Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DP Members: Beware of the "Scam-and-Burn"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanhat
    Same here...I think it's kinda lame that people would rip on a guy for wanting to sell some of his stuff.
    these are not normal people

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re-reading the dialogue in the original thread leaves me to believe that there was a scam intended. Especially the playing it ignorant part on value at the beginning, coupled with the it's not fun anymore statement.

A lawyer in a court of law probably wouldn't have to try to hard to get a lesser sentence, (like pulling a gun and not shooting) ,but a sensible judge would slam him for as much as he could under the law with intent, regardless of argument.

I stress my gratitude again, thanks Berserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe he was trying to scam people.

I´ve been scammed before and it sucks. People like that dont deserve any good wishes or compassion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After reading Berserker's latest post, there isn't a doubt in my mind that he was trying to scam people, and thus, the actions taken are 100% justified to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    There's been an awful lot of people with one or two post coming in. and posting B&S stuff the day they join.. lately. I'm not saying they aren't legit.. but I've actually been surprised how many old-timers around here still answer threads of newbs with NO seniority and NO post count.. when the newb posts selling something highly sought after. I won't.. anymore.
    That because sometimes you roll the bones and luck out - getting an excellent deal because everyone else was afraid to take the risk with a new user for big money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn
    That was real good work. It's just sad that it makes new people (like myself) look like we can't be trusted, as video games are the reason I joined anyway.
    You have to understand that to a lot of people NiNtEnDoNuT1983 was a respectable collector up until this little stunt. Post count has nothing to do with the criteria under which someone may try to pull a scam. 3 posts or 3000, someone could always go AWOL and try to pull a fast one and split - in this case he was trying to do so and still remain an "upstanding" member of DP.

As for the whole feeling he may of had of "it's a disgrace to realize you can't afford the hobby" stuff, just look at Off Topic sometime, we all have lives (somewhat). If hard times come down, if you need the money, if you just want to get out of something - be upfront about it. There are many high level collectors on these forums that have sold mass amounts, or all, of their collections in Buying and Selling. They're still here, and they're still highly respected. However flat out lying and playing the shell game with your identity is crap from any angle.

I want to commend Berserker for catching this and taking care of it so quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    All I have to add on the matter is that I never parsed his name right (as "Nintendo Nut"); it always looked like "Ninten Donut" to me.
    Heh, ditto Seemed like a goon from day one to me...
    I always thought it was ninten donut too, I thought it was pretty funny (I thought it was intentional)
    At least we know where the carrot goes now! HAW

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    You have to understand that to a lot of people NiNtEnDoNuT1983 was a respectable collector up until this little stunt. Post count has nothing to do with the criteria under which someone may try to pull a scam. 3 posts or 3000, someone could always go AWOL and try to pull a fast one and split - in this case he was trying to do so and still remain an "upstanding" member of DP.

As somebody who's often had problems B&Sing, yeah, just being wordy doesn't mean you're going to guarantee a smooth deal. The feedback forum is a great idea, but really, there's no way to predict if a scam artist will strike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    All I have to add on the matter is that I never parsed his name right (as "Nintendo Nut"); it always looked like "Ninten Donut" to me.
    Heh, ditto Seemed like a goon from day one to me...
    I always thought it was ninten donut too, I thought it was pretty funny (I thought it was intentional)
    Yep everytime I saw it, well I always thought of donuts.

He also has one of the most craptastic blogs ever. There are alot of people on myspace who suck ass.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never ever buy anything from someone with a user name with every other letter capitalized anyhow. Or with a "leet" speak name. It reeks of doing business with a 13 year old. Good work none-the-less.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[09:28] Sensei Fu: What makes you think people are going to be willing to buy from a "noob"?
    [09:28] NintendoNut: lol they have b4 and so have i

.. these two lines.. speak volumes..

"buying from a noob?".. so have I.. actually.. but never again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn
    That was real good work. It's just sad that it makes new people (like myself) look like we can't be trusted, as video games are the reason I joined anyway.
    I agree 100% with you Shawn.I to am new to DP.I have been on ebay several years now. See stems2000.I have never tried to scam anyone.I guess I hope to get exactly what I am buying.Sometimes your feedback is hard to build up because people do not leave it.I always tell people to let me know how things are.I do like this site because you can buy,sell or trade things to help your collection or someone elses.Good job Berserker for helping point out people like that.Hopefully that can keep those people from messing things up for us.Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

I agree with the sentiment David said. He was getting to be a great member of the board. Doing the masquerade is underhanded and there are better ways of doing it.

It's like that cover of American Splendor with Letterman telling Harvey Pekar "You F---ed up a great thing."

Oh well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Wow. Great work Berserker. This is one of those threads you have to read the entirety of, and in that regard is 2nd only to the mighty "Bio Force Ape" debacle, which, I think, will never be topped.

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Wow. Great work Berserker. This is one of those threads you have to read the entirety of, and in that regard is 2nd only to the mighty "Bio Force Ape" debacle, which, I think, will never be topped.
    You have expressed my sentiments exactly. This was huge, and I literally thought of the farcical Bio Force Ape thread when I delved into this one. I read this stickied announcement this morning as if it was a major news event in the world. I was completely stunned that a trusted DP'er would stoop so low. I must commend you, Berserker, for a wonderful investigative job.

My opinion of NintenDoNut is, well..."I want to believe..."
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what a douchebag. This sentence basically sums up what a tool he is

[09:35] NintendoNut: brb i need a smoke im all worked up now lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    strayhellcat

I'm getting scared of buying from the b&s forum nowdays, to be honest. I've had so many deals fall through, no replies when I've been about to send money and PMed the seller to double check something... a package I paid for over a month ago hasn't arrived, but as that was a one off, I'm letting it slide (it could have been the postal system, I'm really not sure). It really sucks that something like this had to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I'd like to say there is some reasable defense to his actions, but I honestly cant think of anything. If he had been interested in checking prices, he wouldnt have demaned payment before shiping. What, would he suddenly anounce that he was the same person and refund everyone? Would he actualy go thru and send out the games? We will never know now. Should this surprise or scare anyone? To a degree, yes and no. The buying and selling section here has never been a 100% safe place to buy as one will always run the risk of getting ripped off. Things wont be described as they actualy are. Things may never get shiped at all. People dont pay up to what's agreed. The ways one can get scamed or many. All this realy does for me is let me know who one of the posible scammers are. You can go by post counts in trying to verify if someone is a solid member of DP who values their respect earned here, but honestly that is a very stupid way. Consider that any new person can post up to 25 threads a day (is responses the same?) or 25 responses. Now, if they do that many for 7 days, that gives them 175 posts in one week. In one month, that gives them 700+ Posts. Basicly what I myself have gathered in a year and a half of posting. Does this mean that person who's been here only a month has the same credability as myself? I would hope not! People who have history tend to not get up and disapear. Sure, everyone has the posibilty to go bad, but getting worked up and scared because someone with an 8 month history shows himself to be a potential scamer is realy not a good enough reason to get worked up into a panic. Exspecialy if you yourself were not a victem.

Use the buying section to sell.
    Use it to buy stuff as well.
    Not everyone in it is a crook, but not everyone is honest. Basicly, you the buyer/seller should decide if you can trust or not. Myself, I'm going to continue to buy stuff on the buying and selling. One day I may very well get scamed. Thankfully it's not been that way so far.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever his intent, his actions were reprehensible.

As both a buyer and a seller, Berserker has my thanks for keeping a sharp eye on the forum.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    I would never ever buy anything from someone with a user name with every other letter capitalized anyhow. Or with a "leet" speak name. It wreaks of doing business with a 13 year old. Good work none-the-less.

I can definitely understand that line of reasoning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's been said before, but I'm glad to see him go because A) He's obviously a dumbass scammer, and B) his username irritated me. Stupid Kazaa, influencing people's capitalization.

Hooray for Berserker.
    Feedback thread here