Thread: Videogame memorabilia...thoughtlessly ruined! (caution!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Videogame memorabilia...thoughtlessly ruined! (caution!)

You know, Star Wars and GI Joe collectors continually lament over the number of toys they ruined in their early years. Everyone I knew PLAYED with their toys, and ended up destroying many of the items which are now considered "collectable".

Videogame nuts are likely no different. Some of us received Activision or Imagic patches which we actually ironed on to clothing, or simply lost. We had cool stickers and other freebies which got tossed into a drawer and eventually destroyed. Videogame related toys? Trashed.

Though I have tried hard over the years to not ruin my game related junk, some things had to give. My particular example is a Sonic the Hedgehog lunchbox, that no longer contains the matching Thermos. Where did it go? Well, I actually tossed it in the river...so that I wouldn't have to worry about some hapless bum picking it out of the dumpster and being subjected to the contents. Are you curious?

You see, when I was much younger, I enjoyed drilling chicks. In fact, I still enjoy it (though nowadays there is no plural, as the "chick" is and forever will be my wife.) In any case, the big deal back then was that you had to worry about being caught by parents.

I had been subjected to the horror of "regenerating condoms"--you know, the kind you flush down the toilet, only to find floating in the bowl again later. It seems that condoms just don't want to be exposed to the septic wastelands, and they tend to put up a fight. Anyway, this happened once at a girl's house, and it was pure luck that SHE later happened upon the offending device before one of her parents did!

Well, I wasn't about to have this happen at my own home! Originally, I would use my own trash can as a disposal site, making sure to fastidiously clean it out afterwards. Over time, however, I began to hear "horror stories" from various friends about how they FORGOT to clean out their trash can, and their parents ended up dumping it! I tend to forget my duties from time to time, so I figured I was living dangerously. I needed another plan!

When the next "event" took place, I had not done anymore thinking or planning on the subject. I had not been prepared! My former Scoutmaster would not have approved of such negligence! Perhaps quick thinking would save the day? Of course! Where could I store a dirty, used up condom? In a box? No. It'd probably soak through the paper, then begin to reek ominously. Plastic tape case? Too transparent! Inside the pillow cover? Ugh. What about...what about the Thermos from my Sonic lunchbox? Yeah! That'll work just fine! Airtight, opaque, voluminous, and obscure! No one will EVER end up looking in that!

In one quick moment, I permanently transformed the food handling container into a biohazard cask. "Never again shall edible ravioli be transported in you!"

From then on out, I continued to make use of ol' Sonic. I never emptied it, and I never looked in it either. I simply tried to transfer the offending prophylactic into the container with maximum efficiency of motion. This continued for over a YEAR!

At some point, circumstances changed and I no longer had to worry about all of this. The Sonic Thermos had done well, and remained sealed like some unwelcome artifact from an earlier time. I'm not sure how long it remained on the shelf, but it was quite some time! Eventually, I thought it best to dispose of the entire apparatus (I actually gave some thought to cleaning it out! It IS a videogame collectable, after all! Better judgement prevailed..), and I wanted to make sure that no one in their right mind would open it. The outside was in mint condition, and it seemed reasonable to think that some bum might spot it in the trash and try to use it! So I drove it to the nearest river, and tossed it.

No more Sonic Thermos. I'll have to check eBay some day and see about a replacement...

Your turn, everyone! What have you ruined?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Sonic projectile vomits all over Tails.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default that 70's post...

"drilling chicks" ??? ...someone run me over with a pinto- it's 1974!

...you know 2000 years from now some aliens will find that thermos and recreate 21st century man from your DNA... :/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, that's quite a story ya got there Wavelflack!
    Anyways, getting back to the original topic - stuff that we've ruined: The only thing I can confess to doing is hanging the posters that came inside various games on my wall. I've pulled them down now, but they've still got marks on them from the tape I used to stick them up and a few rips here and there. I also bought an ex-rental NES game from a video store and it had one of those hard-to-get-off magnetic security tags stuck on the back. In my attempts to try and remove it, I really wrecked the back of this cartridge (to cut a long story short, let's just say there was turpentine and sandpaper involved. Hey, I was just a kid at the time, I didn't know it would wreck it!!). Luckily, the cart ain't too rare, so I ended up buying another one a few years later anyway. Other than that, I think I've been pretty careful with how I treat my games.
    Console Database TM
    http://www.ConsoleDatabase.com

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two stories.

The first one happened back when I was a kid in the 1st grade. I had a Super Mario Bros. Thermos which I loved to death. But being young and wreckless,it was put through a beating. I didn't take very good care of it and one day the whole inside section shattered.

The second one happened just recently. I keep all of my unplayed games in either the basement or a spare room and in the spare room a lot of NES games were scattered all over the floor. One game, being Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular, was stuck under the box frame of my bed. Since I wanted to play it that day, I then proceeded pick the game up off the floor. But from the weight of the box frame, trying to pick up the game off of the floor put pressure on the case. The end result was my plastic case being split in two. Now I take extra caution when handling all of my games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default X

I thought wavelflack was gay because of his avatar. Learn something new every day.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You sir are wrong!
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

eww...

just eww...

(thanks for the laugh, you have no idea how bad i needed it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh

my

God...
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought those "rings" that sonic was after looked kinda familar....now I'll have to replay a few levels and see if I can find any discarded wrappers in the bushes.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

{Reads above story and decides to never have sex again}

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, that's nothing... I remember reading a story about a guy masturbating onto his cub scout cap, over and over. Now THAT was sick.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is another HUGE missed opportunity for SEGA. They could have tapped into this market with their own line of used condom storage containers. They would've had Sega characters on them and lead weights on the bottom, allowing them to sink to the bottom of the nearest lake, pond or river. Now Nintendo is going to swoop in and capture this market, just like their monopoly of the handheld market, with their own line of Mario and Princess Toadstool used comdom holders.