 3 cherries per coin on a consistent basis.
    See

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used to always be able to get the first cherry. The second cherry was a 1/5 to 1/8 thing. The third one was rare, but there was definitely a pattern behind it. It's not that hard to find the rhythm to do it. It's certainly not random chance like real slot machines. Though technically, I think the machine in SMB2 is a pachislo machine...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easily SMB 2 Japan. Has 5 times the difficulty as SMB1 by comparison. If you play SMB3 without using p wings or clouds, it is pretty difficult as well, but no where near as hard as SMB2 Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander
    I'd say Super Mario Bros. Special on the PC-88, but that's just to poor design.......
    If that even counts...I played like 3 minutes of that thing on an emulator and gave up.

For me it is SMB1, though I have beaten it many times. I know the SMB2J would be the hardest hands down (excluding that PC-88 junk). The all-stars version of the game I know is watered down just from playing all-stars SMB1 on it. It is so easy to do the turtle trick in SMB1/SMB2J in all-stars, whereas I've been able to do it twice in 3-1 my entire life on the NES version. It's easier to jump over the damn flagpole than it is to do that 1-up trick I swear. The all-stars version also controls alot better, which is what makes it easier. SMB1 (assuming SMB2J also) has sluggish controls.

I agree with the slot machines for SMB2USA. As said before, once you get a cherry in the first slot...start hitting the button like a madman and most of the time the cherry will be the first one again. It's even easier on all-stars version. First they give you the 777 which is 10 lives IIRC, and it is really easy to master the all-stars slot machine (I could probably get 777 8/10 times right now). I never thought that SMB2USA was all that difficult though.

SMB3 is easy for me. Then again, I have the entire game practically memorized, and can pull off 99 life tricks in at least 3 or 4 spots in the game. I always thought level 7 was the hardest though.

SMW is easy for me. Yoshi's Island is just cakewalk (never tried to 100% it though). Never played SM64 or Sunshine for more than a few minutes. Never played the GB titles that much either.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    Quote Originally Posted by blue lander
    I'd say Super Mario Bros. Special on the PC-88, but that's just to poor design.......
    If that even counts...I played like 3 minutes of that thing on an emulator and gave up.
    It's no easier on a real PC-88. It's just difficult by incompetence. Mario Bros. Special and Kickball Mario Bros., Hudson's two other Mario games, are much more playable. Hudson also made a version of Excite Bike, but I haven't played it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    SMB2 Japan. Its fully do able of course, but its one of the hardest imo.
    Yes, specifically the FDS version. Very tough.
    It's different from the (eventually released) FC cartridge version?