Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DP Members: Beware of the "Scam-and-Burn"

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Off-Topic

Personally people should come to DP to discuss games primarily. The buying/selling part should be secondary imo. I know a few get annoyed with some users only here for the trade side of things, but there's nothing wrong with that so it's not like we can stop everyone from selling unless they've accrued XXX number of posts.

What about someone who spends all their time in the Off Topic forum talking about the NBA, movies or booze and doesn't ever make posts in the gaming forums? There are quite a few such users here. I could get on there and boost my post totals but any type of message board only holds my interest so long, gaming or otherwise.
    Last edited by bangtango; 08-29-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    It's caveat emptor in all deals, even ones with good feedback. I've seen good people turn bad in the past on eBay for example (and once or twice on here I think). That's just my view of things.
    Very true. I had this happen recently on ebay. A seller had a feedback of over 100 with 99%. I purchased a sealed game from him for $110. When the dust finally settled he ended up with 25+ negatives in only two weeks from selling sealed games and not shipping. He also ruined my perfect feeback. That was partly my fault as in my feedback for him I suggested he find a vat of acid and swim in it, which I still stand by

So far I have had good luck trading here with several sucessful transactions, but you never know when a nintendonut might come along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gum_drops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    It's caveat emptor in all deals, even ones with good feedback. I've seen good people turn bad in the past on eBay for example (and once or twice on here I think). That's just my view of things.
    Very true. I had this happen recently on ebay. A seller had a feedback of over 100 with 99%. I purchased a sealed game from him for $110. When the dust finally settled he ended up with 25+ negatives in only two weeks from selling sealed games and not shipping. He also ruined my perfect feeback. That was partly my fault as in my feedback for him I suggested he find a vat of acid and swim in it, which I still stand by

So far I have had good luck trading here with several sucessful transactions, but you never know when a nintendonut might come along.
    I've had that happen to me, but just not that much money involed. I still have 126 positive feedback! (and one netural )

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

he could simply be posting from a library computer and that is why he has the same IP addy as someone else. That is what I do. I make sure to log out tho, but it would have the exact same IP addy if someone else logged into digitpress later in the day with a different name.

Tho looking at everything, it probably is the same guy(exclamation points etc)
    It is pitch black. If you continue you are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ya breaking my heart(jk)

yo my other account wont send me my pw so im not new thank u very much

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait nintendonut is good he gav me displays hes not scamimng ppl and lf he is sue his azz

Insert Coin (Level 0) deaditeash2's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A very interesting thread - brings up alot of issues to keep in mind when buying online. Although I'm very new here (just joined 2 days ago!) been a gamer all my life. We should all remember to use common sense when buying - even if from the same person again. People change and "outside life" can affect us all. But please keep in mind - just because someone's new doesn't meen they should be shunned around here - you all were once new too... I was very excited to come across this site and am hoping it will be a great place to pursue my passion for this hobby.

deaditeash

Incidentally,

I can't seem to get the want/trade lists to work on the site so just a quick note:

(looking to buy the following systems: ColecoVision, SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Off-Topic

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    "Personally people should come to DP to discuss games primarily. The buying/selling part should be secondary imo. I know a few get annoyed with some users only here for the trade side of things, but there's nothing wrong with that so it's not like we can stop everyone from selling unless they've accrued XXX number of posts."

What about someone who spends all their time in the Off Topic forum talking about the NBA, movies or booze and doesn't ever make posts in the gaming forums? There are quite a few such users here. I could get on there and boost my post totals but any type of message board only holds my interest so long, gaming or otherwise.

Good points Bang.

I offer a potential "solution" below for DP brass to consider.

--

Every post one makes in OT, should be marked OT. i.e. counter for posts made everywhere sans OT and a separate counter to let you know how much one posted in OT.

Therefore, if a seller suddenly sells off a host of hot high priced ticket items, and you see "Posts: 1,000" but when you click on their profile it says "980 in OT"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"First off, just having a bunch of good feedback is meaningless, unless you know *what* was sold."

You are right, feedback is not definitive. One, could be a lot of "good feedback" built up on "cheapo items". Then they scam on the "big stuff". It's always smart to read ANY negative feedback even if only a few, shows how person handles problems. Also people have been known to sell "good feedback" accounts to other people. So you are not even dealing with the person who got the feedback originally. Plus there are stolen/hacked accounts, quite a few of them. Always be careful when dealing with a large ticket item, buying OR selling.
    Visit my web page for lots of games for sale/trade www.TomMage.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If everybody operated with the same paranoia that I see in some of the previous replies, then there would never be any business done on these forums. My feedback account on this web site belongs to me. No if's, and's or but's about it. Bottom line. End of story.

If a buyer is worried about a seller's feedback, they can always contact members who have done business with that seller previously. The feedback from all of those users (and the ability to PM them) is right here in the forums and I find it hard to believe every single person who leaves feedback for someone is in "cahoots" with them for a potential scam. PM those members if you have any reservations.

The average (and honest) seller shouldn't have to apologize because they have sold a few cheap items in the past. It was probably to get rid of doubles or drum up a couple of extra bucks. So it would be better for everyone involved if a seller "sat on" cheap items, instead of listing them anywhere? Not everyone is in it to "pad" their feedback rating. Come on......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Necrosis99

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    "Personally people should come to DP to discuss games primarily. The buying/selling part should be secondary imo. I know a few get annoyed with some users only here for the trade side of things, but there's nothing wrong with that so it's not like we can stop everyone from selling unless they've accrued XXX number of posts."
    Personally, I think the idea of post counters on forums is dumb, all it does is invoke post-whores to spam the forums and brag about their post count, it also allows scammers to spam and get a false sense of credibility to people that have never bought from forums before.

nobody should ever assume that because someone has a lot of post that they are credible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well .... What can i say , very surprised , ive dealt with him a million ocassions and always went well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) hayabusa_fmw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DON'T BUY FROM www.FOUNDMY.com

Terry Waskowich
    from FOUNDMY.com (modchips & other items)

DON'T BUY FROM THEM

he scammed me for 50$ (that ain't bad)

never shipped , said he lost the order # , & never replyed since

He will also not refund Any orders

Don't deal with him

this is the first & only time i have been scammed online.. very sad to see there are still people stealing from others & making cheap excuses for it.

thanks! & be careful!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Celestial Avenger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That NintenDonut guy is trying to sell stuff on NESForums and NESWorld

http://www.nesforums.com/showthread.php?t=2572
    http://www.nesworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1181089942

I'd let them know, but something tells me if I'm a new user they'll ban me for whatever reason. Just getting bad vibes from one of the communities.
    *edit* Yeah, I got reamed on nesforums.

I've never had a problem dealing with Mark, aside from his forgetfulness (dude, I still haven't heard back from you on that Championship Bowling manual...also interested in Goal, Volleyball, and Mach Rider CIB - hit me with a PM). People make mistakes. Are we going to hold a grudge forever? You don't want him around your elitist shithole, that's fine and dandy. We don't want any of you elitist asshats around here either. Suck my nuts and leave Mark be. The end.
    It bit him in the ass. But people have been forgiven for far more (resealing). DP is an unforgiving cabal of habitual elitist stone-throwers. Going off this thread alone is poor grounds for making up your own mind. I think Mark's begun to explain himself in the PM transcript, but they banned him before he could even answer to berserker's assumptions. In berserker's own words, he posted and stoppd him before anything happened.
    Facts and transcripts saying, "fuck 'em yeah I did it," don't matter, as long as you're a cool dude. All I said was, "caution, this guy scam and burned a site." I didn't say, "Don't ever deal with this guy. He'll screw you over, then kill your cat." I think the responses I got stemmed from a hatred for this site.
    Last edited by Celestial Avenger; 06-26-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) hayabusa_fmw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WORST SCAMMER
    SHOULD BE LISTED

EBAY & EBAY'S PAL PAYPAL!

let's try to make Ebay & paypal history

Or at least make them change the way they threat us

Like pure GARBAGE

Support www.paypalsucks.com

Learn how to protect yourself

& read about how you get litterally f**** each time you use those jerks!

I will delete my both acct.

as for now

SUPPORT PAYPALSUCK.COM !

Best way to proove it
    was recorded

by someone this is exactly the same service i had few days ago

http://marc.perkel.com/audio/paypal2.mp3
    Last edited by hayabusa_fmw; 07-25-2007 at 06:50 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ran into a scammer on a train forum that I frequent (Lionel trains are another hobby of mine). He'd been making his living for the last few years scamming R/C cars and boats, and for whatever reason decided to try his hand at trains. I did some digging because the guy pushed my buttons on a lot of levels, including pretending to be a disabled Gulf War II veteran.

These guys get away with this because people rarely, if ever, take any legal action against them. Unfortunately the legal system doesn't give a lot of help, since scams involving $200 or less aren't considered severe crimes in most states. But you still should report these people, even if you only get ripped off for 50 bucks. If they get enough legal problems, maybe they'll try to find a more honest way to make a living.

First, gather information. You need the person's address and a description of whatever it was you sent or expected to receive, along with the dollar value. Use Google to find the address and phone number of that person's local police department or other law enforcement agency. Now, go to *your* local police department with that information and ask to file a complaint.

This may or may not result in you getting your money back, but it will almost certainly result in the deadbeat getting a visit from the police, and nobody wants that.

You should also do two other things. Contact the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center, at http://www.ic3.gov/. All you have to do is fill out a form. This may or may not help you, but it establishes a track record.

Second, get the post office involved. If you sent payment through the mail or expected to receive your merchandise through regular mail, then your trading partner is guilty of mail fraud. The complaint is a simple form you can fill out online at http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors...dComplaint.htm.

Doing all of this may or may not get you your money or merchandise back. But at the very least it makes the scammer's life a whole lot more complicated. And remember, it makes the scammer's life more complicated on multiple levels. If the cops have visited him 15 times the last year because he keeps "forgetting" to send people their video games, he's less likely to get any leniency the next time he gets pulled over for a minor traffic violation.

So if you get scammed, do society a favor and spend an hour or two doing what you need to do to report the scam. Otherwise, your scammer will just keep on scamming other people in the classic gaming community, and possibly move on to something else, like R/C or trains or baseball cards.

It's easy for me to see how a scammer could make a reasonably comfortable living without a job, just roaming around various hobby boards and scamming people. It's really sad that these people are able to live that way, exploiting honest people who are having to work harder and harder with each passing year just to maintain their current lifestyles, let alone get ahead.

Sorry to come in out of the blue and possibly open up some old wounds (I know I'm a stranger here), but I think this was something that needed to be said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default low post count

*sulks at his low post count* oh well guess theres only one way to change that unfortunatly i cant go back in time and find digital press further back in the day so i guess ill just have to hang around for awhile to gain some cred.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    *sulks at his low post count* oh well guess theres only one way to change that unfortunatly i cant go back in time and find digital press further back in the day so i guess ill just have to hang around for awhile to gain some cred.
    As a guy who was "new" around here once, same as everyone else, I'd recommend starting with a few small or medium sized trades (instead of selling outright) and if you can afford to buy a few games at the moment, consider buying from 2 or 3 of our fine members here. 4 or 5 good feedback comments and a few more posts will help get you started if you decide to sell a few things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Default True dat...

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    As a guy who was "new" around here once, same as everyone else, I'd recommend starting with a few small or medium sized trades (instead of selling outright) and if you can afford to buy a few games at the moment, consider buying from 2 or 3 of our fine members here. 4 or 5 good feedback comments and a few more posts will help get you started if you decide to sell a few things.
    I've got two transactions that I just worked through, only they weren't listed, so I suppose that isn't helping me much with some items I'm trying to sell. What you're saying does make sense though, but hopefully someone will check my feedback or have the sense to ask either myself or the other members I did business with what the details of the transaction were.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Dave on this subject. I just think people get fustrated with "small" issues and thus let them go (as to not have to deal with further bs). Was Nintendonut going to scam people? I'm somewhat undecided on the issue. Very good facts can be argued on each side, and since the member was banned we will truly never know his intent (which could be a good thing). The internet is one of the greatest creations ever invented, however being faceless/nameless online will allow some slick people to take advantage of others. Be safe when dealing with others people online O_o