Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 8MB Memory Card 2-Pack

I've been watching the price of this item for quite some time.

One would assume that since this product was released at about the same time as the PS2's launch, that it's price would have significantly drop. Yet that is not the case, for I still see it going for $30-40 at places such as Wal-mart or Best Buy. Is this item rare? Has the plastic it's made out-of been discontinued, or something? Or is it just because you get two insted of one of the item in a different color(s) [this factor I kind of doubt, since regular black memory cards typically go for much less now.]?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont know any of those answers, but I really wish Sony would've just made like, a 20 or 30 meg card. I've filled up one card, and I'm about to fill up another. 2 cards are pretty easy to deal with, but 3 is going to be a pain in the ass.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, they aren't selling the double packs any more. Amazon hasn't had them for a long time. The cheapest I've ever found them was £15 for a single card, or £25 for the double pack. I'm onto my third card now. I bought the double pack 18 months ago and sold one to a friend for £13. I should probably have kept that one, but I didn't see myself owning this many games a year later.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    I dont know any of those answers, but I really wish Sony would've just made like, a 20 or 30 meg card. I've filled up one card, and I'm about to fill up another. 2 cards are pretty easy to deal with, but 3 is going to be a pain in the ass.
    Its sure is. I have such a hard time finding my damn saves. I tryed to organize the cards but that didn't help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I see both these and the black ones quite often. The original black ones for $25, the two packs for $40.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

That's the exact pack I bought when I first got my PS2. 2 years later an I'm just now getting close to filling them both up.At the time it was a good deal I guess, atleast for 2 official memory cards.

That reminds me, I should really look through my cards and try to clean them up a bit.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, what a coincidence..... I just ran into this problem when i got my used ps2 w/o a memory card! i didnt wanna shell out $25 for what seemed to be an overpriced, money making accessory... tried going 3rd party but they arent as prevalent as they were for the ps1... then:

I read in some messag boards some complaints that seem quite valid....

The cost of memory has fallen over the last few years, yet sony keeps these memory cards at the same price basically because of the Magicgate encryption technology [sic?] ... its supposed to be harder to develop 3rd party memory cards for the ps2 and some 3rd party cards require a boot disc [or used to] in order to work... protectionism? yup yup yup

now i have a newfound respect for madcatz, at least they bring down the cost of memory cards ! GC memory cards are on their page for $5 ! beat that Nintendo!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wait, i forgot to add, I finally solved the memory problem. Signed up for a credit card at citicards.com and got a $100 gift card and bought the blue red sony memory pack! yay me . If you want the blue memory card, basically unused, ill sell it for $15.50 shipped. PM me if your interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've filled up one, and have another on back up. Nothing is on it yet though as I have only been playing Guitar Hero and not started any new games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS2 Memory Cards come with two different stickers, both for the front and top-side, so what's the big trouble with organization? If you fear for the sticker's value, just write something on a clear peice of tape, as it hardly ever leaves residue. Other than that I'd just put the memory card in and find out which saves are which. For me this is no problem, since I use my second PS2 mem card as a backup.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

The prices wont drop for a long time. The accessories is where they really make their money when it comes to systems. They'll stay high(er) until the PS2 is pretty well dead before they drop in price. That being said, just go to a GameStop/EB and pick up some branded color cards as I tend to see bunches of them in all the stores. Save a few bucks and get legit cards. Win-win if you ask me.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i also cant wait till your able to walk into any gamestop/EB and pick up a ps2 memory card for 1.99, the same way you can for ps1 cards.. i just go there and stock up on the ps1 ones!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0
    I see both these and the black ones quite often. The original black ones for $25, the two packs for $40.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    The prices wont drop for a long time. The accessories is where they really make their money when it comes to systems. They'll stay high(er) until the PS2 is pretty well dead before they drop in price. That being said, just go to a GameStop/EB and pick up some branded color cards as I tend to see bunches of them in all the stores. Save a few bucks and get legit cards. Win-win if you ask me.
    Both spot-on.

You could always try the FFXI HDD bundle...you can copy your saves to it and never have to buy another memory card again, or worry about losing one or something like that. Plus, you'd always have a backup of your saves right there on the system.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    I agree. There's no reason for Sony to mark down memory cards for the PS2 while it's still thier top of the line system. After the PS3 has been out awhile, I think these cards will take a price dive. I have to look real hard, but occasionaly I run across used Sony PS2 cards at Blockbuster's GameRush for $8 apiece. You might try looking there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    You could always try the FFXI HDD bundle...you can copy your saves to it and never have to buy another memory card again, or worry about losing one or something like that. Plus, you'd always have a backup of your saves right there on the system.
    What do those hard drives go for? A cheaper solution might be the Datel Max Drive USB memory key. They list for $29.99, but I see them on Ebay for $15.00 all the time. There is a boot disc needed for the PS2 to copy your game saves onto the USB key. Then you plug it into your computer and use the software you've installed to store and manage it. You can add cheat codes and reverse the process to put them back onto your memory card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

I bought that pack at that price ages ago, when I lost my original memory card and needed a replacement, and then i found the old one. 3 memory cards? Hah, i have about 6 just sitting around, though i have more(3ps2, 3GC, 2 ps1, and some others)
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    What do those hard drives go for? A cheaper solution might be the Datel Max Drive USB memory key. They list for $29.99, but I see them on Ebay for $15.00 all the time. There is a boot disc needed for the PS2 to copy your game saves onto the USB key. Then you plug it into your computer and use the software you've installed to store and manage it. You can add cheat codes and reverse the process to put them back onto your memory card.
    Well, I see some leftovers around these parts for $70-80. Still not cheap at all for a 40GB HDD, but then again, it's got FFXI on it too, so that's where the cost goes.

I wonder if the Sony HDD software is compatible with other HDDs...
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't think they're rare, but those are the memory cards i have for my PS2, and i haven't had any problems with them, ever. I don't play PS2 much, so the cards still have loads of room on them.