Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Games Are Overrated to You? Underrated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over: Metal Gear series, Yoshi Story, Quake series, Shadows of Colossus, Red Steel, Max Payne, Dead to Rights

Under: Silent Hill series, Star Wars Jedi Knight, Body Harvest, Psychonauts, WCW/NWO Revenge

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    on a side note: ever play the arcade game TNK III?
    No...what is it? This sounds like something I should check out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread to express how much I've hated Final Fantasy (NES) and Final Fantasy 2 (SNES). I played FF1 years ago to see what the fuss was about. I'm trying FF2 because I hear FF3 is a masterpiece, and I may as well do them in order.

Well, I'm just not into it. I've gotten pretty far thanks to my boundless persistence. But this also includes trying to break my controller in half and screaming into pillows.

I thought video games were supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not so stressfully frustrating that you have a headache. I'm going to continue to try to finish FF2, but once that's done, I probably won't be playing it ever again, I hate it that much.
    First off I'm a casual RPG fan and have to say that I was like the many that played FFVII first and thought it was very good, since then I played FFVI (originally released years ago as FFIII on SNES) which I would highly suggest to anyone who's a fan of ol-school RPG's or a fan of FF. I tried to go back and play the first and I couldn't take it. Mind you, I love old school games but it just plain stunk. My point is when it comes to the FF series, you don't need to play every single one. Not just because none of them are cohesive (with the exception of FFX-2), but because not all of them are good. Despite my growing fandom of the series, I will still agree that it doesn't deserve all the attention it gets.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated-any EA sports game (I know they can do better) and Sonic the Hedgehog

Underrated-Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES), Blast Corps (N64), Shenmue I and II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

*applauds*

I was just playing it today... it's been a favorite of mine for years. Indeed, Iron Tank needs some more love.

on a side note: ever play the arcade game TNK III?
    I played that game a lot in my youth, and I still find it to be one of SNK's greatest pre-Neo Geo offerings, so I'm with you fellows on this one.

Also for the "under" file would be Psychonauts, Castlevania: Dracula X (the SNES game, that is), El Viento, and Iridion II (aka, the greatest Game Boy Advance shmup no one has ever heard of).

"Over?" Killer Instinct. Seriously, I've tried MANY times to get into it, and nothing's clicked. I'll also say Tomb Raider and... well, although I really like Halo, it truly is victim to its own hype.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    No...what is it? This sounds like something I should check out.
    I only found out about it not long ago, but it looks like Iron Tank's predecessor.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9998

I'd have played it by now, but I can't run MAME at the moment.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I only found out about it not long ago, but it looks like Iron Tank's predecessor.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9998

I'd have played it by now, but I can't run MAME at the moment.
    I mamed it last night (took a long time to get running as for somereason, MacMame doesn't come with a romlist and I had to monkey around to get MacMame to recognize the name of the romset.)

Anyway, it's pretty cool. You use separate analog control to control the turret. Gameplay is very similar, though it's definitely not as deep as the NES game. By looking at the map, it appears you just progress forward. Looks like a long game, though.

Another bummer is that, after the "Ikari-esque" intro music, all music stops and all you hear is tank rumbling. I love the tunes from Iron Tank, and this omission bummed me out.

Anyway, graphically it's actually not much better than the NES version, although the little soldiers are more detailed, and they bleed all over the place when you kill them.

Biggest leg up over the NES version is control, and you should try it for that reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Overrated:
    Castlevania - Symphony of the Night, not even close to being the best Castlevania game

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I mamed it last night (took a long time to get running as for somereason, MacMame doesn't come with a romlist and I had to monkey around to get MacMame to recognize the name of the romset.)

Anyway, it's pretty cool. You use separate analog control to control the turret. Gameplay is very similar, though it's definitely not as deep as the NES game. By looking at the map, it appears you just progress forward. Looks like a long game, though.

Another bummer is that, after the "Ikari-esque" intro music, all music stops and all you hear is tank rumbling. I love the tunes from Iron Tank, and this omission bummed me out.

Anyway, graphically it's actually not much better than the NES version, although the little soldiers are more detailed, and they bleed all over the place when you kill them.

Biggest leg up over the NES version is control, and you should try it for that reason.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'll try it as soon as I can get MAME running again.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Overrated:
    Castlevania - Symphony of the Night, not even close to being the best Castlevania game
    On that note, while I really enjoyed playing through Rondo of Blood (AKA Dracula X) on the PSP compilation (yes it was a very solid traditional Castlevania experience, but) I'm not quite sure what all the fuss was about ...

... I think that one gained it's over-rated-ness from years of being exclusive/elusive to Japanese PC Engine users.

Personally I still think Castlevania III is the pinnacle of the series (in it's traditional, non-back-tracking Metroid-y form).
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 01-30-2008 at 01:52 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like to use the term overrated, so I'll just say that I didn't really understand what people saw in Heavenly Sword. I became disappointed in the game once I realized that you WEREN'T mindlessly cutting bloody swathes through groups of enemies with this massive Soul Calibur of a sword....like the TV ads portrayed, but were reduced to block block block counter block block block counter. I wanted a violent hack 'n slash.

Another? Gran Turismo 4. Before you get all crazy on me, let me say that I am currently (as in on a daily basis) working on 200-pointing every race in the game. But honestly, GT4 seems like a game that was delivered in a rushed, half finished state...only after Polyphony realized that they'd spent too much time working on a futile online segment. The physics engine is overly difficult to get truly comfortable with. I fear for Turismo 5, in case consessions are made to it as well, all in the name of deadlines.

I'm NOT a Halo fanboy, no longer own a Microsoft machine, but I wouldn't say that Halo is overrated.....I'd say that in it's launch year it was darned spectacular for a console FPS. Ditto for Halo 2. It got plenty of people to take the plunge and put their consoles online....for better or worse . I'd say that NOW it's getting a bit "old" (Halo 3) and the sequels are not as memorable as our initial run through the first game was.

A game that was not as well recieved as it should have been? Klonoa Lunatea's Veil (PS2) or Primal (PS2). Also, I don't think that Whoopee Camp studios is still around, but I'd LOVE to see a new next-gen Tomba game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say that the Zelda series is sooooo overrated. I have tried most of them and get really bored fast.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

A game that was not as well recieved as it should have been? Klonoa Lunatea's Veil (PS2) or Primal (PS2). Also, I don't think that Whoopee Camp studios is still around, but I'd LOVE to see a new next-gen Tomba game.
    Dude, I JUST finished collecting every jewel for every stage for the picture book in Klonoa. I was actually thinking how PSOne had Klonoa, PS2 had Klonoa 2, so hopefully PS3 will see a 3rd installment. Klonoa did a lot of things that Sonic nor Mario ever did, plus the story, though whimsical still had more immersion than "Crazy Turtle Man wants to steal the princess from you" or "Crazy Fat Giant Moustached Man wants to capture animals for his bidding". No offense to anyone because I love those games, but once again, overrated.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated? Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time. I thought of adding Link to the Past to that list, but after re-playing it I can see how it appeals to people (though I wouldn't call it one of the best games of all time).

Underrated is the original Bubsy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

I've always been a huge Platformer fan, they aren't to popular in todays market but some of my favorite oldies are underrated and probably always will be

Underrated

Skies of Arcadia (dreamcast)- one of the best RPG's of all time in my opinion which deserves a true sequal but we will probably never see one...

Astal (saturn) - Astal is one of my favorite 2D platformers of all time

Rayman (saturn/psx) - Another one of my favorite 2D platformers which never gets the recognition it deserves.

Three Dirty Dwarves (saturn) - The first game I ever owned on the system, and still of of my top games of all time - a game which I never hear getting any recognition

Overrated -

GTA (any) - I never enjoyed this series much - and I don't understand why people love it so much - after 15 minutes of stealing cars it gets very redundant and boring.

I'm sure there are more, just cant think of any at the moment
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow View Post
    -Asteroids (can't remember). I hate this game. I hate the control, I hate everything. Galaga is so much better.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Galaga forces you to work in only 1-dimension (move left or right). Asteroids let's you move in any direction you please. Asteroids gives more freedom

Overated

Final Fantasy 7

Underated

Final Fantasy 6 (nee 3 on super nintendo)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

I think that Halo is very overrated. It is just a first person shooter and a boring one at that. FF7 is another overrated game. It just is not the end all be all RPG that a lot of people say it is.

Underrated, Grim Grimoire a fun RTS that just did not get the love it deserved.
    Wild 9 is an underrated gem that I find very fun. Few things are cooler that putting your enemy's through a grinder.
    SEGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Underrated: Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Another very UNDERRATED game that just came to mind is Monster Party on the NES. I LOVE THIS GAME! It's so ridiculously zany that it appeals to my ridiculously zany sense of humor, and obviously, the programmers were on something when they made it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drifter 2000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overrated:

- Smash Brothers Franchise: I can not get into these games whatsoever. Honestly if they didn't come jam packed with Nintendo characters I doubt half the people who love it would give it a second look.

- Zelda: Orcarina of Time: For whatever reason I have never been that impressed with this game (or any 3D Zelda really). Personally I think the series peaked at A Link To The Past.

Underrated:

- Super Mario Brothers 2: 90% of the people who hate this game loved it until they found out it originally wasn't a Mario game. It's certainly not the best in the series, but I find it very enjoyable.

- Mega Turrican: With great run n' gun shooters like Contra Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes a lot of people seem to overlook this little gem for the Genesis.