Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DP Members: Beware of the "Scam-and-Burn"

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I was just over at rfgeneration at saw that Donut has stuff for sale, mostly the same type stuff he had listed here under that "secret identity". I dropped a post in the thread basically stating that I would find it hard to deal with him after all the bs over here. I then asked if he would ship first.
    Let's see what, if any, response he gives...
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For what it is worth. It is all about integrity. Regardless of the reasons. No other business would tolerate this. I think the term is called shill (creating a false identity in order to manipulate).

This is a good life lesson. No matter how much you think you can get over no matter how tempting it is to be deceitful you never really know who's watching.

NiNtEnDoNuT1983 crossed the line and got called on it.
    Good job Berserker.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! (realize I'm chiming in a bit late), I haven't traded with Nintendo Donut boy before but would have done so without hesitation. Just tell me, who wouldn't trust a racoon mario, wiith that cute little tail and all? You wouldn't? Well, maybe I would have my doubts if it were mario in the tanooki suit...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdiesel
    Well, I was just over at rfgeneration at saw that Donut has stuff for sale, mostly the same type stuff he had listed here under that "secret identity". I dropped a post in the thread basically stating that I would find it hard to deal with him after all the bs over here. I then asked if he would ship first.
    Let's see what, if any, response he gives...
    He said he would.

I think this thread is funny as hell.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

First off, excellent work Berserker, and on behalf of the entire DP community thank you for being vigilant and protecting all of us.

For those of you that feel that Nintendonut really didn't plan to scam anyone in the end, consider his actions when confronted in the thread by Berserker.

Denial and coverup. Had he simply come clean at that time, who knows maybe this whole thing goes in a different direction, but his reaction clearly shows what his intentions were.

Consider also that had his intentions trully been what he said they were, don't you think he'd be much more likely to recieve serious feedback, and thus be more likely able to determine these games true value, by posting as a recognized user with an established rep on DP?

There are many veteran collectors on this board that are too savvy, and are not going to give a n00b like this the time of day on the games he was offering.

Make the same offer as a reputable (certainly moreso than as a complete n00b) member of DP and you're going to see alot more people come out of the woodwork.

His actions are contrary to what his stated intent was, no question the right decision was taken.

Everyone here that does business in the B&S forum can feel even more secure now knowing that we have this caliber of people minding the store for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    After reading Berserker's latest post, there isn't a doubt in my mind that he was trying to scam people, and thus, the actions taken are 100% justified to me.
    1. For the purpose of recanting my previous statement in this thread, I couldn't have said it any better than Jumpman did. 100% in agreement.

2. I thought I was alone on the Ninten-Donut thing, but apparently *really* not.

3. Anybody else surprised by the fact that he's not some 14 year old spoiled rich kid with Daddy's credit card? Because that was my first impression, what with the spelling and all. Irrelevant, I suppose, however.

That is all. Thanks again, Berserker.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Newbs

In looking over the comments about members not taking a chance on newbs, by being so paranoid about being scammed by posters with little or no feedback or low post-counts, one also runs the risk of totally missing out on finding new reliable and honest traders/sellers as well. I personally don't do alot of posting, but when I first started replying to a few WTB posts, an established member of this board "took a chance" on me as a total newb. (at that time, I had NO feedback, and maybe about 4 posts) But, as a result, over the next few months he ended up buying literally thousands of $ worth of additional classic games from me. Similarly, when I started my own selling thread last year, a few others took a chance and ended up glad that they did. I'm not saying one should not be reasonably cautious <insert George Bush Sr. "prudent" quote here>, but if nobody ever trusted anyone, there would never be any trading/buying/selling going on at all. It's like the "real" world in the sense that the only way to become established at something is for someone to give you a chance. Anyways, that's my two-cents worth on that...
    I'd also like to thank Berserker for the good detective-work; it's nice to know you guys are out there keeping this board the cool place that it is.
    47 years young ---
    Favorite game genres: 2D games, classic/puzzle, golfing games. No longer collecting games...

My Feedback:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81369

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This really has nothing to do with the thread but doesn't everyone remember they where a "noob" once.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice work, Berserker.

Let this thread be a warning to all scammers (and scammer wanna-bes).
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very well said. Not only do I understand what you're trying to say, I couldn't agree more.

I just for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would care what anonymous others on a forum think.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise
    For what it's worth…

I can understand if he was trying to sell the games "on the downlow" as he perceived he might damage his credibility, whatever it actually was. It can be painful having to walk away from a passion that you love under non-optimal circumstances so leaving with a degree of anonymity can help soften the blow.

So many people come into this hobby, like any other, rack up thousands and thousands in debt to try to try and “play with the big boys”. After the realization of what they’ve done sets in, they end up dumping their collection when they realize they can’t sustain it.

I don’t know if this is NintendoNut’s scenario or not, but regardless, it can be embarrassing to a degree to make some name for yourself as a collector, then be forced to turn your back on it for whatever reason. Most people who dump their collections on boards like these subsequently leave and never come back. But some may want to stick around as gamers or enthusiasts and still participate in discussions. And as such, they might feel that they’re somehow less worthy to be around, or at least fear they’ll be perceived as such.

I don’t know if I’m expressing this correctly, it’s still kind of muddled in my mind, but I just want to say there IS a logic behind his actions if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn’t mean to rip anyone off.

I actually considered these things when I put up my Myriad and RacerMate but the reasons for me listing it weren’t necessarily financial, but more of a self-sacrifice given the circumstances surrounding their sale.

Ultimately though, in my opinion, I doubt he would have attempted to rip anyone off. After all, simply posting your items under a different user account doesn't make a scam in and of itself. He would still need set up a system to allow him to receive payment without revealing himself completely. Not to mention, over items like that, you can be assured mail fraud would come into play if there was a non-completed transaction.

I’m the first to sound the horns when I detect bullshit around here. I love these forums. I really do. You guys, by and large, are a great bunch and it pains me when we get gamefaqs kiddies around here, spammers, scammers, and idiots in general. But I think that we may have gone too far in this case without knowing all the facts. While I do realize you can only go so far when you take someone at their word, this may have been a literal witchhunt to hold an example up for the people who really do want to rip people off.

And for what it's worth, NintendoNut was one of the highest offers on my Myriad, but we couldn't agree on a price I could accept. Shortly after that transaction fell apart he began to sell parts of his collection. Related? Dunno. But it might be relevant to this conversation.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually don't buy or sell on here (but I have in the past), so I didn't see this thread until now.

I just wanted to say nice one Beserker.

Oh, and I always read his user name as Ninten Donut too. (bastard)
    Kirby's my bitch!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although Berserker's detetive work was great, I don't necesarily agree with the whole "ban him" thing. As long as he sends first to other people who cares?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh and BTW his myspace would make baby jesus cry.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2 cents

I'm relatively new to the boards, so I just want to say:

1. I've dealt with Nintendonut on NESWORLD with success before, and until now I had an 'anything goes after one trade' mentality. Now I know how foolish that idea is and how it invites a scam.

2. I'm glad people keep a close eye on things, it keeps us all safer. If others see the royal slam you get from just trying something shady, more scammers will go elsewhere.

Many thanks, keep up the good work.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess this all answers why he hasn't been responding to me recently. I had a sale worked out with him for 104 empty NES boxes. He always seemed like a standup guy, but desperate times evidentally called for desperate measures.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just stumbled upon this thread as I haven't been to the site in awhile. I've held some chats with this dude due to the fact that I noticed we live in the same small town. Never met the kid tho...but for the right price I'd be glad to shake him down.

But seriously I'd be fine with paying him a visit if he has robbed any DP member of some real hard cash...it is easier to get the point across when you are staring at someone face to face.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Post count or service time?

I am appreciative that moderators take the initiative to nip scams in the bud. However, it leads to people like me getting lumped in with scammers. I'm reading post after post from people who won't buy from users with less service time or posts than them. I'm going to be honest with you. It'd take me forever to make it to 1,000 posts or even 500.

If I were to spend all day on the other forums piling up posts, I'd end up getting addicted to these message boards and spending too much time checking posts I've written in that I would never get anything accomplished. I work two jobs and that doesn't even include freelance writing. This stuff keeps me busy 50 hours a week or more. I hardly get enough sleep as it is x_x

There IS a big difference between a guy who is a scammer and someone else who has other things that must come first in his life. I've had three user names (including this one) here since 2000. The other two names were shut down due to inactivity since I lost interest or never had time to keep up.

I've never been banned. The other two names had somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 posts, combined, along with a trading history of their own (nobody ripped off or burned). At the time, I was living on a college campus, wasn't working (just going to class) and had nothing else going on and was able to sit around for hours on end reading and posting on these boards. Times are different now.

I mean, what am I or someone else in a similar situation supposed to do?

When you are not careful, you end up getting to the point where a perfectly good gamer or collector who comes here for the first time wonders why they should bother integrating themselves into the DP community if they can't get a fair shake in a deal.

That means there is less stuff to go around for everybody and people are less likely to find things they need, unless they happen to know it will show up on Ebay, Atari Age or some online store on any given day. You can only trade/deal with your "close friends" or "family" for so long.

As for comments about how having 100% feedback on Ebay basically "means nothing", it makes you wonder what is the point of maintaining a clean record on Ebay if 9 out of 10 people are still going to be wary of doing business with you, because they assume you sold junk for mere pennies to pad your rating so you can later rip people off for big money.

I guess my point in this long winded diatribe is that when buyers get scammed by people, they are not the only ones to suffer. Other sellers do, too, since it gives us a bad rap or even drives down the prices we can sell stuff for (if we even get a decent number of sales, at all).

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It's caveat emptor in all deals, even ones with good feedback. I've seen good people turn bad in the past on eBay for example (and once or twice on here I think). That's just my view of things.

Personally people should come to DP to discuss games primarily. The buying/selling part should be secondary imo. I know a few get annoyed with some users only here for the trade side of things, but there's nothing wrong with that so it's not like we can stop everyone from selling unless they've accrued XXX number of posts.

If you can get some feedback going here, then that helps. Moreso outside feedback at other boards and eBay. If people are not buying because they are scared of being ripped off... well that's their problem and not yours, so don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    [09:31] Sensei Fu: If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck.. etc.
    What exactly does a Duck smell like?

BTW Great job rooting out this scammer/meathead. Better than CSI.