Thread: Why collectors shouldn't waste their money on bad games

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why collectors shouldn't waste their money on bad games

I'm a collector, and I see other collectors pay a lot of money for a rare crappy game. You know as a collector you're not going to play it at all, maybe once or twice, and then you're going to put it away for good (unless you sell it). Why did you want to purchase it in the first place? For showing off, or because you want to spend a lot of your tax money on something dumb?

I don't get it with people who owned a copy of Cheetahmen II. The game sucks, period. The game has a very low production run, so what, if the game sucks, why pay for it? I believe that if you going to pay over $100 on a game, you better play it a lot. But for rare shitty game, they'll get purchased, played once or twice, and they get put away for good.

As a collector I will never buy a shitty game that cost a lot, NEVER! I still almost shit in my pants when people keep braging on how much they paid for a rare game that just sucks. I understand as a collector that you want to complete a system game set, but paying over $100 for a shitty game is just crossing over the line. Heck, with a $100 I can spend a lot of money on many great titles.

Why do collectors (like some of you people) pay a lot of money for shitty games that you don't even play a lot? What makes you want to shell out over $100 for games that are just pure trash?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. I only buy things that I'll play. I'm not talking about playing to death or anything, but if I can't sit down and enjoy it for a few hours, I'm not going to drop money for it. Or even worse, have it take up my extremely limited space.

But then again I'm not as hardcore as some of the real collectors

Insert Coin (Level 0) -SuperYoshi-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, see, you're more of a gamer than a collector, and so am I. The SERIOUS collectors though think a bit differently (Rarity >>> Gameplay for most collectors)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Default Re: Why collectors shouldn't waste their money on bad games

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    Heck, with a $100 I can spend a lot of money on many great titles.
    Exactly.

I was buying any game I could find for awhile when I finally thought "What the hell am I buying this crap for?" And out it went.

If i'm not going to play it, no reason in owning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I personally am not a collector, I'm a gamer which is why I buy the games that I like and that I want to play. However if I were a collector then I would want to own all the games, that was the same way I was while collecting Marvel cards so many years ago. I didn't just want the ones with the characters that I knew I wanted all of them so that I would have the complete collection. I would hate to look through them all now and see gaps where I missed some just because I didn't know or didn't like the person, its about having them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completely agree with everything being said. That is how I am as well. I love collecting games for the NES. But, I have absolutely no intentions of buying games that are crappy just for the fact that they might be considered rare. Now, I don't mind buying some crappy games if they are cheap. An example would be Back to the Future 1 for the NES. Most people would consider it to be a horrible game, but I found it at a pawn shop a few years ago for only $2 and I picked it up. It's fun for the money I paid for it.

Also, I don't believe in buying rare expensive games just to have it and never play it. Like, I know some people who buy games but never open them at all just because it will bring down the value of it. Now, what's the point of paying money for a video game if it isn't going to be played? I have the same problem with buying rare comic books and never reading them. That is what they are for, to read.

But hey, not everyone shares my opinion, which is fine too

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You got a point, I'm a gamer who buys the games that I know I'm going to play when I' dead.

My friend in school was able to get BusyTown for free, and that game sucks so bad according to him. He wants me to go over to his place and play that shitty game. He knows it's a kiddy title, but according to him the gameplay is just horrible. He's like me, he would never pay a lot of money for something so crappy (a funny thing is that a used game store in my city is selling BusyTown loose for $25 ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really glad this thread exists

From the looks of some of the threads here I thought everybody here was an avid collector (buying rarity at almost any price). I mean, there's nothing wrong with being a collector - it's cool and a good hobby, just not for me.

That being said, if I saw a rare game for cheap, I would buy it. I'd probably sell it once I got a good offer though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Haven't we been here before?

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What makes a $100 bill worth that much?

It's just a damn fancily decorated piece of paper backed by an overinflated economy (well not really, but I think you'll get what I mean - at least some of you anyway).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Rarity>Good gameplay for the right price.

Personally Ill buy games that I know are crappy but rare, but not for insane prices. I would pay $30 for Cheetahmen II max, for example.

I guess it all just really depends on what you plan on focusing on system wise, and what kinds of goals you have. Personally my first order of buisness for any system is to try and track down the "Gems" so to speak. Only then will I look for other rarities.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not wanting to pay $100 for a rare game doesen't make you any less of a collector, if you enjoy collecting games. Neither does plunking down that $3000 on that NWC make you any more of a collector. It just places you in a different shade of being a collector.

For many collectors, in many fields, tracking down that elusive title/card/stamp/coin on the cheap is part of the fun of collecting. For others, simply getting that elusive title/card/stamp/coin is the issue; and cost is more of an afterthought.

The games themselves, without even being placed into a system and played, are a work of art. Even when I don't have time to play my games, a quick pass through the 'room of doom', a scan down my genesis titles, looking through my box of manuals all bring a smile to my face. I enjoy simply looking at them; though I do enjoy playing them as well.

I guess you don't take into consideration the many facets of the hobby. There's no rhyme or reason for a stamp collector to pay for that ever rare 13.5 perforated variation which costs $100 when he has the identical stamp with 14 perforation, yet he (or she) feels the need to have it.

In the end, I imagine if you reflect in upon yourself, perhaps you really are more of a nostalgic gamer than a collector. But as long as you're happy, then that's all that matters anyhow.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i buy crappy rare games to one day exchange for less crappy rare games. i'm sure i could exchange (ex. i'm not sure if this is accurate) a cheetahman 2 cart/cart with manual/cart with box for a copy of Dungeons and Dragons for saturn (complete).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Haven't we been here before?

Yes we have many times.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's no mystery, it's fun.

It's completing the set. it's a challenge. People have been doing it for years (see baseball cards and comics)

-Why buy X-men #1 if you are just gonna keep it sealed in a permabag?

-Why buy a Mickey Mantle rookie card if you are going to keep it in a safe?

Because it's COLLECTING. You buy to accumulate, not necessarilly to play.

MY complete 32X collection will sit on the shelf and never be played. (Yes that includes the Spiderman WoF that I paid over $100 for.) But everytime I walk by it I smile, it's an accomplishment.

Money is all relative. $100 a game is NOTHING in the way of hardcore collectors. Go ask the NWC Cart owners how much they plopped down to get those? I bet it's more than $100.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me being a "pay a lot money for games I don't play" type of person, I figured I better post in this thread.
    Here's the thing. If I want to play a game, I buy it. I own every game that I love playing, and if I ever want to start playing a new game, I buy it. For example, I've been trying to buy/play/beat every Zelda game. So, I've been buying all the Zelda games and beating them.
    So does that mean I don't buy any more games? I also love completing libraries of games for their respcective consoles, so that means that I am going to have to buy a bunch of games that don't want to play. Most of which, are going to be fairly cheap (for example, most of the NES games can be found for under or around $5). And does that mean that I get 90% of the released NES games and forget about the expensive games becuase they're bad? Well, most people would. But why not trying to complete the collection? One of the reasons why I am spending all this money to complete the NES collection is because I think its quite a feat to accomplish, and I've always wanted to do it.