Thread: video game grading

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default video game grading

is there a company like the CGC for video games. ive been thinking about this idea for a long time and i know of a person that can seal anything you in a pvc container. it sounds like a great business idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: video game grading

Quote Originally Posted by dcx516
    is there a company like the CGC for video games.
    I hope not. I don't want my hobby to fall into the same category as comics, sportscard, actionfigures etc.

It's probably inevitable though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know there has been one discussion about this in the past, and the general consensus seemed to be apathy. The most common concern was that most of us collect the games to play them (at least in theory). So it doesn't do much good to get a game graded if you are going to continue using it (it will get scratched, ect.). And it doesn't do much good to seal it up, cause then you can't play it.

There might be a market for this, but I'm guessing it would be really, really small. Maybe demand would be higher if you could permanently seal the games, but keep them playable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, that would be pretty cool.

There are a few games that I'd like to get a spare complete of and take it all apart and have a display with each piece seperated and in clear view. If it were to be hung on the wall or sit in a casing on a table top I don't know. It would become a centerpiece where ever it would be placed though, and would look pretty nice.

As for the value, I don't know. Most do generally collect to have it for play whenever or to have complete and sit on a shelf never to be opened.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suckerpunch5
    The most common concern was that most of us collect the games to play them (at least in theory).
    i hear what your saying. but i mean new games that are sealed that you dont intend to play

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seams to me like most of the people here that collect games do so because they enjoy playing games. I never really set out to start a "collection" i just started buying games that i used to love to play on my nintendo. Then i started buying games based on how much they cost... i figure you cant really go too wrong for a buck so if it only cost a buck ill at least give it a chance and see if it is any good. After all in theory the games were all officialy released by there perspective companys therefore they had to have an expected profit margin so they would have to be worth buying for more than a buck at one time. eventualy i found myself with about 200 games for my NES and decided that i could not stop buying games i didn't have... for any system regaurdless of what it was. I am not a collector because i want my collection to have value from a monotary stance - I am a collector becase i love chasing after all of these old games that no one wants anymore. After all there still just as much fun to play as the day they were released regaurdless of how dated they appear to be. If a company comes in and starts rating the value of a videogame then all of a sudden the focus shifts from people who love playing games to people who are trying to make money off of games and in the long run the only people who end up getting hurt are the collectors. Then all of a sudden we have to pay hundreds of dollars for games that would are not nearly as expensive simply because there is a fabricated demand for them. We already have this thanks to E-Bay... of course E-Bay also helps collectors since there are a lot of games out there that are impossible to find a collector now has a much larger marketplace to search for those sought after games they can't find anywere else. A grading system has no positive result all it does is make you pay way to much for games that all of a sudden people think are worth more than they actualy are! NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF SIMPLE GREED!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by briskbc
    is there a company like the CGC for video games.
    I hope not. I don't want my hobby to fall into the same category as comics, sportscard, actionfigures etc.

It's probably inevitable though.
    ditto on your concern. A CGC for games would be very lame, purely on the "speculation" level.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is there a company like the CGC for video games. ive been thinking about this idea for a long time and i know of a person that can seal anything you in a pvc container. it sounds like a great business idea
    NO PVC!! Bad stuff for long term storage.

Also, I agree that an official grading system would create a negative effect. I'm one of those people who feel that VG's are meant to be played and not just displayed.

Just adding my 2 cents... x_x
    What?!...Me worry??...HA!!

My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default well

That's a good idea, I suppose.
    I collect games that I want to play, but I would someday like to collect games on rarity.

However, sometimes I get games I used to have, just to have them. Donkey Kong for SNES isn't rare, but it was a centerpiece to my childhood (one of the few games I beat at leave fifteen times and it never got old).
    I doubt I'll play these games again for a while, but it's just nice to keep around.

I'd gladly rebuy them, simply to look at it and think back to those days when I was four and I first got the SNES.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: well

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow
    That's a good idea, I suppose.
    I collect games that I want to play, but I would someday like to collect games on rarity.

However, sometimes I get games I used to have, just to have them. Donkey Kong for SNES isn't rare, but it was a centerpiece to my childhood (one of the few games I beat at leave fifteen times and it never got old).
    I doubt I'll play these games again for a while, but it's just nice to keep around.

I'd gladly rebuy them, simply to look at it and think back to those days when I was four and I first got the SNES.
    That's a good point. Nostalgia can be a great thing, BUT it usually doesn't require a "GEM MINT 9" rating.
    What?!...Me worry??...HA!!

My Digital Press Feedback

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I woudln't mind doing it for some of my prototypes or sealed games, as I'm sure other collectors would want to do the same for other one of a kind items, but yeah most collectors use thier games unlike card or toy collectors.

as a card can be sealed away in plastic but still enjoyed, same with toys (mostly) but still for those uber rare things like a sealed stackup (thats common loose) it'd be a worthy investment. especially if you had custom cases that would look nice as a centerpiece on a shelf.

I'd love to do something special with my Zanac prototype but I havn't really looked into it (its just blanaced precariously on a top shelf right now)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I think it would be a terrible business idea at the present time. It will happen but the market for top condition stuff isn't large enough at the moment to warrant setting up this kind of service. The collector pool for big ticket items is laughably shallow. Needs another ten years.

Not to mention that it will require some real expertise and money to do right... you can guarantee that the minute your doors open you are going to have some shady bastard sending you reseals hoping they slip it past your system. Once graded, the reseal would be legitimized and they'd be off to the bank.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering games usually come in boxes you can't see though, how would a grading company "grade" anything more than the condition of the outer box? There's no real way of telling certain games weren't resealed, either. Some didn't even have a seal at retail!

I think it would destroy the hobby. Look what it did to sportscards. The values of unslabbed cards fell substantially, especially in older pieces, and there's been real questions about the legitimacy of the companies that are involved in the "grading."

I'm in the games are for playing camp. Collecting is all well and good--I get wanting something to be in good shape, complete with manuals, maps, etc. But at the end of the day, I also want to be able to pull it off the shelf and give it a whirl. Sealing something in plastic, and locking it away from the rest of the world just doesn't apppeal to me.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector