Thread: DP Members: Beware of the "Scam-and-Burn"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

For what it's worth…

I can understand if he was trying to sell the games "on the downlow" as he perceived he might damage his credibility, whatever it actually was. It can be painful having to walk away from a passion that you love under non-optimal circumstances so leaving with a degree of anonymity can help soften the blow.

So many people come into this hobby, like any other, rack up thousands and thousands in debt to try to try and “play with the big boys”. After the realization of what they’ve done sets in, they end up dumping their collection when they realize they can’t sustain it.

I don’t know if this is NintendoNut’s scenario or not, but regardless, it can be embarrassing to a degree to make some name for yourself as a collector, then be forced to turn your back on it for whatever reason. Most people who dump their collections on boards like these subsequently leave and never come back. But some may want to stick around as gamers or enthusiasts and still participate in discussions. And as such, they might feel that they’re somehow less worthy to be around, or at least fear they’ll be perceived as such.

I don’t know if I’m expressing this correctly, it’s still kind of muddled in my mind, but I just want to say there IS a logic behind his actions if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn’t mean to rip anyone off.

I actually considered these things when I put up my Myriad and RacerMate but the reasons for me listing it weren’t necessarily financial, but more of a self-sacrifice given the circumstances surrounding their sale.

Ultimately though, in my opinion, I doubt he would have attempted to rip anyone off. After all, simply posting your items under a different user account doesn't make a scam in and of itself. He would still need set up a system to allow him to receive payment without revealing himself completely. Not to mention, over items like that, you can be assured mail fraud would come into play if there was a non-completed transaction.

I’m the first to sound the horns when I detect bullshit around here. I love these forums. I really do. You guys, by and large, are a great bunch and it pains me when we get gamefaqs kiddies around here, spammers, scammers, and idiots in general. But I think that we may have gone too far in this case without knowing all the facts. While I do realize you can only go so far when you take someone at their word, this may have been a literal witchhunt to hold an example up for the people who really do want to rip people off.

And for what it's worth, NintendoNut was one of the highest offers on my Myriad, but we couldn't agree on a price I could accept. Shortly after that transaction fell apart he began to sell parts of his collection. Related? Dunno. But it might be relevant to this conversation.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still though he should have been honest in any event.

Replying to his own message in a buy/sell thread just raises eyebrows.

He should have just said something like, "Listen I'm just curious what types prices I could get, I'm not looking to sell".

Nothing beats honesty.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Deceiving the entire forum membership by pretending to be another forum member to sell something will NOT be tolerated.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the words of Bender from Futurama: My entire perception of reality just got turned upside down.
    Well, not really. But sort of. As soon as me_good39 posted in the Buying and Selling forum wanting to sell his Flinstones 2, I knew something was up. Origionally I thought it would be just a scammer trying to make a quick buck, and I was suprised at how many people actually would have been willing to buy something from him.
    Then, I read Berserker's post about how this person is actually a fairly reputable seller/buyer on DP and I'm pretty shocked, but I'm more curious to who it is. My first instinct was that it was NintendoNut simply because I knew he had a Flinstones 2 and because he hasn't really been here all that long.
    Then, I read this thread and my hat goes off to Berserker for this amazing detective work. It's mods like this that enable us to have a good community of gamers. Good work.
    However, I don't particularilly beleive that he was actually trying to scam anybody. I sort of agree with what he said about people ripping on his threads for selling his stuff, especially after the U-Force thing.
    In any event, one thing good that came out of this is that my biggest competition for buying NES stuff is now off of the boards :P.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the whole time i thought it was panesian as i know he is getting out of collecting. looks as if panesian has now posted in the B&S thread.

anyways, good work! Anybody who attempts to fuck with me on games will get a boot in the ass if i ever meet you.

And it just so happens that was my old flintstones 2 he was attempting to resell.

thanks for keeping our community safe berseker.

-Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GimmeSomeReggae

Quote Originally Posted by ckendal
    In case anyone wants to get a laugh out of his myspace.com page. Here you go.

NiNtEnDoNuT1983

I guess he was trying to con us all so he could 'smoke!'
    Good god.

That page makes me want to punch a baby.

-A Boy
    Hmph.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for keeping order in the ranks.

Ken

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So he made a mistake and posted in his own thread so it look "shady". I don't think he was trying to rip anyone off.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    So he made a mistake and posted in his own thread so it look "shady". I don't think he was trying to rip anyone off.
    I don't think he was trying to rip anyone off either...

He, however, violated the trust and respect of everyone that deals here on a weekly basis.

He states that he is an "honest" guy when trading and selling (and i don't doubt that), but he isn't an honest guy when it comes to being upfront about what he is selling. That is why I will not deal with him again.

-Josh

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    I don't particularilly beleive that he was actually trying to scam anybody. I sort of agree with what he said about people ripping on his threads for selling his stuff, especially after the U-Force thing.
    In any event, one thing good that came out of this is that my biggest competition for buying NES stuff is now off of the boards :P.
    IMO,

I also dont believe he was trying to scam people. The fact that he asked for the thread to be closed and probably didnt take people's offers on these games is proof.

Do we have anybody here who actually made an offer and got an answer back form him?

I also agree that people on forums tend to rip on threads and act like jerks to certain members for the stupidest of reasons.

I do give Berzerker "props" for his P.I. skills , but I dont think NintendoNut was out to scam anyone... Just looking for prices. He shouldn't have resorted to this method to get a price check though :/ And just so he knows, I am sure there are plenty of guys here at DP or www.rfgeneration.com that would gladly have given him the information.

- Rick

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by ckendal
    In case anyone wants to get a laugh out of his myspace.com page. Here you go.

NiNtEnDoNuT1983

I guess he was trying to con us all so he could 'smoke!'
    Good god.

That page makes me want to punch a baby.

-A Boy
    Amen. At least it provides a bit of explanation re: his completely unintelligible thought processes. Frat boys...

I have to believe, like others here, that he wasn't intentionally trying to scam somebody but yeah... you can't go doing that shite. I caught the thread before Berserker jumped in and it just plain seemed off somehow, so good sleuthing there.

Just nice to know somebody's watching out for the common man around here. Thanks.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    I don't particularilly beleive that he was actually trying to scam anybody. I sort of agree with what he said about people ripping on his threads for selling his stuff, especially after the U-Force thing.
    Same here...I think it's kinda lame that people would rip on a guy for wanting to sell some of his stuff. If anything, I'd welcome it - if it can be moved to a good/better home, then I'm all for it. I also don't think that Nintendonut truly meant to rip anyone off. HOWEVER, I'm glad that there isn't tolerance here for the way that he went about it. Being shady is one thing, but being downright deceitful is another. Props to Berserker and the rest of the mods for their hard work on this. It's clearly in their best interests to make DP a more positive and safe place for gaming discussion and trading, and this is a prime example of that interest and hard work paying off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All I have to add on the matter is that I never parsed his name right (as "Nintendo Nut"); it always looked like "Ninten Donut" to me. I don't think you can buy those at a Dunkin's.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate everything that's been done by DP members and staff in terms of uncovering this situation.

I'm not entirely sure if this was intended to be a scam, but it was intolerable, wrong, and just plain icky

Good luck to Nintendonut or whatever you username is, I hope you find your path.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    All I have to add on the matter is that I never parsed his name right (as "Nintendo Nut"); it always looked like "Ninten Donut" to me.
    Heh, ditto Seemed like a goon from day one to me...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    All I have to add on the matter is that I never parsed his name right (as "Nintendo Nut"); it always looked like "Ninten Donut" to me.
    Heh, ditto Seemed like a goon from day one to me...
    I always thought it was ninten donut too, I thought it was pretty funny (I thought it was intentional)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you, Berserker for helping to protect the integrity of the DP community. Wonderful digital sleuthing, sir.

*raises his whiskey*

[xxx)==

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Having read through all of them, I notice the tide sort of shifts near the end as to suggest "he wasn't really going to sell, he probably wasn't really trying to scam anyone etc..".

Well, let it be known that, and anyone who read the thread prior to my posting could vouch for this, that until I posted in his thread stating I knew EXACTLY who he was, the intent present behind the wording and presentation in his thread was none other than to collect money. Hell, look at his last post prior to me saying something:

Quote Originally Posted by me_good39
    had lots of offers......

$300 gets it

more items added!!!!

Such as:
    Cheetahmen II
    Bubble Bobble II
    Dragon warrior 1-4
    Megaman 1-6
    Contra Force CIB
    Caltron 6 in 1
    and many more
    This seems to indicate a progression of sorts, to me anyway.

-Offer up a rare game under an assumed name to see if anyone will put up any serious offers without the need for feedback or references.

-The bait is taken. Serious offers are made. Well, might as well offer up more rare games in the hopes of achieving a similar effect.

It stopped there because I said something, but let's assume for a moment that it was allowed to continue. I think the progression probably would've went along something like this...

-More serious offers are made. People just can't seem to pass up on a rare oppurtunity to snag some rare games, despite what misgivings they might have. What now...

-Oh shit, I just realized that the picture URL on my photobucket has my real name in it! Nobody seemed to notice yet though, but I better edit it out real quick.(note: he did this very thing after I posted, but neglected to do it in the quoted version he made of it.)

-Someone just deposited the first payment into my paypal account in agreement with my "pay first" stipulation. It's really working... wait, just got another one. So at this point, now having all of this money, I could ship these games to the person assuming I still have them, and I could even get some nice positive feedback for this totally fabricated username I could care less about... or, I could keep the money, keep the games, ship nothing, and get some really negative feedback for this totally fabricated username I could care less about, and continue on with business as usual at DP.

-Hmmm... what to do.

He used a falsified username. He didn't create an "Interest Check" thread, or a "How much are these games worth lately" thread. He created a FOR SALE thread for one rare game, and after he saw that he could get some serious offers for it, he added more rare games along with a "pay first" stipulation. If he ever asked for how much it was worth in the thread previously, it'd been long since edited out by the time I arrived on the scene, and replaced with the resounding sentiment: "MAKE AN OFFER."

Only, he only made use of his main account to drum up false interest in the thread, not to vouch for credibility of this person to help sell the games. Otherwise, his main account might have some things to answer for should this guy blow town with everyone's money. Think about it. Even if he was looking to genuinely sell these games via a falsified user account, if he was genuinely planning on selling these games, such a recommendation could only help his situation.

Nintendonut was certainly not the brightest attempted scammer ever to walk the earth, but EVERY bit of evidence I came across, along with EVERY word of his posts that I read told me that he had but one goal in mind, ultimately -- Offer the bait, take the money, ship nothing, and never touch that account again. If his intentions were anything but that, then he sure did a hell of a job fooling me, because I suspect I'd be hard-pressed to even come across a more concrete case than that twice.

So if you're asking me if I have to choose between either banning someone in regards to which all evidence points to that they plan on taking peoples' money without delivering anything in return and then blowing town under that name, or waiting for this person to see their scams to fruition, and simply mopping up afterwards and offering condolences and sympathy to the unfortunate folks who got suckered by this person, guess which option I'm going with.

This isn't Minority Report; we're not swooping in from the rafters to punish people for crimes they haven't even thought of committing yet. This is direct action against attempted scammers. This is us seeing their hand in the "cookie jar", using fast-talk and gesturing to illustrate to our members all the great things that will happen 'if...' with one hand, and using the other hand to pick through their wallets for cash and credit cards unawares. This is us catching them red-handed, and booting their ass out of our establishment. Thanks again for all the comments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Fair enough.

Ultimately, he perpetuated a falsehood in the course of a business transaction, and, that, should never be allowed to take place.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

I dont think that Ninten-donut (as I thought it was) was trying to scam everybody, but I do believe the right actions were taken.

Good work Berserker, cheers.

And Best of luck Nintendonut, I sincerely hope things work out for you.
    Welcome to Macintosh.