Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: DP Members: Beware of the "Scam-and-Burn"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kind of understand that people here are afraid of getting ripped of when buying stuff since some of the items sold here are quite expensive. What I cant understand is the people that refuse to sell to people (me me me) if they dont live in the US.

They have stuff to sell, Im paying in advance and covering any paypal fees and still...."no sorry, I dont ship internationally" "Sorry I dont send abroad".

DP seems to have a very hight rate of traders that wont send items ouside of the us. On most other forums I've visited I havent noticed this level of distrust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by winona2k View Post
    I kind of understand that people here are afraid of getting ripped of when buying stuff since some of the items sold here are quite expensive. What I cant understand is the people that refuse to sell to people (me me me) if they dont live in the US.

They have stuff to sell, Im paying in advance and covering any paypal fees and still...."no sorry, I dont ship internationally" "Sorry I dont send abroad".

DP seems to have a very hight rate of traders that wont send items ouside of the us. On most other forums I've visited I havent noticed this level of distrust.
    I don't think that it is a mistrust of people, but rather a dislike of shipping internationally where the only way to have any type of tracking is to pay hugely expensive rates. I have read threads here and on other sites about people's difficulties in shipping overseas, and can understand their reluctance. Like I said, it is not the buyer, but the lack of accountability or tracking in the shipping.

JY

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It totally has to do with shipping risk for me.. Paypal is strict about protection when shipping overseas here, and it it usually too much hassle or expense to bother with shipping internationally. Also, you still get those people who are like"where's my game !!!" Customs and such seem to slow down packages and people get impatient, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    I don't think that it is a mistrust of people, but rather a dislike of shipping internationally where the only way to have any type of tracking is to pay hugely expensive rates. I have read threads here and on other sites about people's difficulties in shipping overseas, and can understand their reluctance. Like I said, it is not the buyer, but the lack of accountability or tracking in the shipping.

JY
    Also, many people use the APC (Automatic Postal Center) to ship stuff out and you can't use it on international packages (I don't believe). Working 8 to 5 Mon-Fri I don't get much of chance to go to the post office and stand in line to ship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I can see you point, still, I suspect you would have the same amount of trouble with any domestic buyer? Or is all domestic mail shipped by the USPS tracked by default?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I can see you point, still, I suspect you would have the same amount of trouble with any domestic buyer? Or is all domestic mail shipped by the USPS tracked by default?
    It is not tracked by default, but for a simple confirmation of delivery it is only 65 cents. It is not too much more to step it up to signature confirmation. I always use it for peace of mind. It saved me a while back when a package I sent was delivered but the recipient didn't get it. For some reason, it showed up a week or 2 later.

JY

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind shipping INternationally. I think I've only had 3-4 issues in 10 years. My philosphy is if you burn me once, you never get another deal from me again. 1st Class International is good, it's Customs that takes the longest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Winona2k, I am one of those sellers who is willing to ship overseas, but it is still a hassle. First, as indicated above, tracking in the US is cheap ($.65 for Delivery confirmation on priority mail, $.75 for delivery confirmation on parcel post). Tracking overseas is usually only available by EMS, which is a minimum $21.00 to ship. Many times I am willing to ship overseas, but the buyer loses interest when he/she finds out how much shipping will be.

The biggest cause of concern, though, comes from the fact that most non-US addresses are not paypal confirmed, and therefore there is no seller protection.

Also, if you get scammed locally, you can take appropriate civil, or in some cases, even criminal action. However, internationally there is nothing you can do.
    "You can judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My feedback
    Digitpress.com
    Neo-Geo.com (over 100 feedbacks)
    Sega-Naomi.com
    GameGavel.com
    ChasetheChuckwagon.com

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I don't trust the postal service. Has nothing to do with distrust of the person.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's really a combination

The hassle...
    the no tracking....
    the time for it to ship....
    and also the trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GENTLEMENofLULZ

Quote Originally Posted by namzep View Post
    Also, many people use the APC (Automatic Postal Center) to ship stuff out and you can't use it on international packages (I don't believe). Working 8 to 5 Mon-Fri I don't get much of chance to go to the post office and stand in line to ship.
    In Most cases yes it is a hassle unless you decide to go with UPS or FedEx because both do door to door service they will pick up the package at your place and send it to the buys house, but of course you know what that entails already. For me if im ordering anything off Play-Asia I try to get the price just right so I can get my stuff shipped with either UPS or FedEx since they are obviously cheaper then HK EMS sometimes by as little as $20 cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

he tried to play me out too, with the " sweet" deal of all these nes games, real ultra rare games for my store... then needed paypal right away. i can understand payments due immediatly, but give someone 24 hours... sheesh. but yes i agree with yall he is to no good. one more thing... its unreal how many will try to "burn" you, people learn u own a game store thinking yea this dude got money he will be willing to send $$$$ when that isnt true. its a shame to burn someone for what a grand? what the hell is that? NOTHING nuff said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GENTLEMENofLULZ

Quote Originally Posted by zeldas_nexus View Post
    he tried to play me out too, with the " sweet" deal of all these nes games, real ultra rare games for my store... then needed paypal right away. i can understand payments due immediatly, but give someone 24 hours... sheesh. but yes i agree with yall he is to no good. one more thing... its unreal how many will try to "burn" you, people learn u own a game store thinking yea this dude got money he will be willing to send $$$$ when that isnt true. its a shame to burn someone for what a grand? what the hell is that? NOTHING nuff said
    I mean im new to this put Ill atleast give a guy till the next paycheck to decide if he wants to buy all 10 games or if he only really wants 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, ask the people who I buy in bulk from about waiting for my next paycheck, hehehe.

But for me, the people I buy in bulk from on here know when I say I want something and I have the money for it on my payday, I have the money for it.

Now for shipping internationally, I don't care. I will ship this stuff where ever as long as you pay to ship it. If you pay for it all, I will send it to Constantinople if you want. No big deal. Just don't come to me asking where it is when I am shipping overseas, but I have honestly never ran into a problem with somebody thinking I have not shipped some games.

I will say that it sucks in the beginning to earn trust here, but once you do, then I could care less and will send you my money anyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Public announcement thingy here

I don't know how many of ya deal with the UK, but this all seems like a very familiar setup to me! I dunno if this Xenepp character is around here, and it certainly doesn't sound like he's taking more orders right now, but if you're looking at MAME boards + from the UK = check out that thread.

More concise info on that. (Arcadeotaku)
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 08-19-2009 at 05:20 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I buy a lot internationally and I am in Brazil. I can tell you for all the sellers out there that most of the risk is on my side, I mean, there is no effective tracking really, once the item leaves US for example, that tracking number won't be updated anymore. It can take from 1-4 weeks for a package to arrive at my door, sometimes more if the item comes from europe. Shipping to Brazil is very expensive, so I usually rather wait and pay the cheapest shipping fee possible and usually that is $8-15 for small packages.

Having said that, I'm selling some msx carts on another thread and today I had to go to the post office and I spent around 45min over there to ship two packages, one to the States and another to Abu Dhabi. In fact it is a bit of a hassle dealing with the forms, but nothing major so I really don't care.

I can't force any one to ship to Brazil, but when I explain that I'm ok with the long waiting and will pay for shipping accordingly, and most import be nice to people (remember you are asking them to go that extra mile for you), many of them will change their minds and ship the goods to me.

So if you are patient and polite, chances are you will get what you want. Being nice to people pays off in the end.
    Last edited by onetunafish; 01-11-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ShovelThumb's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a new member here I am pleased I read sticky topics like this, as not only a reassurance but also as a proof that the people with the power are on their toes. Good job staff!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tsukinikawatte's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just think wow... Really? I mean there's no real reason to do this to honest ppl. Regardless of anyones reason or issue there is always an honest way out of a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I just read through this beast. As a new member, I'm hoping that everyone on here doesn't just ignore me for 3 years

I, for one, am absolutely NOT looking to rip anyone off (or be ripped off for that matter). I'm just really happy to find a place where collectors (serious or otherwise) have a home!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    Well, I just read through this beast. As a new member, I'm hoping that everyone on here doesn't just ignore me for 3 years

I, for one, am absolutely NOT looking to rip anyone off (or be ripped off for that matter). I'm just really happy to find a place where collectors (serious or otherwise) have a home!
    For the most part people are only hostile in their response posts here. Spend more time buying before throwing up some collection of high priced in demand games and you'll do well.

The place doesnt see the huge number of scammers some would think but the problem is, when it happens it can hit multiple members.